  1) My own charging parameters
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Geo (room for motor?)
        by "Darin - at - metrompg.com" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: EV vs. ICE (was: Re: May issue of Car and Driver confirmed)
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: EV bashing,  RE: T-105 Sitcker Shock
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Zilla for the newbie?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: contactor controllers
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: axles/ t-bird rear
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Battery Woes (An Update!)
        by nikki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: EV vs. ICE (was: Re: May issue of Car and Driver confirmed)
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: contactor controllers
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Tango lane splitting
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Tango lane splitting
        by "Marty Kulmus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Geo
        by "Darin - at - metrompg.com" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Blind EVs
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: axles/ t-bird rear
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) EV vs. ICE (was: Re: May issue of Car and Driver confirmed)
        by Marvin Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: EV math is not my strong point
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Lost and found images from the old Voltage Forum, looking for there owner.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 19) Looking for Electric Mower Suggestions for 1 acre
        by Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: contactor controllers
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Some GREAT EV Videos on WNBC
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Looking for Electric Mower Suggestions for 1 acre
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: contactor controllers
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: EV math is not my strong point
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) RE: EV vs. ICE (was: Re: May issue of Car and Driver confirmed)
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- After reading about Mark's US Battery problems I hunted down my manufacturer and called their tech line. I also compared my battery's stats to Trojan and it seems that these fall closer to the T-890 than the T-875.

Lou, at East-Penn gave me the following figures:

Normal charge rate: 60 amps
Equalizing charge rate: 10 amps
Nominal voltage immediately after charging: 155v (16 8v batteries) or
9.68v ea. or 2.4v per cell.
and charge at every opportunity. Add water as necessary, etc, etc.

I already know my PFC-20 is set higher than that voltage- it was finishing my tired Trojans at 160v. I'll make the necessary adjustments and hopefully have a long service life.

Rich A.

Win a Zune™—make MSN® your homepage for your chance to win! http://homepage.msn.com/zune?icid=hmetagline
Jody:

Another option to modifying the unibody/frame is using engine/transmission mounts from the 4-cylinder version of the car, rather than the 3-cylinder mounts (e.g. Suzuki Swift vs. Geo Metro/Chev Sprint).

The 4-cyl mounts offset the transaxle further to the left (to accomodate the longer 4-cyl engine block) and will give you roughly 4 more inches of space to mount the motor.

See here for photos illustrating the difference:
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?p=32242#post32242

FYI, the "motor" in the photo is about 15 inches long, and the adapter plate is about 5/8.

If you do use the 4-cyl mounts, you'll have to also use the axles and the shifter linkage & "control rod" from the 4-cyl car. (I happened to have a dead 4-cyl car available which is why I did this.)

cheers
Darin

> Comparable... Doing a bit of research I find that the first auto
> race in the United States took place in Chicago on November 28,
> 1895.
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_racing#The_beginning_of_race_ca
> rs).  ICE racing has been in development for over a century.  The
> EV racing pioneers like John Wayland and Roderick Wilde, has been
> at it for less than 20 years.

Well, there were electrics racing back in the late 1800's and early 1900's
also.
In fact, electrics held the world land speed record the first 3 1/2 years of
its being tracked from December 1898 until April 1902.  Then, a steam
powered racer added 10mph to the record at 75mph in 1902.  Then ICE held the
land speed record, creeping slowly up to 110mph until January 1906 when a
Stanley steam car blew the record away at 127mph in the flying mile adding
15mph to the speed.  IC's retook the land speed record the following year
and have held the record since, though it took them 4 years to beat the 1906
flying mile speed record that the steamer held.
http://www.speedace.info/land_speed_record_history.htm
-MT

Mark Brueggemann wrote:
The scratch builts are a great educational tool, but it kind
of scares me that people might consider these for transportation.
The primary reason I'm driving a "lead pig" is I stand a chance of surviving an encounter with another vehicle. All the low Cd, performance, efficiency, economy, etc is out the window when you're squashed under a Suburban.

It's interesting that you drive a pickup, which is second only to sports cars for its poor crash safety.

Scratch built cars can be as safe, or even safer than conventional cars. It all depends on what the build chooses to do. Race cars are all scratch built, and the drivers survive horrific crashes.

The GM EV1 was designed from scratch as an EV; it was crash tested. The Sunrise EV that I'm working on has been also successfully crash tested.

Richard Acuti wrote:
'74 Beetle... Curtis 1221B... ADC 6.7" motor... 128v of 8v lead
batteries. Smaller than normal from looking at the EV photo album.

Yes, but you have a smaller, lighter car than most. I'm driving a Renault LeCar with a 144v pack, Curtis 1231C, and ADC L91 6.7" motor. It's performance is pretty good for a daily driver; faster than with the stock engine.

The Zilla seems kind of intimidating to me. Please help me understand if it would benefit me or tell me if it would damage my motor or new 8v lead batteries.

The Zilla is a very powerful controller; if used to full capacity, it is quite capable of damaging your motor and batteries. But, it can be cranked down to suitable levels.

I'd limit max motor current to about 500 amps (better than the Curtis will do), and battery current to 300 amps (which should be OK for 8v floodeds).

Question #3: According to the FAQ, the Zilla will live longer if it
is liquid cooled.

This really just means the Zilla lives longer if kept cooler. It doesn't matter how you cool it (air or liquid). If you're not running it at high power, air cooling should be adequate.

Or, you can run a lighter oil in your transaxle, and circulate it thru the Zilla with a small pump. The transaxle will act as your "radiator".

48v + startup resistor
48V
84V 168V 216V
These are funny voltages.

Tom Ward wrote:
Yes, I know it's strange. I have two banks of NiCads; the factory fitted
watercooled saft STM100 nicads in 4 unequal blocks and then 48V of
secondhand Alcad and Nife Nicads.
I haven't a huge amount of time so I am hoping to avoid dismantling the
saft blocks (I did that a few months ago to fix a waterleak and it took
half a day just to drop one block).

OK. If you are mixing batteries, then I'd use a rectactor setup for your series/parallel contactor controller. It has the advantage that dissimilar packs *won't* transfer charge between them when in parallel.

Does the field really need 120v at 10 amps? That's 1.2kw.
I am just quoting what I read in the workshop manual.

Well, it's easy enough to measure its DC resistance. 120v at 10a is 12 ohms.

I must be missing something, do you mean let the driver directly control
the armature and field current? Isn't that a recipe for a broken motor?

No. Current is torque. The driver uses the accelerator pedal to say how much torque he wants (based on how fast he wants to go). The controller will have a current limit circuit, so you can't demand too much; but beyond that, the driver is the boss!

> > If anyone else wants to try using a T-Bird rear end for their EV, I have
> > a '92 for parts, near Modesto CA. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

It didn't take  long before the 2 9' net gain motors  and the 2k zilla de
teethed my porsche 68 912
transaxel , so the t bird rear has been on my mind ,,, I opened up the porsche
transaxel and it was the spider gears that where gone ,, so I welded up
everthing , both wheels locked , made going around corners a bit funny but not
to bad ,, then one side let go ,, well with just one wheel drive it will realy
smokes the one tire  , but is kind of like bing on ice ,,, Paul has a wideo of
it on www.worldclassexotics.com/testMuleEV.htm   wouldn't open of me though ..
Any idea of the distance between the axels and where the drive shat would
connect ? My one motor already sticks out the back and the porsche trasaxel is
only about 11 inches from input shaft to axels .. I'm thinking of doing
somthing like gone postal did but using some 60 chain ,, one motor per wheel
,this would put the motors  inclose and have the gears sitting in oil ...
Steve Clunn

Hi Evan,

No, but I am being very cautious about my charging time! John Lilly has offered to build me one so I shall take him up on his offer!

Nikki.

DC [EMAIL
PROTECTED])¢Ë\¢{ZŠ{~ŠÛ‰×^žg¬±¨~ŠæjÛ.r¬jv­µ§!y×â•æ¯qªÝ3~ŠæjÛbžâ²Û¶Èì¹çn¢yriǦÓ˃StÈ*.®š,¶)à±Ø¬¦V²¶¬™ë,j²¢êæj)i®ˆ+jh¬ž‹lzÛh±éÝ<°51LãKa©Ýç±§cºËbž
From: "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: EV vs. ICE (was: Re: May issue of Car and Driver confirmed)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:19:06 -0800

Oh what aobout Fun???
Most of us do it for the fun...

Hey Goldie Could use some seat covers...
Some bondo... and other things that Rich Racers have.

Money is NOT what we do it for.
Win?? it's been years since Goldie held a record of any sort.
It's fun Racing with the Boys.

It's not ego... It's mostly fun with some friends Showing what we can do
with out Gasoline.

The power, Range and charging and conversion costs.. Oh that my day job.
That's what allows me to play on the strip.

Madman
In Snowy Kingston. Again....

From: "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: RE: contactor controllers
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:18:36 -0800

Take a look at this 1917 patent of a drum contact controller whose outputs
drive contactor coils that in turn switch series field resistors in/out:
http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT1239840&id=ACoTAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=rot
atable+drum+control+westinghouse

-Myles

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:57:29 -0800
From: Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Tango lane splitting

Not to split hairs (!), but in CA, the HOV (car pool) lane is separated
from the other lanes by two double-yellow lines, usually with about 18
to 36 inches between the sets of doubles.  This is practically another
"lane" for a motorcycle, and indeed, you'll see motorcycles in this lane
all the time, continuously for miles, including CHP.  I've asked CHP
about this, and they say that riding between the lines like this is
legal.  It's illegal to _cross_ these lines to move from the HOV to a
standard lane, or vice-versa; this is an HOV lane violation, and a car
would also be ticketed for crossing these lines.  On a bike, you can
move between the lines, and back to your original lane.

If this isn't considered being on the centerline (as the two double
yellow are considered the divider between lanes), I'm not sure what is.

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:33:52 -0800
From: "Marty Kulmus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

Can we take this OT issue and dump it? I ride and drive a cage and this QSO
is beginning to peeve me. Those who don't ride don't know.

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:46:31 -0500
From: "Darin - at - metrompg.com" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Geo

From: "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Blind EVs
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:47:33 -0800

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:55:34 -0800 (PST)
From: David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: axles/ t-bird rear
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Steve, was this the car that had the VW transaxle? Or did you strip a Porsche
transaxle?

[...]

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:56:23 -0800
From: Marvin Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: EV Discussion <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

> From: John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> PS: Without sponsorship of any kind, anyone could reproduce White Zombie
>> for about $18,000 and go out and kick $75,000 production car
>> butt....just ask Car and Driver (and all those muscle car guys and
>> import tuners that have poured $25,000+ into their machines, only to get
>> blown away by a battery powered 35 year old electric Datsun).

I'm looking more towards reproducing Blue Meanie. Is there a parts/specs
list on your website?
Marv
Culver City, CA
From: "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: EV math is not my strong point
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:09:06 -0800

Really???

I thought inductance had a little to say about that fine little point.

And I wonder how Otmar can read that 20Khz switching hash and really have
the motor voltage locked to 170 volts.

Also the arcing on the brushes also seams to look like 170 volts  not full
pack voltage.

So..I am not sure Physics supports your Theory.

Madman

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:04:54 -0700
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Lost and found images from the old Voltage Forum, looking for there
owner.
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

http://visforvoltage.net/forum/230
Voltage Forum Archives
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:13:08 -0800 (PST)
From: Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Looking for Electric Mower Suggestions for 1 acre
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

I'm not sure if gas mowers have improved much over the
years but my my hacked together electric craftsman
mower is batteryless and I haven't found a reasonable
replacement for my acre yard.
Is there anything new out there I'm just not finding
for an electric mower that would handle that area
without taking days to mow?

I can only think of two options and I'm not sure
either would work.

I have thought about converting a gas reel mower. I'd
think the reel mower would be more efficient then a
tractor with a hydrostatic transmission. I don't mind
the walk but would it do at least half an acre if I
used two batts instead of the one the evalbum one has.
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/546
It just says 2 small yards. Here in some towns a small
yard is the 10ft to the curb in my town it is an acre.

My 2nd option is a trailer for the sears and stick
some big batts in there. There isnt' much if any space
up front I only had 42 volts of 30amphr bb600s as all
that would fit and that took about 4-5 charges to do
my lawn. The mower normally pulled 60-80amps when
mulching. If I put 4 EV145s in a trailer that would
add roughly 400lbs which I don't know if it could
pull. If it could and it didn't up amps that much it
may mow my yard.

If I had another use for the batteries, had a free
reel mower sitting around or had spare batteries I'd
just go do it. But it is all a little expensive to get
the stuff only to get disappointed that it won't work
and be stuck with stuff I can't use or return.

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:22:03 -0700
From: Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Do you also need a diode across the motor with a contactor controller?
Seems like there will be a slice of time, on the order of several
milliseconds, while one contactor opens and the other closes, during
which the motor needs to freewheel.

Bill Dennis
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:26:36 -0800
From: Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED],
        Electric Vehicle Discussion List RCVR <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Some GREAT EV Videos on WNBC

Thanks to Felix Karamer and Cal Cars News for bringing these to our
attention.  These 3 video pieces are extremely GOOD on the subject of
PHEV's and BEV's   especially the last and un-edited 17 minute interview
with TESLA.

Enjoy !!!

My Netscape browser had some problems bringing them up, but my FoxFire
worked just fine.

Here they are:

http://video.wnbc.com/player/?id=65601

http://video.wnbc.com/player/?id=70922

http://video.wnbc.com/player/?id=70885

--
Steven S. Lough, Pres.
Seattle EV Association
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:28:14 -0600
From: Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Well yeah, the Friendly Robotics Robomower.

It's designed to run unattended.  Earlier models you'd put in the yard
and press Start, later models have a docking station that they leave and
return to on a programmed schedule (can't automatically go between
unconnected lots like back to front of course).  You have to stake down
a closed loop permeter wire to indicate your yard.  It is slow, can take
hours or even multiple charges for a decent size yard, but being
unattended runtime is not especially important.

It's a pretty good system.  Also it's just freakin cool.  It is
expensive however.

Danny

From: Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:18:19 -0800

This can be used to reduce sparking, but is not required as contacts do not
die from a voltage spike like electronic controllers, you only see a flash
between opening contacts. It may increase the life of contacts, so the
anti-parallel diode can be an investment in longer contact life.
(Anti-parallel means that it is placed in parallel to the motor, attached to
both motor contacts, but the current can only flow though in the opposite
direction from normal battery feeding, otherwise it would never allow the
motor to run.)
Note that the diode must be able to survive repeated currents to the level
of the max motor current, so it must be a big diode or many parallel! For
example, if you expect to see 600A motor current, then the diodes must be
able to get at least a 600A peak every time you switch "gear" through the
contactor controller.

Regards,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:24:39 -0800
From: "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

I'll gladly admit that I sometimes miss the finer points of motor
dynamics, so if the great madman would care to explain what I missed
I'd be happy to listen and learn.

--
www.electric-lemon.com
From: "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:30:09 +0000

Well my flux capacitor is already finished, so as soon as I perfect my Mr.
Fusion the electrics will be taking the record back :-)

>From: "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
>Subject: RE: EV vs. ICE (was: Re: May issue of Car and Driver confirmed)
>Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:34:46 -0800
>

> > Comparable... Doing a bit of research I find that the first auto
> > race in the United States took place in Chicago on November 28,
> > 1895.
> > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_racing#The_beginning_of_race_ca
> > rs).  ICE racing has been in development for over a century.  The
> > EV racing pioneers like John Wayland and Roderick Wilde, has been
> > at it for less than 20 years.
>
>Well, there were electrics racing back in the late 1800's and early 1900's
>also.
>In fact, electrics held the world land speed record the first 3 1/2 years
>of
>its being tracked from December 1898 until April 1902.  Then, a steam
>powered racer added 10mph to the record at 75mph in 1902.  Then ICE held
>the
>land speed record, creeping slowly up to 110mph until January 1906 when a
>Stanley steam car blew the record away at 127mph in the flying mile adding
>15mph to the speed.  IC's retook the land speed record the following year
>and have held the record since, though it took them 4 years to beat the
>1906
>flying mile speed record that the steamer held.
>http://www.speedace.info/land_speed_record_history.htm
>-MT

Intro*Terms