  1) Re: Warning sound for approaching EV
        by cristin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: ProEV wins first Autocross of 2005
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Kilo-Amp-About or Excuses help the ego.
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: ProEV wins first Autocross of 2005 OT: Snow White
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Renualt LeCar
        by Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Kilo-Amp-About or Excuses help the ego.
        by "Jack Knopf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: PowerPoint EV Presentation Updaet
        by Bruce Weisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: dc-dc converter,5-40V, 5A control
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Kilo-Amp-About or Excuses help the ego.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 10) Re: PowerPoint EV Presentation Updaet/1.79 comment
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: How fast can you do a conversion?
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: PowerPoint EV Presentation Update/Selling it
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: ProEV wins first Autocross of 2005
        by "ProEV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: EV-1 Vigil
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: ProEV wins first Autocross of 2005
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) EV prices, 2 motors ,, Eonomics of EV's  was Re: Kilo-Amp-About or Excuses
help the ego.
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: How fast can you do a conversion
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) SAFT battery company -- does anyone have a USA contact?
        by "Steve Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Picking  an EV to build, sell profitably, Re: How fast can you do a
conversion?
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- Personally, I'd love to have a little noisemaker that plays the sound from all of The Jetson's flying cars. one that rises in pitch and volume with speed :)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang has some lovely noises that could be sampled as well.

On Mar 3, 2005, at 12:17 AM, djsharpe wrote:

A vehicle inspector warned that my EV (Diahatsu Charade) poses a risk to
pedestrians cyclists because it is too quite. It needs according to him
a continuous sound. I seek comments from other EV or hybrid users.
Perhaps we could amplify the sound the brush gear makes or replicate the
horn of a main line loco. What do you think?
David

At 11:40 AM -0500 3-15-05, ProEV wrote:

I've done some EV autocross myself and have always done fairly well. Snowhite was wicked fast and they put us in the A mod class. Here's a pic from a race at Candlestick park years ago. http://cafeelectric.com/Snowhite1.jpg

Is there more information out about this car? Google and Copernic don't led me to much. What batteries, motor, controller, weight? How many times did the car compete? Useful lessons about EVs and autocross?

There's not that much out there since it was made in the early 90's before the internet was so big.

Snowhite was a simple square tube frame car made by Bob Schneeveis and some helpers. The Orangeboard body was made by Dave Cloud. It was originally built to run in the Phoenix 500 races until closed wheel cars were banned from that class.
The latest configuration was 20 red top Optimas in series at 240V, mounted in a novel arrangement that allowed changing all 800 lbs of them in 12 seconds during a race. The battery connections are made by "flashlight" style terminals built into the battery door, very quick, very safe. It runs one 8" ADC motor per rear wheel driven through Gates Polychain GT belts through about a 3.5 to 1 reduction. It has had three controller arrangements. First it ran with two Curtis 1221s at 120V each. Then in '93 it got the first car controller I ever built, the 1000A 240V 1/4 Meg #1. Sometime around 1996 it got one of the first Zilla controllers, back when 1200 amps was considered a insane amount of current. It has a series parallel switch for the motors that is manually operated. The 12" wide rear slicks limit the motor current at about 700 amps due to traction limit up to about 40 mph. Top speed is over 110 mph, but we don't really know. I don't think it even had a speedometer. Weight is about 1700 lbs with batteries. Quite a fun car.

Part of the goal of ProEV doing autocross is to prepare the car and driver for closed circuit road racing. Recapturing energy is an important part of our strategy. So the driver better get his mind around braking with both feet<G>. Better to make mistakes with cones than with tirewalls.

Ah yes, now I understand. Sounds good.
Btw, in my Honda Insight, regen is cancelled anytime ABS is activated. I thought it was an interesting way of dealing with some of the regen safety issues.

--
-Otmar-
http://www.CafeElectric.com

Out of curiousity, how much horsepower can your twin 8's
manage and at what RPMs? Any estimate if there's no hard
data?

That car is mean. It's had to have bruised many egos before.
I'm sure it got the Mustang guy to at least think some.
Crude oil prices just hit a new record today, $56.30 a
barrel for futures. And still rising. $3 a gallon gas this
summer seems inevitable, and many negative consequences
arise from its continued use. Articles mentioning
$200/barrel at the end of next year, and the world perhaps
hitting peak production November this year(In the event we
haven't already). We'll see what happens. Worst case
scenario: you'll be sitting pretty with your high
performance EV while everyone else pays out the ass for fuel
and starts clamoring to buy econocrap that still uses an
archaic fuel. :-)

Just think of the possibilities with some Li Ions in that
thing. Give it a 300 pound weight reduction on the battery
side of things, and give it some more reduction on the body,
and you may be pulling 12s with about a 2,500 pound EV.
Drive to the track, race all day, drive home, all on one
charge. Of course, that would cost a lot of money right now,
what with no mass production for the parts/batteries and
all.

Ever find out what's been eating into your efficiency? Given
Blue Meanie has a much smaller pack and more range, it
appears as if this car should have no problem attaining the
45 mile goal you stated on your website. But then again, it
may just be your lead foot skewing your range or perhaps the
Orbitals have a sizable penalty in max deliverable capacity
compared to Optimas when it comes to low discharge rates.

Whatever problems you have now, I could learn from. I may
encounter a problem like this with my car given it is an old
chassis. Almost a given. And if I want to make an attempt at
good range, I'll have to correct such a problem should it
arise. In the meantime, I'll be staying away from twin motor
setups. One motor is all I want, and I want at least 170
horsepower, preferably more horsepower at higher RPMs. Rich
Rudman mentioned his 8'' motor pushing 200 horsepower to
about 5,000 RPM. Don't know how he does it, as if Bob
Brandt's equations and the motor constants on the EV
calculator site are to be believed, with about a 60% motor
efficiency at 1,000 amps, well, an 8-inch would only appear
to put out a max of 100 horse or so at a much lower RPM, and
the 9'' about 135 horsepower at 4,000-ish RPM. I'll be
making a post asking about motor horsepower and stuff later
with my calculations listed and estimated efficiency vs. amp
numbers so people see where I get the horsepower numbers
from. Keep in mind this is using the constantsfrom the EV
calculator site, and they may be off when you get to large
amp numbers or have too different a voltage than the motor
voltage the constants were derived with.

Any upgrades planned for Poppy, to increase range and/or
make it faster? I'd love to see that car in person.

Otmar Ebenhoffershwietzerheimen wrote:

>It has a series parallel switch for the
>motors that is manually operated. The 12" wide rear
>slicks limit the
>motor current at about 700 amps due to traction
>limit up to about 40
>mph. Top speed is over 110 mph, but we don't really
>know. I don't
>think it even had a speedometer. Weight is about
>1700 lbs with
>batteries. Quite a fun car.

Wow. I've been looking for data on that car. 1,700 pounds
pretty much makes it fun by default, in my eyes. I bet that
had some kick to it...

Any idea what the range was?

What about horsepower and torque numbers?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I have been reading the list archives for a while now, and now I need help from the list! I have a Renault Le Car that has recently had all of its electric components, except the motor, updated. I have several problems.

The first of which is that I think the motor is making more noise than it should be. I have read severl conversion stories, and the biggest thing people notice when they first start driving their EV is that its silent. Well, mine isn't. It makes a noticeable noise, not a whine, but more than a humming. Its the original prestolite, and its being run at 96 volts as opposed to its rated 48. Should I be concerned, or do all motors make a noticeable noise?

I have been driving the car lightly, as it has a new battery pack, and I wanted to make sure it was broken in. But, upon recently installing the Amp guage I noticed that the car was drawing almost 200 amps cruising, and that it doesn't really coast. So I had the car serviced, and my serviceman informed me that not only were my brakes dragging, but the rear bearings were siezed. He repacked the bearings, and it appears to have gotten better, but he has no idea how to service the brakes since they are foreign made and adjust concentrically. Should I have simply replaced the bearings? Also, should I look into simply replacing the brakes altogether, and does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find these parts?

I really want this car to work at least somewhat like an EV should. Right now it seems that driving efficiently is impossible with bearings that don't really work and brakes that are dragging alongside the fact that the motor is drawing twice the power it should. Please help, and if anybody has any other suggestions please let me know.

--- Begin Message --- I would like to know more about the shift from series to parallel mode. If a person had a single motor could they gain more performance form shifting battery pack from parallel to series on takeoff? After all my 96 volt pack is dipping below 84 volts when I floor it. If I had the pack in Parallel when I floor it and then shifted to series when amps started to fall , would this not incease acceleration? From reading about the 100mph car I thought I had this figured out and he was switching his pack but now it seems that the motors are what is being switched. Anyway, I have four 1800 amp contactors that should be here Saturday and will give it a try this weekend. Do you think I need a make before break shorting strap when I do this or being it is just a motor it will not know the difference? One last question, my contactors have a pulling coil (5 amps) and a holding coil (less that 1 amp). How can I make it switch from pulling coil to holding coil automatically without interuption?
Thanks, Jack.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Otmar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>