  1) Re: DC DC Converter
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Jacks EV   was Re: Kilo-Amp-About or Excuses help the ego.
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: another fan question
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Just some trivia...
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: DC DC Converter
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Heat Dissipation Estimate
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: I Like ICE's
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: I Like ICE's
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: EV-1 Blurb in AZ Republic
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: DC DC Converter
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Dual Charging
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: EV-1 Blurb in AZ Republic
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Just some trivia...
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Perf Upgrade using EV components
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Anyone want to reply to a Fool Cell supporter?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Dual Charging
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) RE: Anyone want to reply to a Fool Cell supporter?
        by "Harris, Lawrence" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Mike wrote:
> I need a DC DC converter! I really don't have the money to spend
> on a Sevcon or similar model, and need an inexpensive solution so
> I can drive my EV reliably.

The simplest solution is of course to use a big 12v battery, and just
recharge it at the same time you recharge the rest of your pack. But,
you mentioned you are driving a power steering pump from the 12v system.
That could easily make this impractical (too big a 12v battery would be
needed).

The other cheap solution is to install a normal car alternator, and belt
drive it from your traction motor. It will keep the 12v battery charged
just like any other car.

> It was mentioned a couple days ago that a computer power supply
> could be used/ modified to be a DC DC Converter. Will this work
> on a 90 volt battery pack?

No. 90 volts is too low for any normal switching supply designed for
120-240vac. The supply is likely to overheat and fail, deliver too
little power to be useful, or just not work at all.

Astrodyne (www.astrodyne.com, 1-800-823-8082) makes some relatively
inexpensive DC/DCs that you could consider. I've used their products
before, and they are of reasonable quality (though not automotive grade
-- they will die horribly if placed anywhere they could ever get wet or
dirty -- like under the hood of a car)!

model SD100D-12, 72-144vdc input, 12v at 8.5a output, $73 each
model SD150D-12, 72-144vdc input, 12v at 12.5a output, $83 each
model SD200D-12, 72-144vdc input, 12v at 16.7a output, $99 each
model SD350D-12, 72-144vdc input, 12v at 27.5a output, $129 each

These are specifically designed for a 90vdc input. If overloaded, they
deliver 105-135% of rated current, and then cycle on and off (pulse
mode) to protect themselves. The output voltage is adjustable, though I
would check with them to see how high it goes; you want at least 13.5v
for charging a 12v battery.

> I was hoping to find a (relatively) inexpensive computer power
> supply to temporarily replace my zorched DCP unit, but I can't
> seem to find any that are the universal input type?

We've discussed this before. Most computer power supplies are cheap, but
badly made, and too highly optimized for their intended purpose to work
as a battery charger. Maybe 1 in 10 is good enough to work at all if
your pack voltage is within the supply's normal input range. Maybe 1 in
100 will work if your pack voltage is outside this range. These are
pretty bad odds. It's not worth buying a supply unless you have solid
evidence that someone has already tried that specific model with your
specific pack voltage and that it worked.

Here are just some of the problems:

1. Not designed for outdoor use. They assumed a clean, dry, 70 deg.F
   room; not under the hood of a car.
2. Limited input voltage range. "120-240vac" usually means 90-130vac
   or 200-260vac, which is equivalent to 126-182vdc or 280-364vdc.
   Such a supply won't work on 96vdc or 192vdc.
3. Many use a voltage doubler circuit on their input, which doesn't
   work at all on DC. They don't specify this in the ratings; you
   have to ask the design engineer, or test it yourself.
4. No overload protection. If overloaded (such as when it tries to
   charge a dead battery), it blows a fuse or circuit breaker, or
   shuts down and won't restart until you remove its input power.
5. The 12v outputs are not regulated. Most computer supplies only
   regulate their 5v or 3.3v outputs; the other outputs are free to
   wander around depending on load. Some won't work at all if you
   have no load connected to the 5v or 3.3v output.
6. The 12v outputs aren't adjustable, or can't be adjusted to a
   suitable voltage for a 12v battery. You need at least 13.5v to
   fully charge a battery, and 14-14.5v is better if you want to
   simulate a normal car's alternator.
7. The supply powers its regulating circuits from the 12v output,
   so it runs down the 12v battery if left connected when the input
   power is off.

All it takes are 1 or 2 of these problems to make a supply useless as a
DC/DC converter. Many cheap PC power supplies have *all* of these
problems. I certainly would not buy one on the assumption that it would
work.
--
"The two most common elements in the universe
are hydrogen and stupidity."    -- Harlan Ellison

Jack Knopf wrote:
> I think you guys need to learn how to read. I said I could make one
> that would handle 2000 plus amps.

Yes, it's hard to read everything. People miss details sometimes. That's
why the more important points get reposted now and then on the EV list.

There are other possible reasons to consider an electrolytic controller
(fancy name for metal plates in a bucket of water. :-)  You can use the
hot water for your heater. You could circulate the battery acid through
it so it heats the batteries (with lead acids, the hotter they get, the
better they perform). You could use it as a resistor for a crude battery
charger (with the resistor on the AC side of a bridge, it carries AC
current and so does not produce gas).

The idea is a bit crazy -- but not stupid! :-)

> Wouldn't a contactor controller be jerk, jerk, jerk?

Some are, some aren't. You'd be surprised how smooth a well made
contactor controller can be. The sticky accellerator linkage and
automatic transmission of a regular ICE car can be jerky, too. Most
people don't notice.

> Orbitals were always the plan, but my Wal-Marts are fine for now.

Yes, they are fine as "training wheel" batteries.

> Is not the world record for the 1/8 only 40 mph for the 96 volt
> class? Is www.nedra.com wrong?

I hope it's not that slow. If it is, then nobody has been trying very
hard!
--

John Shelton wrote:
> I forgot to ask in my last post, how many CFM is sufficient to
> cool a 72v 6.7" adc being pushed with up to 600 amps.

This is a complicated question.

First, you need to know the motor's efficiency; this will be from 50-85%
depending on the speed, torque, and horsepower it is delivering. The
motor has a built-in fan, so if its rpm is high enough, no extra cooling
is needed.

Second, how LONG will it run at that power level? The motor is so heavy
that it can operate for many minutes with zero cooling; it just heats
up. Most EVs use motors only rated at 10-20 HP continuous duty, but get
50-100hp out of them for a few minutes at a time with no extra cooling.

Third, how hot is the ambient air? If your "cooling" air is already at
120 deg.F in Arizona, you need a lot more of it to cool a hot motor than
if it is at 70 deg.F.

Finally, CFM alone doesn't mean much for a fan. You need to know the CFM
at some air pressure. Propeller-type fans are very poor at pushing air
through the tight twisty passages inside a motor. A much smaller
centrifugal or squirrel-cage blower will actually provide much better
cooling.

A crude way to estimate the cooling power of a blower is by how much
electrical power it consumes. A squirrel-cage blower that uses about
100-200 watts is usually adequate for a car-sized EV motor.
--

Dave wrote:
> The Impact was the prototype predecessor to the EV-1, designed
> primarily by AeroVironment. Interestingly, the performance of the
> Impact seemed to diminish as it evolved into the EV-1.

Yes; it kept getting heavier and slower as GM "civilized" it. Here are a
few numbers from my files:
                Impact#1        Impact#3        GM EV1
                --------        --------        ------
date            1990            1993            1996
weight          2200 lbs        2970 lbs        3250 lbs
length          163"            165"            169.8"
height          47"             47.5"           50.5"
width           68"             68"             69.3"
drag coef.      0.185                           0.19
accelleration   0-60 in 7 sec   0-60 in 8 sec   0-60 in 9 sec
top speed       110 mph         84.4 mph        80 mph
--
"The two most common elements in the universe
are hydrogen and stupidity."    -- Harlan Ellison
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- My sentiments exactly.
What I am trying to do is to use the power steering motor and pump from the forklift we are scrapping where I work. The motor is a 48 volt setup and the pump is already attached.
The car I'm building will have at least a 150 volt pack so I need to reduce the voltage or increase the operating voltage of the motor. If the motor has four brushes can I reconnect them in series instead of parallel to effectively double the operating voltage of the motor?
Mike G.

Evan Tuer wrote:

I would be inclined to use a PWM motor controller: more suited to the
job.  However, one that will work on a 150V battery pack will be
expensive.  Better to get the motor re-wound or changed to do the job
properly.  If you're determined to use an electronic solution, pick up
a 48VDC, 50A universal input power supply from Ebay, this is a common
voltage since they are commonly used in telecomms equipment.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:46:17 -0500, M.G. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Would it be possible to connect an fet to a duty cycle oscillator to
make a cheap dc-dc convertor? I would like to run a  48 volt power
steering pump from a forklift with a 150 volt battery pack.
So if I build a 555 timer with a 30% duty cycle could  I  connect it to
a large enough bank of fet's to run it safely? I think I would need
about 30 amps continuos 50 amp peak. Would this be more efficient than a
Mr2 power steering setup?
Mike G.

Rod Hower wrote:

Try this link,
http://www.peaktopeakpower.com/catalogs/meanwell/sd-200.html
Pretty attractive pricing.
They also have the SD-350 which is 30 Amps output for
a small increase in price.
http://www.computronics.com.au/meanwell/sd-350/
Rod
--- Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I need a DC DC converter! I really don't have the
money to spend on a
Sevcon or similar model, and need an inexpensive
solution so I can drive
my EV reliably.

It was mentioned a couple days ago that a computer
power supply could be
used/ modified to be a DC DC Converter. Will this
work on a 90 volt
battery pack? Does anybody have any suggestions/
instructions on how to
modify it. I am familiar with electronics, but not
that much with DC DC
converters. Also, does anybody have any experience
with Peak to Peack
Power DC DC converters

(http://www.peacktopeakpower.com/catalogs/meanweel/sd-200.html)?

It
looks like it puts out about 16 amps on 90 volts,
and costs only about
$77.00.

Is a 7-inch x 2-inch by 1/4-inch block of aluminum, with airflow on both
sides, enough to dissipate 130W?  I've read that a good rule of thumb is 1
sq. centimeter of surface area per watt.  If that's correct, then I need:

130sq.cm / 6.45sq.cm/sq.inch = 20sq.inch

If I count 14sq. inch on each side of the block, then I have 28 sq. inch.

Do those calculation sound correct?

Yes indeed, but the other day I read the story on the guy that rented the
EV1, and that made me happy, a car with range, and performance, and nice,
that does not make me sad, I think that NEDRA is in the right track, all the
innovations for ICE's came from racing, so let's race EV's , the pilots and
mechanics will figure out ways to meke them faster, lighter and have more
range.

You'll see, in the end it will be all EV's.

Ivo

    From: John G.
Lussmyer<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
    horza has posted a comment in reply to your comment.
         Re:Another Fool Cell

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=142856&cid=11974320<http://slashdot.org/
<http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=142856&cid=11974320<http://slashdot.org
/>
  comments.pl?sid=142856&cid=11974320>
    I just don't have my materials handy, and don't have the time right now.
    --
    John G. Lussmyer

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
saDelGato.Com<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>