  1) Aviation NiCad maintenance book
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Warning sound for approaching EV
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Advice on electric scooter sought
        by Mark Dodrill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: dc-dc converter,5-40V, 5A control
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Tires again - tire width
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Electravan cord & safety switch problem.
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Canadian EV parts designer
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  8) Re: RoboMower
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Tires again - tire width
        by "Patrick Maston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Motor Break in
        by "STEVE CLUNN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Retail Value of 2001 Gem Utility?
        by "J Mac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Flooded motor
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Canadian EV parts designer
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Post disaster
 15) Re: dc-dc converter,5-40V, 5A control
        by Martin K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: RoboMower
        by Derrick J Brashear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) EV parts on eBay
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 18) Re: motor cooling
        by brian baumel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: BB-600 Nicad Cells - shipping
        by "Bill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) re: motor cooling
        by "Marc Michon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Regenerating a series wound motor
        by "djsharpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Stories on EV1 Vigil
        by Marc Geller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: Regenerating a series wound motor
        by "djsharpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Flooded motor
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) RE: Regenerating a series wound motor
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- "A short but in-depth guide from Jeppesen to construction, installation, and servicing of lead-acid and nickel-cadmium aircraft batteries."

http://www.amtbooks.com/aircraft_batteries.htm
Big problem, how do you keep your kilt from flying open when cruising
at highway speeds?

http://www.generalist.org/madmike/April2002/BikeLeftComplete1wBagPipes.jpg

> "Mad" Mike Shipway
>
> Ivo Jara wrote:

Hello all.  It's been so unseasonable warm and sunny here in Seattle this
year, I've been thinking using an electric scooter to get to and from
work, instead of my car.  A full electric car just isn't in the cards
for me now, but I did get a tax refund that might work.

I'm looking for an electric scooter that meets the following
requirments:

* It's a 11 mile (~18 km) commute one-way, so I'm sure I would
need to charge at work.
* Total elevation change is about 200 feet from start to finish,
with about a 250 max elevation gain in the middle.
* Max speed required is 40 mph for about 1 mile
* Other times speed is between 25 and 35 mph
* Some rolling hills but I can avoid any steep up/downgrades
* Full enclosure not required since I plan to ride only when
it is relatively nice
* Either homegrown or production would work
* Efficiency is more important than looks
* Needs to haul 200 lbs of people and stuff
* Don't care about battery weight, size, or chemistry, as long as it works
* Needs to have a seat
* Probably need at least a 750 watt motor
* Probably a 36 or 48 volt system
* Price of around $1500 US
* Ability to pull out the battery pack for charging is a plus
(even if it is 70+ lbs)

Does anyone have a suggestion on what I could use here to meet these
requirements, or modify something existing to meet them?
Ebay has a couple of interesting items: 7140833081,7141765328.

Also, if anyone knows of licensing/insurance issues related to scooters,
I'd appreciate that as well.

All feedback/thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

"I myself am looking for a cheap way of making 5 - 48V

(adjustable) max. 5A out of 36V. Anybody have an idea?

(Its to control the field on my 36V elec-trak
compound wound motor)

Markus",
I just wrote software for my 20A 3-phase BLDC drive
that allows it to run a series motor h-bridge style or
just regular
single direction series or PM up to 60A by puting the
the FETS in parallel.
You could put your shunt field in the H-bridge
configuration and have reversing capability.
It will go up to 20 amps in this mode, but I think the
ET field will draw less than 5A (more like 3 on my
E-15 I think).
Anyhow, this control is 3.5x3.5x2.5" and goes up to 63
Volts.
There's a schematic for all of the different
configurations for a 3-phase control.
Rod

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 07:06:02 -0500, Philip Marino
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Why do you want to change to narrower tires?
>
> For the same tire pressure and tire construction, the rolling resistance
> will be less for a wider tire.  (because the deflection will be less)
>
> The reasons bicycle tires are very narrow have more to do with weight and
> air drag than rolling resistance.  Also, narrow bike tires can be made to
> handle higher pressure more easily ( the tire stresses are lower for a given
> pressure if the tire is narrower) so that narrower tires can indirectly
> result in lower rolling resistance by allowing higher pressure.  Also,
> because the stresses within a narrower tire are lower, that allows for
> thinner, more flexible sidewalls; that can also result in lower rolling
> resistance.
>
> But these benefits doesn't apply to car tires - narrower tires don't allow
> for higher pressures ( and, I don't believe, thinner sidewalls)  Also, I
> don't think the weight difference would be significant in a car.

The width is significant in reducing drag though, even on cars.  And,
if you are using the correct pressure for the load on your existing
tyres, you will be able to increase the pressure when you go to
narrower tyres, thus keeping the deflection the same and running them
closer to their maximum rating.
The weight saving probably is insignificant on a car though, as you say.
Overall I think there should be a reduction, or I hope so anyway :)

Lawrence Rhodes wrote:

Bad design.  There is a nut holding the switch in the center of the four
charging contacts.  It unscrewed welding to the contact point of the 12v
system.  The truck runs but I can't get 12v out of the receptical.
Something blew.  Also the switch has two wires to one contact.  The only
thing I can think of is it is supposed to disable the 12v system  without
which the truck goes no where.  It must somehow make continuity to ground.
LR........

Not bad design, really really bad design. I sold my Jet 007 years ago, so I am working from memory here, so correct me if I am wrong. The receptacle on the EV is four prong male, the connector on the charger output is four prong female. The switch is a long stem single pole normally closed switch mounted in the center of the EV receptacle in place of a center contact. Unplugging the cord completes a circuit allowing the main contactor to close. When these switches failed, most were bypassed or removed.

Now, what is wrong with this picture. Well we have four male prongs sticking out of the receptacle that are always live. Two are pack positive and negative, two are 12 volt positive and negative. Either way, a disaster waiting to happen. Just add water or fingers or.... The charger output end is female, which makes sense until you realize the charger won't power up without first being connected to the batteries.

The charger output should be male, the EV inlet should be female. Yes, this is just the reverse of normal EVs, but remember you are feeding DC out of a charger not AC into one. On my Jet I replaced the defective connectors with a four prong roto-loc 30 amp female receptacle on the car and a matching male plug for the charger. In my case I gave up the "no drive off" protection. For you I would suggest using a 5 prong connector pair, with the extra pin jumpered to the 12 volt negative pin on the charger side. On the EV side, feed that lead to one side of the coil on a 12 volt relay. Feed the other side of the coil from the "ignition" hot. Wire the normally closed contacts on the relay to complete the 12 volt circuit originally wired to the receptacle switch. Now, when the cord is plugged in and the ignition is turned on, the relay will energize, open the 12 volt feed to the main contactor, and prevents the EV from being driven. Removing the plug cuts power to the relay and permits the main contactor to close allowing the EV to operate.

FWIW, I understand the original plugs and receptacles were a custom order item made especially for the Jets.

Thanks,

Mike Chancey,
'88 Civic EV
'95 Solectria Force
Kansas City, Missouri
EV List Photo Album at: http://evalbum.com
My Electric Car at: http://www.geocities.com/electric_honda
Mid-America EAA chapter at: http://maeaa.org
Join the EV List at: http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html

Has anyone dealt with products from ElectroCraft Systems:

http://home.interlog.com/~dgv/

Looks promising...

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:12:46 -0800, Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I will do that. I am wondering if there is a short in the batteries. When I
> attach the charger, it starts to fire up, but immediately shuts off, then
> tries again. The batteries are in a case, and I will have to find a way to
> open it to access the leads.

That's a possibility, it's also possible that the batteries have been
sitting for a long time and immediately go to a high voltage when put
on charge, and the charger logic shuts off.  In that case they are
probably useless but you could try charging them individually for a
few hours with an automotive charger.  If the robot's charger then
stays on, do a few full charge / discharge cycles and you might get a
bit more use out of them.

A simple multimeter set to the voltage will help you find out what's
going on if you can get access to the battery terminals.

32V for the power supply is not unreasonable if there is some sort of
charge controller circuit between the transformer and the batteries.

In Bob Brant's book, Build Your Own Electric Vehicle, he says to use the
largest diameter wheels with tires that are thin in cross section (175
is better than 185) and low in aspect ratio (50% is better than 60%,
etc.) that you can get away with, like a motorcycle wheel/tire combo.
This will give the lowest rolling resistance.

Patrick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Shanab" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Lawrence Rhodes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "J Mac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>