  1) Re: Advice on electric scooter sought
        by cristin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Alexandra Paul arrested at EV-1 Vigil as GM hauls EV-1s away
        by "Chip Gribben" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Regenerating a series wound motor
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: RoboMower
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Warning sound for approaching EV
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  6) Re: sick Soleq charger
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Jeep EV Update DC/DC is DEAD
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Warning sound for approaching EV
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Flooded motor
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Tires again and Powerwheels
 11) RE: Advice on electric scooter sought
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Alexandra Paul arrested at EV-1 Vigil as GM hauls EV-1s away, Comments
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Tires again and Powerwheels
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Tires again and Powerwheels
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Warning sound for approaching EV
 16) Fix a Blown Link 10 EMeter
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Tires again and Powerwheels
 18) Re: ProEV wins first Autocross of 2005
        by "ProEV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Advice on electric scooter sought
 20) Re: RoboMower
        by Derrick J Brashear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---

On Mar 14, 2005, at 12:52 PM, Mark Dodrill wrote:

* Max speed required is 40 mph for about 1 mile
* Other times speed is between 25 and 35 mph

Hey Mark-

I'm not sure you will be able to get anything faster than around 30mph with a 1500w motor, let alone 40mph. a 750w motor might get you to 25mph with a tailwind, especially if you weigh 200lbs.

I own an evt168 that I found on ebay for $1k, it only had 50 miles on it, but the previous owner had trashed the batteries so he let it go cheap. The evt has a 1500w motor, and I can get to 30mph, a little faster with a downslope or tailwind. Pulling the pack out of an evt is a bit of a pain, but not too bad if you have batteries with handles.

You can supposedly get a 2000w hub motor for the evt which would increase your top speed, but reduce your range.

-Cristin
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:33:30 -0800 "Paul Scott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

The call came in around 10 am. I had just sent off the second fax to Bill Maher
and was about to start the LA Times editorial pitch. Alexandra says two
transport trucks just pulled in. I told her to verify that the EVs were being
loaded and call me back. I then began making calls to the top of the  list.
Within 5 minutes, Alexandra calls again to say they are indeed loading  EVs.

Then the fun began. I fired off a one line email to the EV lists, made a couple
calls and jumped in the car. Zan stayed home and started calling the  press.
Marc Geller was one of my first calls as I knew he could do a lot from his
perch in SF.

I arrived at the site about 30 minutes later and drove around to the Pickwick
parking lot to get a good view of the loading. It was then I realized I'd
forgotten the camera. Damn!

Luckily, Alexandra and others had theirs, so we were able to record the
happenings. Both trucks were close to full already. Crap, there comes a third
one. This is bad.

 The press were starting to come. KABC was there when I arrived, and  in quick
succession, CNN, KTLA, ABC, LA Times, Washington Post and NBC arrived. NBC was
very late, arriving as the arrests were being made. They are so lame, just down
the street and couldn't get there till the end. I was told NPR was there, but
didn't talk to anyone.

One unfortunate casualty is that the NY Times reporter, Chris Dixon,  was on
his way, but got pulled in route by his editor who put him on the reversal of
the gay marriage ban. Good news sometimes hurts:~)

The mood was high excitement as we waited out front with the  reporters,
talking to some, but mostly walking around with cell phones stuck to our
heads. I'm worried since I not only didn't bring my camera, I left my cell
charger, too. It goes from 3 bars to 2.

 The truckers make us wait. There are a few GM guys talking with the  truckers
in back. I check on Alexandra and Collette who are parked in the bike lane just
off the driveway, poised. Neighbors are coming out to watch from across  the
street. I'm sure many of them are happy to see something finally  happening.

All of a sudden, another transport, this one an open type, drives up and begins
to back into the drive. Alexandra surprised everybody as she immediately drove
up to block the truck from entering. She positioned herself smack in the middle
of the drive, on the street side of the sidewalk. She set the brake, rolled up
the windows and locked the
doors.

It was happening! The media swarmed. Not more than a minute later, the two
loaded transports from the back lot tried to pull out. There was Alexandra
stuck in-between three massive transporter trucks with her Rav EV decorated
with banners stating our case. Great photo op.

The police moved quickly as an officer walked up and tapped on her window with
his knuckle. She and Collette ignored the officer and continued looking
forward. Some talk ensues and the cameras recorded it all. Once it was clear
the two women were staying put, the police retreated to instruct the trucker
blocking the street to move out of the way. He moved to the median a short way
off and proceeded to load some ICE vehicles. Apparently, he wasn't there to
pick up the EVs afterall.

Lots of police are here. They keep coming, too. Several cars, some motorcycles,
tow truck and a paddy wagon! They seem to outnumber us.

Things are heating up. Everybody is either holding a camera, mike or protest
sign. Doug and Jennifer are leading the crowd in cheers. It's a great spectacle!

Chelsea, Jen and I were constantly on the phone, talking to press, the women in
the car, or others in route or at home wanting updates. The diesel trucks make
a hell of a racket. It is sunny and hot.

Seems like a good hour goes by with the activity level increasing  the whole
time. The police are discussing action, I could tell, so I wander over close
to them to get a sense of how they are going to make the arrest.

While standing near their huddle, the one apparently in charge and dressed in
civvies turned to me and asked to speak. I enter a small group of three
officers who introduced themselves and explained what they were going to do.
They were very professional and respectful and told me that if
Alexandra and Collette were willing to get out of the car, it would all go away
right then and there. I then walked over to the car and called Alexandra. She
explained  that she wasn't interested in such an ending. I related that to the

Lieutenant who then explained how it would happen. They would use a locksmith
to unlock the door, but if Alexandra kept locking it, they would have to break
the window.

I called her again. She assured me she would not relock it. The  lieutenant
then said that if any of the protesters interfered with the arrest, they, too,
would be arrested. Then about 12 or more police surrounded the car and a
locksmith went to work. The door was opened, Alexandra appeared to at first
ignored the officer until he took her left arm off the steering wheel when she
then spoke to the officer as she got out of the car in his grip. He fastened
the plastic cuffs on her and the cameras bunched in for the shot.

As she was led away, we got a good sound bite as she loudly exclaimed, "Save
the EV1".

Then, they turned their attention to Collette, who appeared to be resisting a
little at first, but eventually was pulled out and cuffed. Both were taken to
the paddy wagon and put inside. About 5 officers pushed the Rav EV into the
street where the tow truck guy quickly hooked it up. All very neat and
efficient. If only our auto industry were as good.

The trucks had the green light and pulled out into traffic. Our two
chase cars were ready to go, Chelsea in one and Mike Kane in the other. They
pull out and follow.

With the trucks gone, the noise level fell off substantially. The press then
turned to interview those of us left and the guards and police tend to the
cleanup.

With all this press, we better get our message out. It's a terrible waste if
those wonderful two women are arrested and nobody hears about it.

The chase cars continued to dial in with updates, but I've now been
on one bar for lots of calls. Just as I hear the beep, someone comes up with a
charger that's compatible. To make it better, I plug into the solar
array. Clean solar juice flows into the Motorola.

Now, I get calls from Alexandra to coordinate with her husband,
 Ian, on getting her out of jail. I waited a bit to get a charge in the phone
and drove over to meet him at the SPI chargers at Burbank City Hall.

As I close, Chelsea (accompanied by David Lane) and Mike Kane in the other car
are out past Palm Springs shadowing the transports to the EV1 desert death
camps.

Stay tuned...

 **** THIS JUST IN***** I was about to send this when Mike Kane called and
tells me just at the first truck with Chelsea and David following crossed the
AZ border, an AZ highway patrol officer pulls them over and tells then to stop
harrassing the trucker. Looks like he just wanted to delay them until the truck
could get away!! He reportedly chewed them out for
following the truck. The trucker must have dropped the dime on Chelsea.
Amazing! Big bad trucker being afraid of a tiny 110 lb. redhead. Sheesh.

Paul
310-399-5997
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Chip Gribben
Save the EV1
http://www.saveev1.oorg

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:10:51 +1100, djsharpe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Further to discussions with Lee:
> I have been driving my converted Daihatsu and agonising over the
> electrical braking situation at every traffic light. A solution that
> might be feasible is to hit the field winding with current in the
> opposite direction to motoring using two CTs (current transformer)with
> half bridge rectifiers. The high voltage side could be fed with a
> converter but I will not deal with this at the moment. There is no need
> to alter any topography to accommodate this.
> How this would work is that you have some additional control that cannot
> be activated unless you have a foot on the brake pedal first. The
> control could be on the gear shift or another pedal next to the accel
> pedal etc.
> What happens is that you hit the field with more current than the
> current being supplied to the battery. Perhaps this will be stable
> enough with an appropriate control system to slow you. As speed reduces,
> field Amps increases which is what you want. There should be a path
> around the controller with existing diodes. I have not heard of this
> idea before. It could be called a differential braking system for series
> wound motors.

I *think* that's basically what I tried except I used a low voltage
PWM controller to excite the field from a seperate 12V battery.  50A
in the field should result in 50A regen to the main battery.  Since
they are in series, the effect should be self regulating - the motor
cannot produce more regen current than the small controller provides
without lessening the voltage across the field and reducing the
generated current, and vice versa.
 I only needed one additional diode to allow current to flow from the
motor back to the battery pack, without taking a path through the main
PWM controller.

> The braking current would be much less than a direct current injection
> and should lessen the flux distortion/neutral axis issue.
> Is there a flaw in my logic?

A drawing would help :)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- So just let the charger run (Click, click,click) for a while, unplug for a while, then plug in again? Sounds like my cable modem...

Dave
Some call it retirement, some call it a second career... I just call it adding 5ive days to the weekend!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Derrick J Brashear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>