  1) Re: Weatherization and Cooling of Motors
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) Re: Old NEDRA Videos Wanted
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: new DC series motor run-in?
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: wall to road efficiency
        by "Dmitri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: charging while driving question
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: NiMH Battery Packs in Parallel
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: NiMH Battery Packs in Parallel
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: charging while driving question
        by john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Better Data Logging Options?
        by john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: new DC series motor run-in?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: charging while driving question
        by Mark Brueggemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Better Data Logging Options?
        by Mark Brueggemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: wall to road efficiency
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: FAST(er)  NEV's - Update HB 1820 Washington State
        by "bortel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: City El
        by "bortel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: new DC series motor run-in?
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: charging while driving question
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: charging while driving question
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) EVLN(Saturn Aura hybrid, relevant car tour)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) EVLN(Electric shuttles on Columbia, MD pathways & roads)-long
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Bob Rice wrote:
Oh I'll sort 'em later for the foto albums and NEVER do.

This is the gist of the whole issue.

Sure, people will go out there and spend untold hours and effort filming stuff or shooting stills, but they rarely, if, ever, actually do anything with it except put it in a box and forget about it.

Nowadaze, digital photograpy and storage is basically free. This makes the problem worse. It didn't cost you anything so it isn't worth anything. Just bury it in a hard drive somewhere and forget it. I always see lotsa folks supposedly recording these EVents, but they must all just look at them once and that is about it.

So... not next week, next month, or next year, but now, on NEDRA's 10th Anniversary, maybe some folks will actually open up the vault and kick down the footage for ALL to see.

Yeah, I know, a bunch of wishful thinking, but I can still hope  :^D

Yes Bob! Put the good stuff on DVD or email it or whatever and let's get it out there! The older the better. Would really like to see stuff from '97 and earlier.

Would like to see it THIS year.

Thanks

Roy LeMeur
NEDRA Northwest Regional Director
www.nedra.com

Live Search Maps – find all the local information you need, right when you need it. http://maps.live.com/?icid=hmtag2&FORM=MGAC01
Hey Frank, Roland, all.

--- Roland Wiench <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I use a Warp 9 motor as a temporary replacement, I
> can see that the brushes
> were not fully seated or completely full contact
> curve.  Also the face of
> the commentator down to the main motor shaft was not
> insulated, which is
> best to do to keep brush dust from tracking from the
> commentator to the
> motor shaft which is chassis ground.

As I've previously written I really believe your Warp9
and it's chattering brushes was more a fluk than a
norm.  Probably built on a Friday and EVeryone wanted
to get going on their weekend 8^P  Being I wasn't
there I can only speculate, but this is something that
I doubt happens often.

> My resistance values when the motor when new, was
> over 20 megohms to ground
> and after 10 years it decrease to 50 kohms, which
> was cause by brush dust
> tracking to from the commentator to motor frame.

This is the bain of DC motors 8^(

> About every 10 years, I
> normally break down the motor, clean, tested, and
> had it re-enmal by a motor
> shop, install a new set of brushes, did a low
> voltage running test using a
> commentator stone that you can get from a motor
> shop.

Playing devils advacate here I saw John B.'s 11 year
old ADC9 in his Carmengia and the brushes were factory
fresh!  It showed me that a proper sized motor has
EVerything to do with brush wear!  The comm was
perfect and the motor got an A1 from me, having
inspected it last year.

> This time, I had the whole inside of the surface of
> the motor case painted

Whoa now, hopefully "not" the whole inside!  It is
best and most important that the pole shoe to housing
interface remain steel to steel.  Please don't squirm
on this one! 8^P

> with white high gloss epoxy paint and had the motor
> shop enamel the front of
> the commentator down to the motor shaft and up to
> the motor bearing
> surfaces.

While I agree that one can't have to much insulation I
feel that this also might have some other reason.
Simply said, the comm face is made from insulating
material.  You are correct that it can happen and
does, but I'd say it's just as easy to carbon coat a
glyptal, or dip face as it is the OEM comm face.  I'd
care to guess that a sticky residue was left on that
comm face allowing the brush material to attach itself
to, resulting in a ground (or short to frame).
Otherwise a simple blowout would have removed it and
the ground would have been removed.

I see new parts with a manf. proccess oily coating on
them which I believe is the demon your looking for.  I
just got some ADC holders that were absulutly slimmy.
On a lift motor I won't worry as much but for high
voltage EV stuff I'd want to clean them.

> Visual check the brushes and commentator while the
> motor is running. If
> there is slight arcing, this may be normal until the
> brushes have formed a
> complete shape to the commentator.

I think a lot of you guys would be surprised how
chattery motors are when you first juice them up.  A
little brush seating and they tame right down 8^)

> If you hear a clicking sound, this may be one of the
> commentator segments
> being a little higher or the brushes are position in
> the wrong direction for
> the rotation. My brushes in my GE-11 are angle at 15
> degrees so the sharp
> edge of the brushes are moving away from from the
> surface of the
> commentator.
>
> If you motor and brushes are set for a CW rotation,
> you should never rotate
> the motor in CCW rotation or you may chip the edges
> of these brushes.

This has been discussed before, angled or not both
types are made to run both ways.  If you get chipping
IMO there is something not right in Denmark.  I've
fired up lots of motors unseated against the grain (so
to speak) and have never seen brushes chip.  Again, I
can only view things from what "I've" seen.

> If you do have some clicking noise, than use a
> commentator stone on the
> commentator while the motor is rotating.  A motor
> shop can supply you with
> the right type of grit stone for this commentator.
>
> Stone the commentator for about 5 minutes with a
> light touch moving back and
> forth on the commentator.  Continue to run the motor
> on 12 volts.

It's important to stress use just 12 volts to bench
test a motor as Roland states.

In as much as I'm all for doing a test before
installing a new motor to make sure it is in working
order.  To also check all electric and mechanical
fasteners to make sure they are tight (just found a
new ADC9 with loose lead screws)(two full turns loose)
I'd not recommend disassembling the motor or anything
else which might void a new motors warranty.  It is
standard practice that a warranty is voided if
tampered with so to speak.

Well that's all I have time for.

Hope this helps

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

--- Begin Message --- On the other hand, there are lots of new batteries that are supposed to last 200k, 300k miles or more (Ovonic NiMH or AltairNano Li-Ion in PhoenixMotorCars)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter VanDerWal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>