  1) Re: Additional outside funding
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) Re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  3) Cheap  VW Bug EV's and  Contactor controllers!
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: 3 phase PM-long and heading OT
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: PM motor for gen, go carts, mopeds    RE: 3 phase PM-long and heading
OT
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: EVLN(pih: the solution is already with us)
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Disturbing energy use.
  8) RE: Disturbing energy use.
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: 3 phase PM-long and heading OT
        by "Andre' Blanchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Cheap  VW Bug EV's and  Contactor controllers!
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Additional outside funding
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: 914EV on ebay,, ooooo
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: 914EV on ebay,, ooooo
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Idea for generic adapter kit
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Emeter question
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Cheap  VW Bug EV's and  Contactor controllers!
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: 3 phase PM-long and heading OT
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: SiC Schottkys part 473
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: 914EV on ebay,, ooooo
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: 3 phase PM-long and heading OT
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
In a message dated 3/3/05 5:48:30 PM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

<< You are not suppose to exceed 10C >>
With kokams you can exceed 20C,there is also another I do not want to
mention.             Dennis Berube

In a message dated 3/3/05 11:43:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I don't think I would stand a chance of winning any national
 event even if I won the lottery and plowed $25k into my gasser.

I am working on a fairytale season here in phoenix this year with the planned
end result a national event win at Pomona finals.
                     There are 7 bracket races in arizona this year with a
$5000. payout.A very succesful bracket racer in az.this year could pull in
45,000+     Racing by the NHRA rules Dennis Berube

         Hi Cowtown and All,
--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> << I'd go with 72vdc pack of Trojan 27tmh 12v or
> t105-125's or US batt versions for longer range if
> needed charged with a 36vdc charger modified for
> 72vdc
> if using an E controller or my favorite, a contactor
> controller and charge them in parallel at 36vdc. By
> series/parallel both the batts and the motors you
> get
> 3 speeds and 4 gears plus reverse.
> This will get you a true 50mph and about 20 mile
> range with the 12vdc batt pack and probably 50 miles
> with the t125 pack. YMMV
> And do it for around $700-1200 for the EV parts
> depending on how well you can scrounge. And be a
> much
> better EV than the one from the website.

> A contactor controller is fine if you are building
> for someone who knows its
> limitations, but if you are aiming for the general

  They have done fine for 100yrs! And good ones easily
found as  used parts at forklift dealers or surplus
places as well as motors, ect.
  While you'll have problems as I did being too cheap
and using golf cart contactors, once I starting using
higher rated ones like the Albright SW80's bought
surplus for $14 each, I've had no problems.

> public, a couple percentage
> points lost in a controller is a lot easier way to
> handle speed adjustments in

    This is more a thought than actual problem in
practice and outright problem for a citicar! And power
available is 100% more than an e-controller!!!
    My E-woody uses a citicar motor and weighs about
the same.
    Using my contactor controller as with all lower
powered EV's, control is mostly digital, i.e., either
full on or off ;-))
   In fact I've went to just 2 speeds, a resistor for
soft starting, parking lots, and full on! Finding the
right resistor size is the key. Mine are the 2 largest
GC resistors in parallel and cost about $15 for the 3
coil set.

> traffic. This is why so many the C-cars are running
> around with pwm
> controllers, even if the original contactors were

    But they are dead slow with them and can't get out
of their own way. And can't start up even the smallest
hill. An E controller may be possible here in Fla on a
C-car, but anywhere you may have to start up a hill
the CC is very superior with 800 amps startup power vs
300 or so from a 400amp Curtis.
    Most C-cars after a short while with an e
controller switch back to a CC one after wasting $400
or so on it. The high 800-1,000 amp SRE-Alltrac EC's
may work better but cost as much as the whole rest of
the conversion, defeating the low cost idea here.
    With the easy repairability, low costs, low
downtime for repair, high starting torque, CC are the
way to go with a C-car and many other low power and/or
voltage EV's.

> easier to fix. Plus, Lawrence
> was just thinking of NEV use, so you shouldn't need
> to shift at all with a 25mph
> top speed.

    But why for the same cost wouldn't you want to go
50mph, limited by aero of the Bug, much longer range
for the same money, tag, regerstration fees,
insurance, and better resale value plus being able to
get out of it's own way?
    In SF I can't see other than a CC because of the
hills in this vehicle. With the 2 motor he and I
proposed it already has 3/4's of the contactors needed
anyway and other than SRE controllers, other EC's
don't let you use 2 motors series/parallel with their
EC's.
    Using my version you can have a good, easy, low
cost to convert, maintain EV for around town that can
get out of it's own way and costs much less to drive
than an ICE version or an EC version that costs more,
more downtime and slower. Your choice.
              KIS
                 jerry dycus

__________________________________
Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

Myles Twete [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Peter Vanderwal stated:

To be fair to Peter, he agrees with you; I am the skeptic.

> Further, one analysis which modeled 4 different motors,
> including the ETEK vs a Lynch Motor, shows the ETEK
> outperforming the Lynch motor for currents BELOW 40amps
> (though not below 23v).

Interesting, however, for someone who has already expressed frustration
at the differences between published specs and actual performance, I'm a
bit surprised that you are willing to gamble your friend's money based
on someone's *simulation* of what these motors might do.

> Sure, garbage-in...garbage-out...maybe the model sucks, and
> it depends on data from the manufacturers, which can vary
> widely in production.

Absolutely.  And, remember that you are planning to operate the motor
*way* off the intended region of operation, so the motor behaviour might
just vary more widely in production at your operating point than it
would if you were looking at operating the motor nearer its optimum
efficiency point.

> >From EVarchives, July2001:
> http://solstice.crest.org/discussion/ev/200107/msg00316.html
> I found this point made by Rick Woodbury regarding the Lynch
> motor curves:

Rick was writing specifically about ADC series-wound motors, not Lynch
PMDC.

> That is the key point---and why you don't see much relative
> drop in efficiency with voltage applied for much of the
> voltage range for these PM motors.  The efficiency largely
> varies with torque or load.  It is clear though that there is
> a knee in the efficiency curve as f(voltage), but that the
> knee is down more around 8v than 12v.

The efficiency is definitely strongly tied to the load/torque/current,
however, it does vary with voltage also.  The knee I have referred to is
that which occurs below a certain load/torque/current, not below a
certain voltage.

Good luck!

         Hi Miles and All,
--- Myles Twete <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks, Jerry!
> This could be the ticket for Dave's steamboat...:

    You are welcome. Maybe I could get a ride in it
and your EV boat if I ever make it over there?
    As a boat designer, builder of all types and steam
wantabee these both are interesting to me.
   I hope to make a steam generator, CHP system to
heat, charge, my house, EV's from biomass by way of
producer gas.
    This could be a good motor for EV go carts, light,
30 mph motorcycles, moped types ect too if geared
correctly so not to be overloaded.
      Glad to be of help,
                   jerry dycus

http://www.engineer.gvsu.edu/faculty/yackish/Tom%20Yackish%20Index/leeson24v

__________________________________
Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

> I just last week attended a symposium at WWU on the subject of foreign
> oil reduction through the use of ethanol and methanol (among other
* options)

Darn, Hasn't anybody been to brazil ¿???

The place reeks like rotten apples (or worse), they burn sugar cane alcohol,
i'm no biologist, but nothing that smells so bad can be healthy.

Let's face it, burning things won't get us anywhere, even something so
natural as burning wood makes a mess out of things, I live in santiago
Chile, things have gotten so bad here, that:

a) Cars have restriction, (this is, once a week, two digits are grounded):

Monday 7 - 8 / Tuesday  9 - 0 / wednesday 1 - 2 / thursday 3 - 4  / friday
5 - 6

This means that if your last license plate number matches any of the above
mentioned, your car stays at home.

b) Fireplaces can NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMNSTANCE BE USED  (fine close to
1000 US$.
c) On serious concentration days, thermoelectric plants will shut down,
causing electricity shortage.

So as you see, it's not nice, we do not live in a nice tropical world here,
we live in a world where unconsious abuse of the environment has lead into a
need of immediate measures.

I FORGOT...

Every day we use sun filters, because we happen to live under the thinning
part of the ozone layer, so UV radiation is always CRITICAL, if northern
guys lived here (read whiter : )) ) they would peel to death in weeks.

So the point here is to stop burning things altoguether, not just fossil
fuels, please remember the state in which London was in the early 1900's,
and that was due to the use of coal.

SAID:::

Ivo.