  1) Re: Range trailer
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: More usable list format
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Series-parallel switch, Home made Controller
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Full-Size GM EV cargo van for sale at surplus dealer...
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  5) Re: EV-1 Vigil
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: DC DC Converter, series in, parallel out?
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: DC DC Converter
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: EV-1 Vigil
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Just some trivia...
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: EVLN(China Revives Market for Plug-in Electric Vehicles)
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 11) I'll be back
        by michael bearden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: DC DC Converter
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Kilo-Amp-About or Excuses help the ego.  OT: Motor Horsepower
questions.
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: DC DC Converter
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: DC to Dc converter
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: EV-1 possible solution
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: EV-1 possible solution
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: EVLN(China Revives Market for Plug-in Electric Vehicles)
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Transistor Votage Question
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Dual Charging
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: SAFT battery company -- does anyone have a USA contact?
        by "George S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Real Winner
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 23) Re: DC DC Converter
 24) Re: DC DC Converter
 25) Re: More usable list format
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: DC DC Converter
        by "Dean Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Give it a try and see.

I just might do that. They have a 3*4 trailer in there for about $200 as well, I really don't want something too big.

I guess the big problem with these are the lack of electric brakes. On the one hand EV's are usually at the edge of braking capacity and this Prizm has stock brakes (disc front, drum rear). On the other hand I have 50kw of regen ability and have been known to regen the car at 175 [EMAIL PROTECTED] volts (talk about serious charge rate)

The purpose of this would be to make the run from Relay MD to the EVA drag strip in Hagerstown without a stopover charge in Frederick. Last year with new batteries I ran 47 miles on a charge and just made it into Frederick with 37 amps down (well into the bottom 20% on the pack). If I included a string of 250 37ah NiCDs in parallel with the Hawkers that could boost my range to 70-80 miles or so.

Could a PFC20 take 300 volts DC input from a set of flooded NiCDs and put 30ah regulated into my pack (300 volt pack at cruise)? Ifso I could wire it into the MagneCharger's port on the battery pack (30 amp rated wire) and not have to worry about different chemestry and a set of contactors and breakaway interrupts. Then to charge the NiCDs it's just a matter of reversing the PFC...

Chris

Here is a 4' x 8' folding trailer rated at "1175lbs" for $220:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90154

Smaller one for less money:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42708

Or one for a little more money with a metal floor:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=2575

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- At 11:42 AM 18/03/05 +1100, you wrote:

Dear Sirs, Would another form of the list -a web based forum-serve us better?

David

Sorry David, This comes up every 6 months or so, the answer is for 95%+ of users, a most emphatic NO, this list ain't broke, no need to fix it.

Several have set up alternative forums, no idea how much traffic they're getting (I doubt enough to make it worth it). This list is fine for over 1000 users (the exact number seems to be secret #1). With the large amount of traffic and many users on dial-up the text-only mode limits the file size for the best. This structure also blocks viruses and inhibits spam.

Regards

James.
 Hi EVerybody;;

   OK My cage has been rattled on this one!! I drove my Rabbit for about 3
years with a homebrew Contacter controller, that worked just ducky fine!
Lee, I believe you called it a "Rectacter" controller, because I used that
wierd feature of Diodes, they pass current in one direction, when they arent
shorted out<g>!

    I built up a 3 speed controller, yeah? That sounds like it would be as
smooth as driving on RR trax, but if ya run a tranny, AND clutch, and drive
it like a gasser, slip the clutch starting out and shifting I made it as
smooth as a GAS rig.

   OK ,to do a 3 speed in the Baker or Rausch Lang tredition, I had 3
speeds, voltage wise, or the pack wired up in blox of 30 volts each. When
car was at rest, I used 4 big ass diodes to parallel the battery banks. To
speed up, would pull in as big old two pole Hartmann contactor, from my EFP
Daze in Detroit. This would shunt out two of the diodes. CLICK! Instant 60
volts WITHOUT, the drop-to-zero thing that Lee mentioned, with a bit of
clutch slip, you gliss up to a faster speed. For all out 120 volts I pulled
in a single pole to connect the two remaining packs, that are still pulled
in @60 volts to go for 120. Still with me? Believe me it took a lota bench
playing around with batteries diodes and clipleads to figgure the damn thing
out. Oh yes, you start the drill with a main contacter, to pull in to move.
Line switch on a lokie, or streetcar. THIS one hasta be able to break the
power, but with a roller cam of microswitches , hooked up to the gas pedal.
it HAD to sequence up and down, breaking power in a nunber of places.Hell,
all you need is a double pole and two single pole contacters. I dig my old
Rabbit controller up onto the bench to show Dave Cover, when he was over.
Looked at it longingly, the  clean, like NEW contacter tips, Freewheeling
diode works great, the line switch was chewed up from doing burnouts as best
my wimpy Diseasel Rabbit clutch would let me.With a stronger clutch I woulda
busted trannys in Waylandsque fashion, Left the clutch as a mechanical"fuze"
if you will. I think I will restore this faithful box. The Line switch came
from a Budd RDC car Amtrak was junking years ago, it was for the 60 volt DC
motor that ran the air compresser. A Cutler Hammer, got a 12 volt coil for
MY uses. RR stuff is nice often has arc shutes. Big Ass diodes came from a
burned up diode panel from an electric  MU car for ac to DC rectifuication,
600-700 volts so they had a good enuf PIV. Big Ass diodes are common in
surplus places. OK the other thing I built in was a small AC relay that
pulled in when ya applied 120 VAC charging power. Opening up the Line Switch
so the car wouldn't take off, if in gear and putting EVerything in series
for charging. The safety feature of damn car won't GO when you get in to
drive and it is still plugged in.

    Before getting carried off in clouds of contentment, here are the
downsides. Miles of power cable, 2 ought the bundle of cables were as big
around as my arm, 8 as yur connecting, or have to pipe all the battery
commections up to the comtroller. This can be a pain in the ass at wiring
time! Taint as smooth as my Rapture, THAT's why I fondly call my Rapter,
with it's glassy smooth power imput. Once built it was darn near
industructable, But I DID blow out a RR diode, pulling out of Cumbersome
Farms a milk run and POOF went the fuse when I made transition, RR term,
here.To a higher speed, Usually a hiway launch was click...click,, click,
power ON speedshift! Don't try this at home, unless yur godamn GOOD at it.
Of course the heavy Diseasel flywheel kept motor RPM in limits, but if ya
miss a shift you could blow the motor up. Forget a direct drive, it would
rattle your tooth fillings out!OK soften it up with resisters that you could
go through twice, RR Trolley car style, or get a 5 speed gear box, cruise @
60 volts, batteries love it!Oh yeah! Ya SHOULD , Gotta, fuze EACH 30 volt
battery bank!! Safety here, pop out ALL the fuzes and diddle away, working
on car, in relative electrical safety.

    Botton line, you CAN do a cheepo contacter controller of this sort, and
if it breaks any bright 12 year old kid can figure it out and fix it! How
good of a parts scrounger are you?Helps if ya work for an RR and know where
old trains go to die!<g>!

   YMMV

     Clicking along

     Seeya

http://www.recycledgoods.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=9435
No personal interest, I just stumbled across this, and it's hard to find with
Google.  Might be a good opportunity.
-Jay

> Chip Gribben wrote:
>
> >My idea to take out our frustrations on GM is to
> >procure a Hummer H2
> >(legally of course) and have a slam fest on it.

What if instead we could use the "amazing" Electrovair II in our favor somehow.

http://www.cardatabase.net/static/Chevrolet/Electrovair_II.php

The fact that they made that car way back in 1966!

"532 volts using silver-zinc batteries.  115 hp AC-Induction
motor.  Top speed of 80 mph.  Range was 40 to 80 miles."  In 1966!!

http://www.corvaircorsa.com/monzapr7.html

I say let that propriety, black box, EV1 go.  GM is too tied up with
the oil companies.  It seems some on this list are attempting to start
their own conversion companies.  That is the way to go.

Imagine an entire used car dealership where every car on the lot was
converted to electric.  With the way oil prices are going, and if the
conversions prices were reasonable, they might very well sell to early
adopters.  Got to get the ball rolling some how.

I want to build a performance EV for myself.  With an impressive
example, it should sway peoples preconceived notions of electrics.
After I build mine, I MIGHT consider doing clean conversions and
selling those on the side.

All input is welcome .

Martin K wrote:

Martin K wrote:

There's absolutely no guarantee that they are going to share the current the way you want them too.

Do you really have a 348v pack?

As this is very similar to the last email I wrote, I'm going to tell you that 247VAC would rectify to a voltage of 349VDC, and I THINK the range for universal input goes from 87-247VAC (though I just found one that says 265V)

You /could/ try it. I wouldn't.. well, without safety glasses.
HVDC scares me, what can I say.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was talk of a second power supply there. (the SD-200) Ignore above comments please.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Consider me a lab rat. Thanks for the regulator chip pn# I will d more research.
Mike G

Martin K wrote:

M.G. wrote:

Would it be possible to connect an fet to a duty cycle oscillator to make a cheap dc-dc convertor? I would like to run a 48 volt power steering pump from a forklift with a 150 volt battery pack.
So if I build a 555 timer with a 30% duty cycle could I connect it to a large enough bank of fet's to run it safely? I think I would need about 30 amps continuos 50 amp peak. Would this be more efficient than a Mr2 power steering setup?
Mike G.

30 amps at 48v is almost 2HP. Are you sure it's going to use that much electricity?

Trying to build something including "a bank of FETs" that potentially supplies 2.4kW as your first SMPS is a recipe for flying bits of plastic and silicon. If you are very careful and you get someone to design something for you (or at least have someone check out your design) you might get lucky and have something that works. But you need things like current limiting, and if you add that you might as well make it regulated with a chip like the MC34025. I don't mean to discourage you, if you really want to do it you can - but it'll take a lot of time and learning.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I say, hit 'em where it hurts! The EV1 was created with tax money, and the government gave them some sort of incentive to produce it, I say write your congressman and representatives and tell them that GM needs to give back the money!

Dave
Some call it retirement, some call it a second career... I just call it adding 5ive days to the weekend!

I say let that propriety, black box, EV1 go. GM is too tied up with the oil companies. It seems some on this list are attempting to start their own conversion companies. That is the way to go.

http://econogics.com/ev/evhistg.htm
EV-1
Impact
The Impact was the prototype predecessor to the EV-1, designed primarily by
AeroVironment. Interestingly, the performance of the Impact seemed to diminish
as it evolved into the EV-1. Consider the GM-published specifications for the
Impact:
Acceleration - 0-60 mph in 8 seconds
Maximum speed (governed) - 70 mph; (modified for speed tests) - 183 mph
Range - 120 miles at 55 mph steady speed
These figures were achieved using 32 Delco-Remy 10-volt sealed lead-acid
batteries rated at 42.5 Ahr, weighing a total of 870 pounds. 2 AC motors were
used, one to each front wheel, each rated at 57-hp at 6,600 rpm, with voltage
ratings of 320 volts. These figures were established and published in 1989.
Compare those figures to the specifications of the EV-1 delivered 6 years
later, still a 2-seater, highly aerodynamic car.

Dave
Some call it retirement, some call it a second career... I just call it adding
5ive days to the weekend!

     China is building the worlds largest Hydro power plant, so they are on
the right track. the US will soon fall behind!
Larry cronk 72 Datsun ELEC TK

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I have to sign off of the list for a few weeks, to catch up on many things in my life. When I return, I am going to be selling all of my EV projects and excess supplies. This is to accomodate my new EV, which is Brian Hall's '76 Porsche 914. I am going to re-configure it in the next few weeks, and will be cruising Sonoma County again in EV style.
If anybody knows of anyone who wants to do a BMW 300series conversion, I have everything (!!) they need....except a donor car.
As the Great John Wayland says....
See ya!
Michael B.

Mike wrote:
> For $69.00 and up Newegg.com
>(http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-153-010&depa=0

><http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-153-010&depa=0>)

> has the universal (a.k.a. PFC) power supplies you are looking for.But,
> they only supply around 16-20 amps on the 12V rail.

Mike, that's just the kind of thing I was looking for (so apparently I wasn't looking in the right places) ;-)

$69 for a 15.8 amp, 12 volt supply is just fine as a temp. solution, and is better than having NO DC/DC converter, but most importantly I can afford it as opposed to a $200+ unit like the meanwells and DC/DCs built for EVs. Hmmm, so 100-240 VAC input should be a higher range in DC, right? Like 120-270 volts or something?

No matter, my 160 volt nominal pack usually stays between 130 and 205 volts (max voltage sag to max charge voltage).

Thanks!

--
-Nick
http://Go.DriveEV.com/

Otmar wrote:

>I've done some runs with a G-Tech meter and IIRC it
>was peaking at
>210 HP. I think that was somewhere around 2000 rpm.

Does it hold that power reasonably well, or does it rapidly
taper off? Any idea what it is putting out, at say, 5,000
RPM? I do believe those 2 motors are making like 1000 lb-ft,
if I remember correctly. Strip the gears of a Porsche 930
turbo transmission!

It appears John Wayland is putting out similar power(Minus
30 horses or so) to Poppy with just one 9'' motor in his
Meanie, in order to get 0-60 in 5-6 seconds. That at only
1,200 amps. Adjusting brush timing must really skew the
motor constants, as from a WarP 9'', it appears as if I
wouldn't get more than 145 horse or so at 192V and 1,000 max
motor amps, unless I start changing the constants around,
but that wouldn't be so accurate. Since an ADC9’’ arcs
way before 192V, like at 156V, it seems that would make even
less power, even with 1,200 amps. 145 horse from a WarP 9''
would give me 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds or so from
simulation. Top speed 115 or so at motor redline of 6,500
RPM, varying with tire size. I figured maybe to save weight,
I might want to look into an Advanced DC XP-1227A, which can
handle 8,000 RPM. That may allow me to look people in the
eye and tell them my EV can hit near 140 when I have it,
which would really draw attention to the car and the
possibilities of electric propulsion.

Here are the input parameters I used for the acceleration
simulation, for those curious:

Gear ratios: 1- 3:14
2- 2.01
3- 1.33
4- 1
F- 3.70
Tire Diameter: 21.9 inches
Weight: 2,600 pounds
Center of Gravity: 17 inches (Guessed figure)
Front/Rear Weight distribution: 49/51
Wheelbase: 83 inches
Coefficient of Drag: .28 (Apparently .32 stock, but it could
be lowered)
Frontal Area: 14.9 feet square
Drivetrain Efficiency: 87%
Rolling Resistance: .008 (Non LRR tires for good
handling/traction in this case)
Tire inertia: .6 slug ft squared
Brake/Steering Drag: .003
Barometric Pressure: 30 inches mercury
Temperature: 70 degrees
Wind Speed: 7.5 MPH
Shift points:
Start in 2nd Gear
2 to 3 @ 4800 RPM for .4 second shift duration
3 to 4 @ 4600 RPM for .4 second shift duration (This car has
a really short stroke though, as it shifts faster than that)

Using the EV calculator, with a 300V pack of Optima D750s,
I'd have about 80-100 miles range at 65-70 MPH with 30 amp
draw. Don't think it will turn out that nice, but maybe I'll
get lucky. As stated before, just to be on the safe side,
I’m expecting 30 miles.

Anyway, here are the equations used and the profiles I
created for the WarP 9''(Using same constants as the ADC
9'', so it may be off a bit given the WarP 9’’ is a
stronger of it):

V = (d*rpm)/((a/(torque^b))+c)
torque = k * i^n

k = .0085
n = 1.55
Max i = 1000 amps
b = .907
c = 2068
d = 120
Max Motor volts = 192 (This is the rated voltage of the
Netgain WarP 9'')

Chart:

RPM..AMPS..Torque..Efficiency..RealTorque..HorsePower

0rpm..1000amps..380lbft..55%..209lbft..0hp
1000..1000..380..55..209..40
2000..1000..380..55..209..80
3000..1000..380..55..209..119
3647..1000..380..55..209..145 **peak horsepower**
3840..726..231..67..155..113
4030..584..165..73..121..93
4220..495..128..77..98..79
4410..432..104..80..83..70
4600..386..87..82..71..62
4790..350..75..83..62..56
4980..321..65..84..55..52
5170..298..58..84..49..48
5360..278..52..84..44..45
5550..261..47..84..40..42
5740..246..43..84..36..40
5930..233..40..85..34..38
6120..222..37..85..31..36
6310..212..34..85..29..35
6500..203..32..85..27..33

Some may recommend a Zilla 2k for me. But I don’t want
more than 220 or solb-ft of torque. I don’t want to break
stuff. I’d rather see higher power at higher RPMs if at
all possible, even at the cost of maximum torque. I don’t
care to do an entire overhaul of my rotoflex suspension in
order to fit a stronger transmission and differential than
the Triumph TR6 units I have in place, which supposedly can
take 300 lb-ft and 250 horsepower in a racing application.
And two motors is a turnoff, given the efficiency losses I
may encounter and the literal pain in the rear it will be to
correct(Noting Otmar’s Porsche as an example). That, and
if I did two motors, I definitely wouldn’t want a belt
setup, but a Wayland like setup on his Zombie, which I may
not be able to fit without severely butchering this car. The
calculated 145 horsepower would be satisfying enough, but if
more can be gotten from just 1,000 amps, then I damn well
will want it! 14s and low 15s in the ¼ are good enough,
low 14s and faster would be perfect. Just enough to
embarrass or at least match the new Mustangs!

I’m sure Rich will have some comments to the accuracy(or
lack thereof) of these theoretical figures. I do recall him
mentioning he can somehow get 200 horsepower from a single
XP-1227A at a high 5,000 RPM with a flat torque curve to
that point, somehow. I’m very intrigued at that prospect,
as it would potentally allow me to use a single motor setup
and have some nice top end power as well, allowing for a ~ 5
second 0-60 off a Zilla 1k(In the event that Rich used 1,200
amps and a single motor for that 200 horsepower figure). And
the high redline of the XP-1227A could bring me close to 150
MPH, which I’d just love to do in an EV(Officer, I
couldn’t have been going 150. I assure you, it’s an
electric car.). Basically Porsche performance for Chevy
money, with an alternative fuel at that…

In the case Rich can get a single XP 8’’ to do this,
I’ll have to buy one used and pay him to mod it for me
when I get the cash.

I thought of going to manual steering, but will not.

I have several reasons for this, one relating to EV PR. For example, I've had quite a few people with badly misconceived ideas about EVs ask me if it has "standard" features like power steering, power brakes, etc.. Some clearly expect an EV to not, you know, because they are so "different and impractical." When you can tell them and SHOW them that your EV does in fact have these features and does in fact drive like a "normal" car (but with a shorter range), I believe it helps our cause.

This is why I also need to work on installing Air Conditioning back into my Cherokee sometime soon. While I might not use the A/C that much (due to effects on range and because I am used to driving my Jeep Wrangler which has no A/C), I still think it is important to install because most people in hot south Texas expect a car to have working A/C.

So, now that I've digressed from the original topic, I guess my point here is that one of the design goals for my Cherokee EV was/is to make it be able to function just like it did as a gasoline powered vehicle or better (you know, minus all of the pollution and noise and other nasties). Removing power steering in favor of manual steering would violate this goal.

Besides, the power steering has a negligible effect on my range when I have a working DC/DC converter. ;-)

Ryan Stotts wrote:
Nick Viera wrote:
I'm guessing you aren't using an MR2 power steering pump? I wish I could
get by with just a battery, and I've been forced to try that and it
isn't working very well; my range is now limited by how long it takes my
12 volt battery to discharge (which is like 7-9 miles during the day,
very few at night) :-/

Put a manual steering box on that Jeep and extend your range: http://www.discountjeepparts.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/91_459_786

-- -Nick http://Go.DriveEV.com/ 1988 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 EV ---------------------------

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Could you keep the existing powersteering box and put a single acting hydralic valve in the circuit?

Operation would be :

When pump is off, spring returns hydraluic valve allowing fluid to move freely between supply and return, It will turn easy at speed that way.
Then, when you are parking or something and really need the help, flip a switch on the dash that closes the hydralic bypass valve and starts the pump.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.7.2 - Release Date: 3/11/2005

If GM sells some vehicles provided they do not go on-road, perhaps someone
on the EVDL with good powers of persuasion could contact Jay Leno and ask
him to convince GM to sell him a non-stripped EV1 if he promises never to
make it a road vehicle.  Then an entourage from the EVDL could go reverse
engineer the car at Jay's place.