  2) Rabbit replacement
        by John Shelton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) more hybrid ideas-smoothing the flow
        by John Shelton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: DC DC Converter
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) another fan question
        by John Shelton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) wanted 48-54v(ish) programmable, 20A charger
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) power steering and AC, was Re: DC DC Converter
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: another fan question
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Dual Charging
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Dual Charging
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Fiero range
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 12) RE: EV-1 possible solution
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: EV-1 Vigil
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: EV-1 Vigil
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: DC DC Converter
 16) Re: Introduction
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: DC DC Converter
 18) Re: DC DC Converter
 19) Re: Dual Charging
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: DC DC Converter
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: More usable list format...tried that
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: more hybrid ideas-smoothing the flow
 23) Blue Meanie - California Poppy comparo
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: another fan question
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) RE: Transistor Votage Question
 26) RE: EV-1 possible solution
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:24:14 -0800, Lawrence Rhodes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-153-010&depa=0
>
>       Thermaltake W0011+PFC Silent Purepower 480W with Silver housing -
> Xaser Edition ATX 2-Fan Power Supply
>
>       Model# W0011 + PFC (SILVER)
>       Item # N82E16817153010
>
>       Specifications:
>       Type: ATX
>       Maximum Power: 480W
>       PFC: Active
>       Power Good Signal: 100-500ms
>       Hold-up Time: > 16ms at Full Load
>       Efficiency: > 65%
>       Over Voltage Protection: +5V trip point<+6.8V;+3.3V trip
> point<+4.5V;+12V trip point<+15.6V
>       Input Voltage: 100-240 Vrms
>       Input Frequency Range: 47-63 Hz
>       Input Current: 8.0A
>       Output: [EMAIL PROTECTED];[EMAIL PROTECTED];[EMAIL PROTECTED];[EMAIL
> PROTECTED];[EMAIL PROTECTED];[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>       Question?????  What is Vrms?  LR...........

"Root mean square".  It is a way of expressing the AC voltage so that
it gives the same heating effect as the same amount of DC voltage.
However, when you rectify the AC supply (turn it into DC) which is
what happens as the first stage of some power supplies, you will get a
DC voltage that is close to Vpeak.
.  e.g. for 100V RMS the power supply sees 100/0.707 = 140VDC.  So,
you wouldn't expect it to work at a lower voltage than this if
supplied from batteries.

You may have trouble drawing full current from the 12V output of a
computer PSU without using any 5V current.  The transformer is
multi-tapped, but the regulation is done on the 5V or 3V3 rail.  So,
typically you can expect the 12V rail to sag a lot.

With all the talk about copying the EV1, I thought I'd share my plans
for my EV. I think we already have a great replacement for the EV1,
the Honda Insight. My plans are to drive my little old 72v rabbit and
slowly upgrade all the components as I can afford to. I'll have a
functional EV that only gets better. This is going to be my learning
curve car that I can make mistakes with. I've seen a few 100,000+ mile
Insights on Ebay for about $5000 and they will only get cheaper. If
I'm lucky, I'll be able to find one with a blown engine or ruined
battery pack. The target price I'm hoping to get is $2-3000. Then I'll
put all the components in the insight and have a killer, lightweight
EV. It has great aerodynamics and if you cover the bottom and block
the front air vents and it gets even better. I think that would be a
great car to use as the new EV standard, the new Voltsrabbit
replacement. Whatta ya think Mike Brown?

John Shelton

I was thinking of efficiency with my hybrid pickup idea. Actually,
this idea might work with just about any ICE or hybrid with enough
room for the components. I saw a picture of the bottom of an exotic
sports car and the underside was mosty just flat carbon-fiber panels.
I was thinking that this might be possible to do with a normal car. I
saw some 12v 436 cfm squirrel cage blowers on

http://www.surpluscenter.com/electric.asp?UID=2005030502490527&catname=electric

I could wrap the exhaust with the same kind of insulating wrap like
bikers use to keep as much heat inside the exhaust pipe and place
blowers in different places around the frame to blow or suck heat out
of the compartment. Yeah, I know this might be a diminishing returns
kind of thing but I can put in a lot of work right now and it will pay
consistent dividends over the life of the vehicle. How do I determine
how many CFM I need to move to cool a 2.4 liter, 4 cylinder gas
engine? Thanks for any help.

This is why I also need to work on installing Air Conditioning back into my Cherokee sometime soon. While I might not use the A/C that much (due to effects on range and because I am used to driving my Jeep Wrangler which has no A/C), I still think it is important to install because most people in hot south Texas expect a car to have working A/C.

AC does not hit your range anwyhere near as much as you would think. On the Prizm the AC system draws about [EMAIL PROTECTED] On a 30 minute drive that would be 2ah drawn from the pack, or about 2 miles less range.

And boy is it nice in the summer. Comes up very quickly, even with 134a.

I forgot to ask in my last post, how many CFM is sufficient to cool a
72v 6.7" adc being pushed with up to 600 amps. Do any of the fans at
http://www.surpluscenter.com/electric.asp?UID=2005030502490527&catname=electric
look like good candidates? Thanks again.

--- Begin Message --- Need to charge SAFT 100Ah cells and was looking for an isolated, programmable 20A charger. Brusa doesn't go that low. Needs to have the ability to program any profile I want (within reason).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Seth
        Hi Nick and All,
          Why are you running either the power
steering or future AC from a DC/DC?
          Much better, lighter, more eff,lower cost
would be running them from direct drive DC motors
directly from the pack voltage at a much lower
amperage.
          Either could be run with 1-2 hp motors for
your pack voltage. And use stock systems.
          Then you wouldn't need a DC/DC as a batt
would easily handle your electrical load.
          Though on the AC one lister put it on the
drive motor double shaft and used it for braking so
not draw any power from the pack here in Fla. If you
mostly use yours for stop and go driving as most EV's
ar this would work for you and if you need more AC
just flip a switch to  turn on the AC clutch. Saves on
brakes too. The power steering could be run the same
way with some work if you have a clutch.
              HTH's,
                 jerry dycus

http://www.discountjeepparts.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/91_459_786

> --
> -Nick
> http://Go.DriveEV.com/
> 1988 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 EV

Hello John,

I am using a Dayton blowers that is 150 CFM mounted on a GE 12 inch motor, the
enclosurer for a Zilla and input air for a 50 amp PFC-50 charger.  All of
theses blowers has a 6 inch carburetor air cleaner attach to the input.

The 150 or 200 CFM 5.5 Dia blower that is listed in surplus center looks just
like the ones I am using.

My motor temperature and Zilla heat sink temperature never goes above 27
degrees F above 72 degrees ambient air temperature. The maximum ampere I pull
is driving up a 2 mile steep hill at 600 amps at 50 mph for about 3 minutes.