  1) EVs at Seattle Hot Rod Show
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: SiC Schottkys
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Aftermarket Hybrid electric system
        by "bholmber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Aftermarket Hybrid electric system
        by "Brown, Jay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Question: Max efficiency charging with 3 phase alternator
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Emeter question
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Additional outside funding
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Aftermarket Hybrid electric system
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Cheap  VW Bug EV's and  Contactor controllers!
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Emeter question
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Emeter question
        by "EAA-contact" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Emeter question
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Aftermarket Hybrid electric system
        by "bholmber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Aftermarket Hybrid electric system
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Idea for generic adapter kit
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Aftermarket Hybrid electric system
        by Frank Schmitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Aftermarket Hybrid electric system
        by "bholmber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Aftermarket Hybrid electric system
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Regarding the Spirit and Purpose of NEDRA
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Aftermarket Hybrid electric system
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Battery Desulfation of Lead Acid Batteries s
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) one-piece drive assemblies
        by Sam Uzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Folks

Posting this on behalf of Father Time-

100 mph NEDRA record holder 156V electric drag bike Dragon Rose and Coco Loto a '34 Ford 5/8 scale electric legend car will be exhibited at the Longley Motorsports booth.

The Seattle Hot Rod Show is Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, March 4-6 2005 at the Exhibition Center at 1st Avenue South and Royal Broughham just South of the Seahawks Stadium.

.

Roy LeMeur [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.cloudelectric.com http://www.dcelectricsupply.com

Cloud Electric Vehicles
19428 66th Ave So, Q-101
Kent, Washington  98032

phone:  425-251-6380
fax:  425-251-6381
Toll Free:  800-648-7716

My Electric Vehicle Pages: http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evpage.html

Informative Electric Vehicle Links:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evlinks.html

EV Parts/Gone Postal Photo Galleries:
http://www.casadelgato.com/RoyLemeur/page01.htm

visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- You could do this with just about any mostly-FWD AWD. Mitsubishi, Mazda and Toyota among others made AWD sports cars in the late 80's and early 90's, plus there are the various family wagons and small car-based SUVs that are available in FWD and AWD versions.

I've always thought a Honda Element would make a neat HEV (although the payload is crappy to start with). You could bolt in the new Honda diesel from the European CRV in front and borrow some parts from the AWD version to drive the rear wheels electrically.

The problem is that in a parallel hybrid you really want the front wheels to be the electrically driven part, since you can do much more aggressive regen that way. Otmar's Vanagon (is that still around?) was set up that way.

-Frank
Yeah, that came to mind, the hope was that the mounts and parts would match
up.  Making some room for the differental probably wouldn't be too bad. Plus
you could mount it in just about any direction you wanted.  I haven't looked
into it too deeply, but the idea sounds pretty appealing.  My CRX is hitting
191K, and still is running strong, though it needs a clutch, shocks, and
timing belt soon.

bholmber wrote:

> You're right. But, the 4th generation (88-91) civics and crxs share a lot
of
> components, so I figured that the adaption of the rear suspension from a
all
> wheel drive 5 door wagon civic onto a CRX should be possible.
>
> Brett

Jay Brown noted:

> The electric motors in the pictures sure look like a Lemco and an
> Etek...

Yeah, sure does, and I'm impressed that they're pushing the ETEK envelope in
the writeup: "provides up to 600amps at 48v"....i.e. an extra 38HP for
acceleration.
Maybe people don't realize it but while the ETEK is spec'd at a max. 150amps
or so continuous and 330amps for short intervals, it's short circuit current
at 48v is over 1000amps---though the brushes might just weld themselves to
the commutator if you tried this for more than a split sec...

I like their belt drive arrangement.
That's what I'd like to see my buddy Dave do on his steamboat---ditch the
extra steam engine and rig up a PM motor like an Etek to each of his prop
shafts with a bodacious belt drive---could be a hybrid steam/electric, steam
w/electric recharging, or, disconnecting the steam engines altogether, pure
electric.  He'd finally want to invest in real batteries....

-MT
* LP8.2: HTML/Attachments detected, removed from message  *

As one of the founding fathers of NEDRA, as a life member, and having served as
president
for the first 5 years, I'd like to speak up on the recent 'Dave Cloud's Rules
ideas'
subject and other aspects of NEDRA.

First off, a BIG thank you to Rod Wilde for standing up to pressures when he
feels they
aren't taking NEDRA in the right direction. I for one, appreciate all he has
and continues
to do for NEDRA.

The reason NEDRA exists, isn't to promote individuals, it's to promote EVs.
Lately, the
emphasis seems to be on how to reinvent NEDRA to accommodate 'winning' for
those who seem
fixated on beating the other guy or winning a prize. Don't get me wrong, we all
have fun
trash-talking each other, taunting the competitors, and in general, hyping what
we do, but
for the core NEDRA racers, we all understand that the most important aspect, is
promoting
the EV. We do this by dispelling the myth that EVs are dull, slow, and boring,
and by
mixing it up with muscle cars, rice burners, and drag machines as we
demonstrate how
powerful, quick, and fast EVs can be. Sure, it's fun to set records and to
'win', but it
isn't the driving force for us at all.
Having magazines around the world talk about fast EVs, seeing a report on TV or
a full
blown production like 'Sucking Amps', and catching the stunned reaction of
former
disbelieving spectators at the track, is how I define 'winning'.

My belief, is that having a powerful EV that also doesn't come off as a rolling
science
project, is far more important than 'winning'. It's easy to make a machine from
orange
board, duct tape, and hastily-made metal pieces that weighs next to nothing and
doesn't
even look like  a 'car', then run it down the track to set a speed record. It's
far harder
to take a recognizable street bodied car and do the same thing...which one
promotes the EV
cause better? When Rod Wilde showed up with Maniac Mazda, even though it was
highly
modified, everyone still new it was an RX7, and let me tell you, when it pulled
its nose
in the air, baked it wrinkle walls, and ran 11's and 12's, 'everybody' stood up
and
noticed the EV!

The same can be said for any of Father Time's beautifully crafted machines, Bob
Salem's EV
pickup, Dennis Berube's always detailed rail, Bill Dube's motorcyle...I can go
on.

> If I were to propose a new way to separate class divisions, it would be based
> on money, a standard claimer system used in
> many forms of racing.

Those of us who have spent years creating and improving our racing EVs, would
never, ever,
consider the option of allowing them to be subject to a 'hostile take-over'.
When Dave
Cloud says, "What makes a vehicle go faster is more money, not more voltage", I
couldn't
disagree more. What makes and EV quicker and faster, is years of dedication,
long hours of
often back-breaking labor, and most important of all, creativity!

As to those throwing stones at sponsorship, then claiming it was money that
made the EV
successful, I say rubbish. That word 'creativity' comes back into play. You
have to be
creative to come up with a vehicle and concept that catches the attention of
battery
manufactures, motor manufactures, or controller-charger builders. I believe
that anyone
can get sponsorship for their EV, but it certainly won't just get handed to
you. You have
to be unique in some regard (merely having a powerful and quick electric
vehicle can not fill
this requirement), you have to put pride and integrity into the vehicle to make
it
something a sponsor would feel good about having their name and products
associated with,
and then, well...you have to deliver! When I hear the whining about how money
makes you go
faster, it's a slap in the face to those who may have worked years building
relationships,
years struggling on a shoestring budget, and through persistence and sweat
equity have
finally get some batteries thrown their way, or a special deal on a controller,
or a
charger, or what ever.

It's also irritating when the same people who want to change rules so that
individuals can
'win', are often the same ones who are secretive about their designs, secretive
about what
worked or what didn't, and run around accusing others of doing this and doing
that. The
racers that share what they are doing, and report both failures and successes
to any EVer
interested, are often the same ones who have battery sponsorship or help from
controller
designers....it's kind of a 'what comes around, goes around' thing. Sure, each
race season
we all taunt each other and toss around 'secret weapon' teases and keep 'some'
things
under wrap, maybe for a whole week or two, but this is all in the name of
having fun. Go
to any racing EVent though, and you'll see these same racers popping the hood
to show
anyone what's under there...glad to share their ideas so others can come race,
too.

As to voltage classes not being effective, the proof is in the results. To Dave
Cloud, I
simply say, show up with a steel bodied street legal car, one that isn't
mutilated and
totally dysfunctional, run it at 72 volts, and run 12's....come on Dave, bring
it on!

Lastly, I mean no offense to Dave or others. Dave and I have known each other
for many
years now. It took a while for the two of us to connect, as we approach EVs
from entirely
different angles. I enjoy talking with him, and I am amazed at his creativity
when it
comes to a bare bones approach. He's a very competitive guy, and he knows how
to win
races, I'm just not sure if he knows what NEDRA is really all about.

See Ya.......John Wayland

it's a LEMCO not an Etek ! it can even go upper 600A  few seconds

Philippe

Et si le pot d'échappement sortait au centre du volant ?
quel carburant choisiriez-vous ?
 http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr
Forum de discussion sur les véhicules électriques
http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr/Forum/index.php

----

> * LP8.2: HTML/Attachments detected, removed from message  *

     Hi All,
       I want to enter a desulfator of a lightbulb and
a bridge rect from 120vac and want to know the best
way to do it. How long and when to stop?
       I was thinking connect it up with 1 wt/amphr
lightbulb and run it until the voltage reached 18vdc
per 12vdc nom batt. Would this be the way?
       Batts would be charged to start with.
                Thanks,
                   jerry dycus

> I bit the bullet and bought a Midtronics Midtron
> 2600 battery
> test/analyzer for the upcoming test of pulsers in

    Can this unit actually test for sulfation levels
accurately?
    He'll use it on old, selected for sulfation,
weeding out shorted, corroded batts then use various
desulfators, with 3 batts per desulfator, mostly pulse
ones and then test again to see if they did the job.
Does this sound like it will work well?

> March-June 05.
> This analyzer accurately tests the conductance of
> battery plates
> regardless of the charge state. This is a quantum
> leap over standard
> battery "load testers" (although 50 and 100 amp load
> tester will
> still be used, to provide additional "real world"
> working results).
>
> I had some commercial hi-freq pulser manufactuers
> shy away from
> entering their devices for fear that the results
> would not be
> accurate using load testers. After all, using a load
> tester and
> getting "real world" results is part skill, as well
> as science. Since
> I can now accurately measure the amount of lead
> sulfate removal with
> results that can be verified and repeated, I now
> feel that the public
> will get a true picture of battery desulfation, and
> how different
> desulation devices measure up. It's just a
> beginning, but a necessary
> step, because batteries are so much a part of our
> efforts in wind and
> solar power generation. Saving the environment from
> unnecessary
> recycling of batteries, plus advoiding the big dent
> in our budgets
> that AE storage batteries cost us, is a worthy
> effort. If that's not
> important enough, think of all of the auto batteries
> that get dumped
> every year. If we can prevent only a minute part of
> that, it's well
> worth it.
>
> You can bet your bottom dollar that most battery
> manufacturers
> already know those results, but it is not in their
> best interests to
> let you, the customer, know about it. This is
> because these results
> could jeopardise millions of dollars of future sales
> thru unnecessary
> battery replacement. AND you can bet you biffy, it
> does happen all
> the time.
>
> Regardless, I'm going to conduct these tests in a
> fair and objective
> scientific manner, and publish these results, for
> better or worse.
>
> The truth is out there...If you look for it with a
> clear and unjaded
> eye.
>
> Don in Tulsa

__________________________________
Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

I was just wondering how common a practice it is to remove the universal
joint from an existing drive train (transmission or other reduction
gearing, axle, joint, rear differential, wheels), and hard-mount the
tranmission and motor to the differential housing?... (I vaugely recall
reading about that before on the list, but can't remember details)

these one-piece drive units could be mass-assembled in batches from
varieties of scrounged/donated/purchased components pretty efficiently...
I'm guessing that, logically, the controller electronics should be
included in this drive unit assembly

use these drive units in conversions or, for more "ground-up" EVs,
load-bearing assemblies - including non-drive wheels (if any), steering
mechanism (if any), suspention (if any), frame, rigging (if any),
passenger containment (if any), power bus/batt. pack/charger - could then
be built from standardized/available parts to fit individual drive units
and operational requirements...

...something to keep in mind for the previously discussed non-profit
neighborhood public access EV shops, where anyone can take courses to
learn (and then practice) EV construction/conversion in a practical
environment...  each course would complete the entire construction cycle
(scrounging, prep, design, assembly test, certification) of a small fleet
of EVs for distribution and sale...  give people who complete each course
preference (and significant discount) on purchasing vehicles from the
fleets they've built...  also allow people to bring their own parts to
build up their personalized EV as one of the fleet...