  1) EVLN(New UK EV charge point at Cribbs Causeway Mall)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) EVLN(La Poste 5 year plan to replace 48k vehicle fleet w/ EVs)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) EVLN(UK Taxman mulls electric car conundrum)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Jaguar XJ6 EV?
        by Finn John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) EVLN(P300K Pinoy Philippine Electric Vehicle)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Jaguar XJ6 EV?
        by Finn John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Economics of balancing amps
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Nice AC motors on E-bay
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Voltmeter
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Curtis 1231C squealing solution
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: FWD friction
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: ebay ac motor
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Replacing the batteries in a Gen I Prius
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: OT: All of original Tesla patents
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: OT: All of original Tesla patents
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Reva is the highest selling electric car in the world
        by Gil Dawson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Reva is the highest selling electric car in the world
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Reva is the highest selling electric car in the world
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Precharge alternatives
        by Tony Hwang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Reva is the highest selling electric car in the world
        by david woolard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Electric Cars: The Next Big Thing [mobile Magazine]
        by Joseph Lado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Voltmeter
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 23) Re: Voltmeter
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) I have been running experiments with high cap NiMH in parallel with AGM
Lead Acid
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Voltmeter
        by JS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26)
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
EVLN(New UK EV charge point at Cribbs Causeway Mall)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bristol/content/articles/2007/03/07/chargingpoint_feature.shtml
New electric car charge point for The Mall   07/03/07

The Mall at Cribbs Causeway, near Bristol, has installed the
South West's first public electric car charging points.

The two bays with charging points will be in the centre's
underground K car park and will be in use from lunchtime on
Saturday, 10 March.

There are other charging points around the country is London,
West Sussex and Scotland.

The launch of the points is being supported by the Bristol branch
of the Battery Vehicle Society.

On Saturday, the group will display some of the types of
battery-powered vehicles available including Microcar's four
seater, vans and scooters.

Vehicle manufacturers will also be offering test drives at the
event.

"Electric vehicles are a breeze to own and maintain," says Nikki
Bloomfield from the Battery Vehicle Society.

"It costs me 1.5 pence per mile to drive mine and I never have to
queue for petrol. If everyone with two cars or who never drove
more than 40 miles to work used an EV for the school run or local
commuting, then Bristol would halve its carbon footprint
overnight and save motorists hundreds of pounds in maintenance
and fuel costs."

The society is in talks to add further charging points around
Bristol.
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere

The fish are biting.

EVLN(La Poste 5 year plan to replace 48k vehicle fleet w/ EVs)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.environmentalleader.com/2007/03/07/france-plans-to-replace-48000-vehicle-postal-fleet-with-evs/
Mar 07 2007
France Plans to Replace 48,000-Vehicle Postal Fleet with EVs

France’s state-run postal service, La Poste, is working on a
five-year plan to replace the bulk of its 48,000-vehicle fleet
with electric cars, The Wall Street Journal reports (via The
Energy Blog).

The cars La Poste used were developed by Société de Véhicules
Électriques, controlled by aerospace tycoon Serge Dassault, and
were outfitted with a specially designed lithium-ion battery
developed by a joint venture of Milwaukee car-parts maker Johnson
Controls and French battery company Saft Groupe.

SVE has yet to settle on a price for its electric car, and it
isn’t clear how much La Poste will have to pay to increase its
fleet. But the car will be significantly more expensive than a
traditional gasoline-powered vehicle because of the high cost of
the lithium-ion battery, which La Poste says would account for
about 60 percent of the unit price. The mail company says it will
save on operating expenses because charging the electric car with
electricity costs about one-sixth what it would spend to fill up
the tank with gasoline.

© 2006-2007 Fast Trike Media LLC
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

EVLN(UK Taxman mulls electric car conundrum)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.accountancyage.com/accountancyage/news/2184997/taxman-mulls-electric-car
Taxman mulls electric car conundrum
The taxman is devising an ad-hoc tax regime for electric Smart
Cars, Accountancy Age understands
by Kevin Reed [of accountancyage.com ] 08 Mar 2007

Though only 100 of the electric vehicles have so far been sold,
the taxman is wrestling with how to value the vehicle’s energy
use for tax purposes.

Conventional vehicles allow taxpayers to claim back fuel costs
against tax at between 9p and 16p a mile. But since the cars are
effectively 'plugged' in before driving, it is unclear what costs
can be claimed back.

Paul Jackson, director of Fleet software provider Miles
consultancy, owns one of the Smart cars, and told Accountancy Age
that he was negotiating a reclaim for fuel costs.

‘HMRC told me to send on my electricity bill, but I charge the
car in different places. They’ve not really thought about
electric car rates, they just don’t know how to calculate it,’
said Jackson.

Jackson hopes to get a discount to reflect the car’s
environmentally friendly status, in line with the government’s
aim to encourage green practices through the tax system. HMRC
declined to comment.

VNU Business Publications Ltd., 32-34 Broadwick St., London W1A 2HG

© 1995-2007 All rights reserved
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere

Not yet. Does he have an e-mail address? Maybe I can drop him a line.

Thanks!

--Finn

Vote for GRIDLOCK in '08! Remember, NONE OF THEM can be trusted!

From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> There are at least 2 "Adobe Writers" on the I-net for free download.

Try the all-new Yahoo! Mail. "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The
Wall Street Journal
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

One free .pdf writer is CutePDF
http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

> more details ? url ?
>
> From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > There are at least 2 "Adobe Writers" on the I-net for free download.

At 9:54 P -0800 3/9/07, bruce parmenter wrote:
Overall, Reva manufacturers have sold 1800 cars

Reva has already sold more electric cars than any manufacturer sold in the US.

Toyota sold about 800 Rav-4EVs in the US, to lessors when their leases expired, back in 2001-2002. No other manufacturer sold any. All electric cars that were manufactured back then were leased. Since then, none have been manufactured for sale in the US.

Source: http://www.sonyclassics.com/whokilledtheelectriccar/

I believe that the Reva cannot be imported to the US. I'd love to hear otherwise, or a confirmation, if anyone knows.

--Gil

1800 ???
Let me do the math:

1800 Reva sold for exportation
1000 Reva sold in India
=
2800, a prettier number isn't it ?
:^)

Cordialement,
Philippe

Et si le pot d'échappement sortait du volant, quel carburant choisiriez-vous ?
http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr
Forum de discussion sur les véhicules électriques
http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr/Forum/index.php
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gil Dawson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 12:34 AM 10/03/07 -0800, Gil wrote:
At 9:54 P -0800 3/9/07, bruce parmenter wrote:
Overall, Reva manufacturers have sold 1800 cars

Reva has already sold more electric cars than any manufacturer sold in the US.
<snip>
I believe that the Reva cannot be imported to the US. I'd love to hear otherwise, or a confirmation, if anyone knows.

G'day All

Maybe I'm being picky here, but isn't the Reva a quadricycle? Essentially a slightly-better-than-a-NEV? Not really a car at all?

At least, the Australian Government wanted to test it as a car, the current owners of one that was illegaly (no import documentation) brought to Australia are so sure that it WON'T pass crash testing as a car that they are pulling out all the stops to get a new category for Australia (that exists in other places) of "quadricycle" so that the REVA can be passed. I guess the situation is the same for the US, where to import them the only way would be to hobble them still further to meet the NEV class as there is not the proverbial snowflakes' chance of passing crash testing as a car.

It is probably more accurate to say that the Reva sales are lagging far behind the sales of GEM vehicles.

Besides that, aren't there thousands of EVs in Europe? Phillipe, how many Saxos and Berlingos, etc?

Just my $0.02

Regards

[Technik] James
Could one make a precharge circuit on a 12V contactor for a EV traction pack
(assuming one had a seperate 12V battery) by wiring up a smaller relay that
would come on when the switched 12V comes on (when user turns the key) that
would connect the precharge resistor, and an RC network with say, a 2 second
delay or so, that turns on the main contactor?

The smaller relay would have to close with a 12V signal, and be able to handle
the full traction pack voltage.

Though the smaller relay would constantly be drawing power when the car is on,
though, even after the main contacter closes.

                                                     - Tony

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Voltmeter
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:16:34 -0600

--
Skip Montanaro - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/
"The hippies and the hipsters did some great stuff in the sixties,
but the geeks pulled their weight too." -- Billy Bragg

Mortgage rates as low as 4.625% - Refinance $150,000 loan for $579 a month. Intro*Terms https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h27f6&disc=y&vers=743&s=4056&p=5117
A couple of friends and I are working on a dual chemistry battery pack for our
EV's.  It consists of a string of AGM lead acid (8 x 12 in my case, 12 x 12 in
my friend's case) with parallel strings of D or F cell NIMH.  By the way, the
idea came from the 1980 book about building your own EV for $1500 (1980
dollars).

  We started with a single 12 V group 24 AGM and 2 x 10 parallel strings of
NIMH F cells (12 V / 26 AH total for the NIMH).  On discharge, it seems to work
just fine as long as you fuse each of the NIMH strings around 25 A each.  It
seems like they are taking about 15 A of the drain each at EV drain rates.
That is good because they are only 13 AH batts.

  Charging is a whole different story.  I thought we would be OK just putting
the 10 NIMH cells in parallel with the AGM and charging it off my 12 V, 2/6/12
A Walmart smart charger.  That charger works just fine on the AGM alone.  The
finishing voltage of the AGM is 13.1 V and 13.1 V is also near fully charged
for the 10 NIMH cells in series.  But, I tried it and it didn't work at all.  I
thought I put a full charge on it, but when I discharged it, I had even less
capacity than just the fully charged AGM alone.  So, what happened?  Why didn't
it charge properly with both in parallel?

  Is it that the charger got confused and thought it was a flooded battery (15
V fully charged)?  It is a smart charger for all 6/12 lead batts, AGM and
flooded.  How it knows the difference, I don't know ... Someone please explain
if you know how it works.  I don't understand because I measured the voltage of
the combined pack and them individually, and it seemed high enough to be fully
charged.  Can I do something to the charger to force it to use the AGM profile
so that it does fully charge the AGM and the NIMH is just along for the ride.
This won't work out too well if I have to have seperate chargers for each of
the 10 packs of NIMH.  Suggestions?  In total, it looks like 4 x 84 NIMH D 10
AH D cells fused at 25 A per string in parallel with my 96 V, 8 x 12 pack of
AGMs should work best.

  Also, I'm not sure if I have the right combination on NIMH to Lead acid.

  10 NIMH for 1 AGM or
  21 NIMH for 2 AGM or
  11 NIMH for 1 AGM or
  12 NIMH for 1 AGM

  What about flooded?

  12 NIMH for a flooded?

  The finishing voltage if the AGM and flooded are very different.  Again, I
don't understand why if they are both lead acid.  Someone please explain if you
can.

  Do I need a diode to prevent charge from going back to the NIMH?  What type?
If I have that, how can I charge the NIMH? What about polyswitches in the NIMH
pack vs just fusing each string.  I like polyswitches because the reset, but
they can take 3-5 x rated current and I don't want the cells to ever see more
than 2C.  At least not these cells.

  Abnother friend had done the same with 10 AH D cells.  He used polyswitches
and a diode.  I don't know how he charges them.  Also, I'm not sure he is
getting full use out of the NIMH.  I haven't seen the system, just talked to
him about it.  It seems to work for him, but didn't work for me.

  Thanks,

  Steve

---------------------------------
TV dinner still cooling?

Hi All,
My voltmeter solution: In my 'junk' pile I found a 5-0-5 volt zero center voltmeter. I added a series resistor to multiply the meter to read +/- 25 volts. Then a bridge circuit consisting of 2 resistors, and two 50 volt zener diodes. The meter now reads 75/100/125 volts. If one assumes my 96 volt system rests at about 100 volts, the meter can be interpreted either as +/-25 volts or +/- 25%. Minor divisions are 1 volt or 1%.

With only +/- 5 volts going to the meter I intend to remote mount the circuitry. I hope to temperature compensate
the zeners as I see some temperature-related drift.

In 1949 I installed a 50 microamp meter in my new Ford to monitor my amateur radio equipment. It lasted 1 week. Delicate meters cannot stand up to the road bumps. So I went to a surplus store and bought several aircraft grade meters. I have never had one fail. I guess they were designed for a hard landing, dropping in
from about 50 feet.  (Cheap meters are probably rugged.)

John in Sylmar, CA
PV EV

test

[EMAIL PROTECTED]