  1) Re: BB600 Cells - really bad news!
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) EVLN(Hawaiian Electron Marathon)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) EVLN(Prius+)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Perf Upgrade using EV components
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Hot update RE: AZ Republic article
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Available RangerEV - New Information
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: I Like ICE's
        by "bholmber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: I Like ICE's
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: EV-1 Blurb in AZ Republic
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Available RangerEV - New Information
        by John Lussmyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Available RangerEV - New Information
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Anyone want to reply to a Fool Cell supporter?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: DC DC Converter, series in, parallel out?
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Anyone want to reply to a Fool Cell supporter?
        by "Harris, Lawrence" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Power Steering and Insight Comments
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: EV-1 Vigil
        by Marc Geller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Why I won't use flooded batteries
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Why I won't use flooded batteries
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: wanted 48-54v(ish) programmable, 20A charger
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: DC DC Converter
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: DC DC Converter
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: DC DC Converter
I'd been looking at BB600s for quite some time and was fairly certain I
wanted to go with them. When Tim made the offer, this put me in the
position to immediately contact him and put myself on the list.  Being
early on the deal I considered them plentiful, and decided to purchase
extras for anyone in my area (central Texas) that might want them, but who
might not be ready to jump immediately.

Given what's happened, it's now pretty clear that this is not the right
thing to do.

I can spare 400 cells out of my order for the next person in line.  Tim,
feel free to contact me directly to work out the details.

  --chris

Tim Humphrey said:
> Man this sucks!!
>
> I just came back from the warehouse where the batteries are sitting.
>
> At first I thought it would be really great news! There was actually 10
> pallets and not 6 as advertised in the invitation for bid.
>
> But! The government really screwed up the invitation for bid, apparently.
>

> On the 10 pallets, were 10 boxes, except for one which had 8. Inside each
> box were two boxes and each of those contained 19 cells. The outer boxes
> had a label on them that said they contained 2 boxes and were 138 lbs. And
> that's where the gov't screwed up. They multiplied the 2 boxes by the 138
> lbs, but it was 136 lbs for the 2 boxes. In other words instead of 32096
> lbs of cells there is actually only 16048 lbs. Which means half as many as
> originally thought.
>
> To be fair, I decided to split these up on a first come first served
> basis,
>
> The sad news is that basically no cells will be headed to the west coast.
>
> I'm really sorry that it worked out this way. I was really excited to be
> able to get these into the EV community at such a great deal, and now I am
> feeling really, really low.
>
> Those who have one coming, a refund is in process.
>
> Sorry!!!
>

> --
>
> Stay Charged! anyway
> Hump
> "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right!" --Henry
> Ford

EVLN(Hawaiian Electron Marathon)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://starbulletin.com/2005/03/18/news/story8.html
Friday, March 18, 2005  [image] JAMM AQUINO /
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Damien Memorial High School senior Manuel Benitez goes for a test
run around Damien's basketball court. Benitez, along with a team
of 11 students led by Damien math instructor Jonathan Bromberg,
built the car from junkyard parts, including "For Sale" signs and
bicycle tires. The car will compete tomorrow in a race at Ford
Island.

Isle schools revving up for race
Damien's makeshift vehicle is among 27 competing tomorrow
By Pat Gee [EMAIL PROTECTED]

When someone calls Damien Memorial High School's electric car a
pile of junk, no one will be insulted.

That's because students scrounged items from street curbs and
other odd places and fastened them together, using plenty of spit
and sweat.

Damien students will be happy just to finish tomorrow's 10th
annual on Ford Island. Damien's entries never finished the last
two races.

Teams from 27 high schools have signed up for the event, which
teaches students of diverse strengths to work together and to
design and build an electric vehicle that performs. Admission is
free to the 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. event, but security measures will
be in place for entry onto Ford Island off Pearl Harbor.

[image] JAMM AQUINO / [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Manuel Benitez takes Damien's electric car, which can hit a speed
of 20 mph running on just two 12-volt batteries, for a test run
while Jonathan Bromberg, adviser for the 11-person team that
built the car, watches.

Damien's team coordinator, John Bromberg, said the car, nicknamed
the "MathCar" as a play on "NASCAR," will probably be the
heaviest, weighing in at about 400 pounds.

With a shoestring budget of $900 from HECO, which also provided
the basic engine kit (worth about $800) to all of the teams, the
Damien team had to beg and borrow parts instead of buying them.
The total value of the car is about $2,700, Bromberg said.

Bromberg is a former Navy test pilot who has no experience
building cars, like most of the team's 10 members. They all
learned to build the car just by reading the instructions and
putting in hundreds of hours, beginning in August, he said.

"We had to learn to weld and cut metal. Nobody is an experienced
builder. This is new to all of us. ... We weren't encumbered by
prior knowledge, so we just kept going," he said.

But Bromberg did borrow something from his previous career. He
suggested the students use push rods to steer the car "like an
airplane," instead of a wheel. And the "aerodynamics are
different from anyone else's," making it "highly maneuverable,"
said Bromberg, whose engineering degree also came in handy.

The car was constructed in a crowded, stuffy shack on the edge of
the track field at Damien.

As lead mechanic and pit stop manager, honors senior Manny
Benitez will be in charge on the race course.

Benitez pointed out all the different pieces of scrap used to
build the car: bed frames to build the frame and chassis; the
bottom section of Bromberg's old desk chair for the axle; a
plastic chair from the library for the driver's seat; and "For
Sale" yard signs for the sides.

Hawaiian Electric Co. Electron Marathon

www.heco.com/CDA/default/0,1999,TCID%253D6%2526EmbedCID%253D6857%2526CCID%253D0%2526LCID%253D4631%2526CTYP%253DARTC,00.html

© Honolulu Star-Bulletin -- http://starbulletin.com

===

http://www.heco.com/CDA/default/0,1999,TCID%253D6%2526EmbedCID%253D6857%2526CCID%253D0%2526LCID%253D4631%2526CTYP%253DARTC,00.html
Electron Marathon | Electron Marathon Information

    When:    March 19, 2005

    Time:     9:00 am-12:30 pm

    Where:  Ford Island

SECURITY PROCEDURES

Due to heightened security, the Navy has provided the following
security procedures:

    * Upon entering Ford Island, each vehicle will be stopped and
       passengers will be asked to present their ID.
    * Vehicles will be subject to inspection.
    * The entrance to Ford Island will close at 10:00 a.m. and
       reopen at 11:30 a.m.

ITEMS NOT ALLOWED:

    * Coolers or any type of enclosed container
    * Luggage or bags exceeding 12” x 12”
    * Folding chairs
    * Pets
    * Food, beverages and water bottles

Please EMPTY out all vehicles.  Persons with any of the above
items will be DENIED access onto Ford Island:

ITEMS ALLOWED:

    * Backpacks, purses & fanny packs no larger than 12” x 12”
    * Umbrellas
    * Camera and video camera
    * Cellular phone
    * Bucket of ice (for school teams ONLY)
    * Baby strollers
    * A clear plastic bag for baby needs. Bag must accompany baby.

Drivers must present current drivers license All passengers must
have picture ID.  Driver can vouch for students.  Current
Registration, Insurance and Safety Check.  REQUIRED ALL
POSSESSIONS WILL BE SUBJECT TO INSPECTION If you have any
questions regarding the above procedures, please call Education &
Consumer Affairs at 543-7511.  Copyright © 2000-2005 Hawaiian
Electric Company, Inc.
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere

EVLN(Prius+)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45502-2005Mar17.html
Forks in the Road for Clean Air
Friday, March 18, 2005; Page A22 [Letters]

The otherwise thorough story on General Motors' disposal of its
EV1 fleet ["Fans of GM Electric Car Fight the Crusher," front
page, March 10] only mentioned a "growing fad among
do-it-yourselfers" to add plug-in capability for Toyota's Prius
hybrid. This "growing fad" is an important development:
Experimenters say they have found a way to double the mileage of
the '04 and '05 Prius models to 90 to 100 miles per gallon and
operate in an all-electric mode with no tailpipe emissions.

The technique involves activating the EV-only button to the left
of the steering wheel (already the case with Prius cars made for
Europe and Asia), adding some batteries in unused space under the
hatchback deck and giving owners the option of plugging into an
electric socket to cut back visits to the gas station.

A California nonprofit group (see www.calcars.org) is starting to
produce the prototype "Prius+" with these enhancements in hopes
that they will catch on with Prius owners and would-be owners in
what is a growing mass market for hybrids.

Toyota and other carmakers have shunned plug-ins on grounds
ranging from claimed technical difficulties to alleged lack of
public demand. But the auto industry has been known to change its
tune, and with gas prices soaring it, too, might decide to join
the "growing fad."

LEWIS GULICK  Arlington
The writer is a former editor of Electric Vehicle News.

Maryland is considering adopting the California Low Emissions
Vehicle program, although it has no proven environmental benefits
above and beyond the federal program ["Cleaner Cars in Maryland,"
editorial, March 15].

In 1999 automakers worked with the Clinton administration to
adopt the Environmental Protection Agen- cy's Tier II emissions
standards -- the most stringent federal emissions standards ever.
These standards were designed to address air-quality issues that
California standards do not. Under these rules, cars and light
trucks -- including sport-utility vehicles, pickups, vans and
minivans -- must meet the same strict standards by model year
2009.

Many people in Maryland erro- neously believe that passing this
new legislation will bring more hybrids to the state.

But Maryland and Virginia already rank in the top five nationally
for new hybrid registrations, so the proposed adoption of
California emissions standards would have little, if any, effect
on the air quality in Maryland.

Additionally, adoption of the California regulations comes with a
hefty price tag -- including a huge bureaucracy -- without
providing any health or environmental benefits not already
available under the federal program.

FRED WEBBER  President and Chief Executive
Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers  Washington
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere

--- Begin Message --- Oh. I was just thinking that a second rear axle could be electrically driven. Does it have a PTO, perchance?

Dave
Some call it retirement, some call it a second career... I just call it adding 5ive days to the weekend!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gabriel Alarcon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>