  1) New Groups confusion
        by Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: New To Group
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Let's cut each other some slack, OK?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  4) Re: Next step for Sunrise discussion, new company formation
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Invitation to   EVProduction Group
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: New To Group
        by "Mark Ward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: New To Group
        by "Mark Ward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Invitation to   EVProduction Group
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) MO EVr newbie: New To Group
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: New Groups confusion
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Monaco EVS-21
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: New To Group
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Next step for Sunrise discussion, new company formation
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Next step for Sunrise discussion, new company formation
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: American business model
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Opp's,  was  Re: New Groups confusion
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: American business model
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Selectria Sunrise as replacement for EV-1 and Re: Rabbit replacement
        by "Ivo Jara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Ford rep on Talk of the Nation NOW
        by Sherry Boschert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Renualt LeCar
        by Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Hello all,

for Jerry for taking the step.

I also just got an email from Mark Dodrill, I'll quote only the first 2
paragraphs
"Hello all.  As I posted to the mail EV e-mail list, I have taken
another step in the process to make a commercial EV a reality.  I got
your e-mail address from the EV list, as being interested in this
topic.  If you really aren't, please send e-mail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] with your unsubscribe request.

I have registered the domain name evconsortium.org, and setup a
message board to help us start things out.  Please go to
http://evconsortium.org/Invision and register to get access to the
board.  I have set up a bunch of forums on various topics that relate
to starting this new venture."

I guess that this is also a new group, is that correct? I also see that he has
signed me up without my even being aware of the group, this is basically called
email harvesting. This is not an email based group, you have to go to a web
page, it is a commercial board and it puts a cookie on your computer.

Did others get emails from him saying that you have to unsubscribe if you don't
want to be get the unsolicited emails?

Rush
Tucson AZ
converting a '86 Mitsubishi truck

Mark Ward wrote:

>I am in MO and am new to the group.

Welcome. Where at in Missouri are you from? Happen to be in
the St. Louis area by any chance? I'm doing a conversion and
would love to help with yours or at the very least get in
touch with another building an EV. I may need some help
myself later on anyway, so having another building an EV
near me would be a great way to learn some info and gain
some skills.

>I am committed to converting a vehicle to
>EV and only drive 20 miles total per day on average
>(work 3 miles away). It
>sounds perfect for me.

There's the amount of range you need, which is 20 miles per
day, and the amount of range you'd want. It seems you'd be
satisfied with 20 miles to 80% depth of discharge, but how
much would you like to have that's in a reasonable range of
possibility for the money you're looking to put out?

It shouldn't be too hard to get 40-50 miles to 80% depth of
discharge with about 35% of the car in battery weight and
good aerodynamics.

Would you like to have a little extra range for longer
trips?

>I am certainly looking for recommendations about the
>best vehicles to convert.
>I have looked at some websites but it seems a lot of
>the older cars like VW
>rabbits, etc. are not very available any longer. The
>GEO seems to be a popular
>vehicle as does the S10 pickup.

Looking at your later post and finding you're using a kit,
assuming your controller is picked and it's a Curtis Model,
then you're probably going to want something light to have
adequate acceleration. With 20 miles range desired,
aerodynamics wouldn't be a huge issue with say, a 108V pack
of flooded 6V Trojan T105 flooded lead acid batteries. You'd
have about 40 miles range to 80% discharge with such a pack
in a VW Bug, but your performance would be sluggish given a
low amp controller and such low power batteries. 0-60 = or >
22 seconds and a curb weight of about 2,800 pounds.

OR if you want something a little peppier, assuming a 500
amp controller, use 144V of Optima Yellowtops in that same
VW Bug, 0-60 would be about 17-18 seconds, curb weight about
2,300 pounds, and range a good 20-25 miles to 80% depth of
discharge. But that would require a more sophisticated
charger to take care of the batteries, probably didn't come
with your kit.

Go from a Curtis, to say, a Zilla 1k, with that same 144V
pack of Optima Yellowtops, you'd have 0-60 in about 8-9
seconds and still 20-25 miles range with 80% discharge under
moderate driving, 10-15 miles to 80% with lead foot.

An entry level Zilla 1k can go to 156V, so it would be
possible to add a mile or two with another battery, OR use
instead a slightly pricier 300V Zilla and have amazing
performance with a 192V or so pack of Optimas. Your curb
weight would go to about 2,600 pounds or so, and range would
be an honest 35 miles or so to 80% depth of discharge in a
VW Bug.

In place of a bug, you could place a Geo Metro, Chevy
Sprint, Ford Fiesta, or cars of similar weight and achieve
similar performance. Those are for econoboxes that go for
cheap, which would fit your $5-7k goal.

If you want a two seater, as opposed to a four-seater, a
sports car may be better if you're willing to go for AGMs.
You could make a performance vehicle. Want range? Either
build a sports car with about 40% its weight in batteries,
OR do a pickup with about 50% of its weight in batteries.
The sports car will be more efficient by far, but the pickup
would cost less and go just a little farther. Making a car
with 40% its weight in batteries will probably go above that
$5-7k goal you have in mind though. Flooded batteries in a
sports car make a slug, and you may as well use a Geo Metro
or VW Bug for that purpose since those usually have higher
GVWRs.

One thing: you want to try to stay under GVWR for
simplicity's sake, but it is still ok to go over by a few
hundred pounds with modifications to brakes and suspension.
Sports cars generally have a low GVWR compared to other
vehicles of similar weights. However, there are some great
exceptions. My Triumph GT6 weighs only 1,793 pounds, but has
a GVWR of 2,350 pounds. With a 400 pound engine block, 70
pounds of related ICE engine components, and lots of weight
elsewhere to be stripped, I could fit an 800-900 pound
battery pack and not go over GVWR, including my own weight
as driver, or fit a monster 1,125 pound pack of Optimas only
going a few hundred pounds over, assuming I have enough
volume to fit such a thing in(Looks possible, but need to
keep safety in mind before knowing for sure). Find a car
that meets your goals.

Cheap $5-7k? Floodeds and an econobox of sorts would be your
best bet, but don't be afraid to be creative and try AGMs or
higher power if you could fit it in your budget. Lord knows
we could use more performers and less slugs on the road. :-)

In a message dated 3/23/2005 1:12:59 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Very well put. I agree totally!

Ben

<< David,

 John De Armond does NOT need to be removed from the list. If you read the
 post you so like to snip attacks from you will notice that he is talking
 about the public perception of a significant part of the population
 (something near 1/2 if elections are any indication.)

 I find that this list is *very* quick to attack opinions to the right and
 quite slow to remind list memebers to keep in line when they veer into
 politics on the left. This creates an artificial EV enviroment that does not
 refect the greater public opinion of our EVs.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:30:16 -0800, Mark Dodrill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> All, to help take the "next step", as Lee Hart has pointed out, I have
> created a new domain name (evconsortium.org), web site, and message
> board to move the Sunrise discussion and general new ev discussion to
> the next step.

I'm confused :)

Howdy Folks,  After driving/owning a bunch of EV's since the 70's, the best
production vehicle would be a cheap KIS cheese-wedge type 2-seater Kewet car
that uses a minimal number of batteries (maintenance) and is a DC system
where cost is hammered down.  The Toyota ECOM was the best I've seen in
years that looked affordable/producible.
Mark www.solectrol.com