  1) RE: 25 points about - regen (and 'controlllers: the nth option')
        by "England Nathan-r25543" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: 25 points about - regen (and 'controlllers: the nth option')
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: EVLN(Bush spent 5min looking at EVs)
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Nicad update
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: EVLN(New ratings reduce MPG numbers)
        by xx xx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: EVLN(Bush spent 5min looking at EVs)
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: EVLN(New ratings reduce MPG numbers)
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: EVLN(Bush spent 5min looking at EVs)
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Wide vs Skinny Tires LRR
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: EVLN(New ratings reduce MPG numbers)
        by "Tim Gamber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: EVLN(Bush spent 5min looking at EVs)
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Blind EV's
        by "Adrian DeLeon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) PFC-30 Documentation Error?
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Questions on EV
        by "Tim Gamber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Blind EV's
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: ZIF Recommendation
        by Steven Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: ZIF Recommendation
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Plasma Boy Gets a 50" Plasma ...'Video Only' Supports EV Drag Racing!
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Nicad update and PFC charger
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Plasma Boy Gets a 50" Plasma ...'Video Only' Supports EV Drag Racing!
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Plasma Boy Gets a 50" Plasma ...'Video Only' Supports EV Drag Racing!
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
This conversation got me thinking.

If you had two motors, one SepEx and the other series wound.
Each had the same style armature
Each had the same mass of iron in the field
Each was running 96V on the armature
Each had enough amp/turns to just saturate the iron in the field

Which one would produce more torque?

Nate

From: England Nathan
>If you had two motors, one SepEx and the other series wound.
>Each had the same style armature
>Each had the same mass of iron in the field
>Each was running 96V on the armature
>Each had enough amp/turns to just saturate the iron in the field
>
>Which one would produce more torque?

If they have the same ampere-turns on the fields, they produce identical
torques. It doesn't matter if you have 100 amps in 1 turn, or 100 turns with 1
amp.
--
Lee Hart

Would it have been ok if - said "the president"
Look the article itself was partisian if you want to take that stand.
Otherwise I agree but comeon.
He walks away and doesn't even want to turn the key?
His actions speak for themselves.

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 3:10 pm, David Roden (Akron OH USA) wrote:
On 26 Feb 2007 at 13:48, someone wrote:

 Bush's attitudes ...

NO PARTISAN POLITICS on the EVDL.  Got it?

Other listers, please don't respond to partisan political comments, it just
makes the situation worse.

Sorry to seem impatient, but a few people - just a few - seem to be
consistently forgetful about this, or perhaps they just lack self-control.

One more time: snide political comments (or even not-so-snide ones) have no place here. Keep it to yourself, snigger with your signficant other, trade jibes with your coworkers, whatever, wherever. Just refrain from making partisan
political comments on the list.

Thanks.

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

--- jerryd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>          Best is an in-out amphr meter like the E meter or
> Lee's future E dash.

Jerry, Mike

This is the heart of one of my current issues. I know I've asked about this
before, but has anyone
figured out how to signal a PFC-30 to begin tapering down using the relay in
the eMeter? eMeters
of a certain vintage have a relay that is activated when you've replaced the
amphours used.  And
I've read about Rich's chargers and using Mark2-3 regulators connected through
a Regbus setup to
cutoff charging. I've gone through the online documents, but couldn't find any
way to connect the
eMeter to the charger. Is there some kind of interface board that plugs into a
PFC-30 to external
inputs? Can I hook a Regbus card to the charger as the interface?

My default plan is to find a voltage level that is close to full to start the
tapering down and
let it finish with the timer. But not too high that I would risk never getting
there. Then do an
equalizing charge once in a while.

Your thoughts are welcoome and appreciated.

Dave Cover

--- GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am glad this has come out.
>
> It wil hasten the transition to all electric plugin
> vehicle for fuel
> economy concious people.

I disagree.  I don't think mis-information is ever
good.  Getting more people used to hybrids gets them
used to driving EV's as well.
The problem I have is I have seen many people claiming
to get much better mileage than that from the Prius.
Just because people can use their A/C and drive faster
than they need to doesn't mean that's how a vehicle
should be tested for mileage.  I mean should all
vehicles be tested at full throttle takeoffs and full
speed with all accessories running full blast?

And what exactly do his actions say???

That he is anti-Japanese? That he believes that the production of lithium batteries in China is creating an envrionmental disaster? That parking anywhere but a parking garage is an eye soar? Or your take on the matter that he feels this is a direct attack on the petroleum industry that must be stopped at any cost? You have interpretted his actions through your own prejudices. For all you know he may have had a case of the juicy squirts and been singing the "gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now" song in his head.

So please comply nicely when David asks you too and keep the political stuff off the list. I'm sure that he gets tired of being the list babysitter. Posting the story is fine, putting your own political spin on it isn't.

damon

From: GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: EVLN(Bush spent 5min looking at EVs)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:23:29 -0800

[...]

Win a Zune™—make MSN® your homepage for your chance to win! http://homepage.msn.com/zune?icid=hmetagline
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- For those who can afford them and care enough to buy them new hybrids are a mistake. They should instead spend the money to make one of their cars 100% electric.

They would be happier and it would help the cause more.

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 3:30 pm, xx xx wrote:

--- GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 I am glad this has come out.

 It wil hasten the transition to all electric plugin
 vehicle for fuel
 economy concious people.

I disagree.  I don't think mis-information is ever
good.  Getting more people used to hybrids gets them
used to driving EV's as well.
The problem I have is I have seen many people claiming
to get much better mileage than that from the Prius.
Just because people can use their A/C and drive faster
than they need to doesn't mean that's how a vehicle
should be tested for mileage.  I mean should all
vehicles be tested at full throttle takeoffs and full
speed with all accessories running full blast?

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

Hey I didn't post the article.

From: GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Wide vs Skinny Tires LRR
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:37:03 -0800 (PST)

> They use 20% as an extreme ( "whopping") difference in tire RR, but the
> National Research Council has measured tire RR as low as 0.0062 and as
> high
> as 0.0152.   That is an increase of 145% from the lowest to the highest.
> If
> TireRack had used that number, they wouldn't have reached the same
> conclusion.

Sure... but not on the same auto. (Unless you choose to run MC tires on
your SUV. <G>)

These were all passenger car tires.

Phil

Refi Now: Rates near 39yr lows! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new payment http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-17727&moid=7581
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Heres a very good website with many models of cars, and tells you what people driving that model are really averaging in the real world.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=browseList

From: bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: evlist <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: EVLN(New ratings reduce MPG numbers)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:38:05 -0800 (PST)

EVLN(New ratings reduce MPG numbers)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?page=article&Article_ID=14232
Daily Policy Digest   Environment Issues   February 23, 2007
CAR M.P.G. RATINGS GOING DOWN

Fuel-saving gasoline-electric hybrid cars don't save as much fuel
as thought, according to new government fuel-economy ratings
available to the public for the first time.

The new ratings go into effect beginning with 2008 models, a few
of which will soon be on sale.  But now it's possible to tell
what rating 2007 and older models would get using the 2008
standards.

Toyota's Prius, the best-known and best-selling gas-electric car
in the United States, drops from a 60 mpg rating under the
current system to 48 miles per gallon in the city under the 2008
testing procedure -- a 20 percent decline.

Its highway mileage rating falls about 12 percent, to 45 mpg.

The Ford Escape hybrid, which uses a gasoline-electric drive
system similar to Toyota's, goes down about 12 percent.

"What the cars get hasn't changed. It's just the numbers on the
sticker," says Toyota spokesman Mike Michels.  The lowered Prius
rating is "probably more reflective of real-world experience," he
says.

Tests the government has used for mileage estimates were created
in the 1970s and haven't reflected today's driving environment.
They have assumed, for instance, that people don't use air
conditioning and don't drive more than about 60 mph.

Source: James R. Healey, "Car mpg ratings going down; Hybrids
take biggest hit in new system," USA Today, February 23, 2007.

For text:

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20070223/1a_lede23x_dom.art.htm

For website: www.fueleconomy.gov
For more on Gasoline/Petroleum:
 http://eteam.ncpa.org/issues/?c=gasoline-and-petroleum
For more on Environment Issues:
 http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_Category=31

We depend on the financial support of individuals. We need your
help to continue our work.  Join the NCPA today!
Copyright © 2007 National Center for Policy Analysis. All rights
reserved
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=43.658648~-79.383962&style=r&lvl=15&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=3702663&cid=7ABE80D1746919B4!1329
From January 26 to February 8, 2007

For all you know he may have had a case of the juicy squirts and been singing the "gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now" song in his head.

Now that is funny. I will never watch presidential appearances the same way again.

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:49:49 -0800, Roland wrote:

How about those super quiet ICE cars. I drove one at city driving speed and cannot hear the engine. Some times I may try to start the engine, but it
was already running!!

My wife's 2005 Honda Accord is the same way. The engine is very quiet outside, but almost silent from inside. Once you're going over about 15MPH the tire & road noise drowns out the engine noise unless you're under medium to hard acceleration. We're both guilty of cruising at 65MPH in 4th gear! The only time I really hear is is when it's moving AWAY from me.

My EV makes more noise just sitting there. Any good ideas to quiet down those Dayton blowers? I was thinking about wiring it so it turns OFF unless motor RPM is above 500 or so.

Adrian

The PFC-30 documentation says the following:

"SW3 controls what event will start the timer:

SW3-1 will start the timer when the acceptance voltage causes the charger to back off on current.

SW3-2 will start the timer when power is applied to the charger

SW3-3 will start the timer when the Regbus tells the charger to back off on current.

If no Batregs are connected to the charger, SW3-1 will have no effect."

Am I reading this wrong, or should that last sentence really say:

"If no Batregs are connected to the charger, SW3-3 will have no effect."

Thanks.

--- Begin Message --- Cool what kind of motor, controller, and electronics does it have? and at what speeds/driving did you get that high range at?

From: Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: RE: Questions on EV
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:49:27 -0800

At 03:54 PM 2/25/2007, you wrote:
I think its great your interested in EVs but even 60 miles on lead acid batteries is difficult at high speeds. The porsche is a good conversion vehicle from what iv'e heard, but i doubt you will be able to make 60 miles on one charge with lead acids.

Our DC Voilsporsche can do 80 - 100 miles on lead acid, under good conditions. In fact, we have had customers top 100 miles a couple times, once as much as 126 miles in a rally. This is using 120V of US 125 6V batteries. The AC system is more efficient and has regenerative braking, so it is capable of higher range.

Shari Prange

Electro Automotive POB 1113 Felton CA 95018-1113 Telephone 831-429-1989
http://www.electroauto.com [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electric Car Conversion Kits * Components * Books * Videos * Since 1979

Buy what you want when you want it on Sympatico / MSN Shopping http://shopping.sympatico.msn.ca/content/shp/?ctId=2,ptnrid=176,ptnrdata=081805
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- The hybrid that almost hit me walking in the post office parking lot was absolutely silent while moving.

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 4:18 pm, Adrian DeLeon wrote:
[...]

Bill,

I see what you want to do with your regs. I suggest you consider "banana" type plugs and jacks. Let me know if you need help finding them. Make sure to coat them with grease or something like that to keep them from corroding (this will be necessary for any connector you use by the way). There are more expensive rack power connectors that are similar, but will not work any better for your application. Stay away from connectors designed for computers, etc, they will not hold up in the auto environment.

Regards,

Steve Wilson
Hyde Park, NY

From: Bill Dennis
> I think my use of "ZIP" was misleading.   I'm not looking for a IC card
> type of connector.  I've got 21 shunt regulators. All 21 regulators are
> attached in place, side by side, on two strips of rigid non-conducting
> material, like this:
>
>Each regulator is spaced to sit in front of its corresponding cell,  I
>want each side of each regulator to snug into some type of connector
>that's wired to the cell's + and - terminal, respectively.  Whatever
>that connectors is, it should be easy enough to push into and pull out
>of so that I can  remove or reinstall all 21 regulators at the same time
>by pulling the strips away from the cells.  Once the regulators have
>been snapped into their connectors.  I'll lock the strips in place so
>that nothing can accidentally pop out during driving.

What about banana plugs? These are the ones you see on all multimeters. They
are good for high voltage and moderately high current, available in single-pin
and 2-pin versions. Mount all the female sockets on a piece of metal or plastic
that stays in the car. Mount the male pins on each regulator. Line them up, and
you can plug/unplug them all at once.
--
Lee Hart

A reminder for those who live in the Portland metro area, The Portland Roadster Show opens this weekend, March 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, at the Portland Convention Center, and White Zombie is one of the featured cars. We managed to install all of the new Genesis batteries and by Thursday, the car will be fully functional and running on its 40% more powerful battery pack.

I had previously written:

One more thing....White Zombie will be a 'highlighted' car at the upcoming Portland Roadster Show and will be displayed at the entrance into the main arena of the show. This is quite an honor and a step forward for EV acceptance in the hot rod world. The show promoters are encouraging us to set up and loop videos of White Zombie taking out classic muscle cars and hot rice burner imports....

All who walk down the entrance stairs into the lobby on their way into the show will be hit right between the eyes with White Zombie on display (both in person and on a bright big plasma screen) as it melts its fat rear tires, jerks its front tires off the ground, and blows away muscle cars and hot imports. I somehow, talked the video chain 'Video Only' into providing a brand new, Hi Def 50 inch Panasonic TH50PX 600U plasma screen and DVD player setup! I also got an even better spot for White Zombie, showcased right next to the souveneer booth at the arena entrance-exit. Tim and I got together and designed a looping DVD that features action racing videos with added-in screen captions like 'Electric Datsun vs 396 Chevelle' ....'Electric Datsun vs 454 Camaro', etc. There's lots of tire smoke, roaring V8s, and whistling-swooshing turbos as the gas-fueled competition struggles to catch White Zombie, the electric muscle car.

In talking with the area manager, he told that we're the first 'free loaner' customer of a video system in the 13 years he's been in charge of the multiple locations of video stores, and added that in addition to the huge advertising benefit for them, he quite frankly thought the world needed to see an electric car beating high powered gas cars. How cool is this? The next time anyone is considering buying any new video gear, make sure to remember 'Video Only' the video retailers who support EVs.

Tim and I hope to see our EV friends this weekend, so make sure to stop by to say hello. We'll be easy to spot....we'll be the two guys with the cool Chip Gribben Electric Muscle Car T-shirts and a huge crowd around us (and that 50 inch plasma set)!

See Ya......John 'Plasma Boy' Wayland

           Hi Dave, Mike and All,
               Some E meters have a relay on it you can set
to control another relay to shut the charger off when it's
filled the set amount based on amp out. Newer E meters still
have the relay circuit on the PC board but you have to
repopulate it with it's parts I hear. Maybe Rich or someone
else can help you better. But voltage for ni-cads is not a
good indicator to tell when charged.