  1) Re: A few newbie questions.
  2) Re: A few newbie questions.
  3) Re: FAST(er)  NEV's - Update HB 1820 Washington State
        by "Darin - at - metrompg.com" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) test
        by lyle sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: A few newbie questions.
        by Tom Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Curtis stuff
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: e-bikes in india ..
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) perfecting by indian makers
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Tesla completes first Validation Prototype
        by "Kaido Kert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) [ebay] DC/DC DCP 300W
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: 120 VDC to 120VAC Inverter Source?
        by Steven Ciciora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: 120 VDC to 120VAC Inverter Source?
        by "David Sharpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: 2007 Power of DC EV Racing Challenge
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 14) Re: Yellow Tops... Yes or No?
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: A few newbie questions.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 16) Re: EVLN(UK Hybrid double-decker bus launched)
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: We Blow Things Up, So You Don't Have To...2007
        by "Martin Klingensmith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: 120 VDC to 120VAC Inverter Source?
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: charging while driving question
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Big Honking Motor
        by "Joe Plumer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: 120 VDC to 120VAC Inverter Source?
        by "Rick Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Prius battery packs
        by "Barry C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Newbie melts a battery terminal
        by "Deanne Mott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Test.
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Crimp hex jaw size needed 4/0 cable?
        by "Mark Ward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: A few newbie questions.
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: new DC series motor run-in?
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
> --- "Barry C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> > I am wanting to build a EV ... Able to run 65-70mph. 35-50mi.
>> > carry 2 adults, 2 children for around the town errands on occasion.
>> > This is doable?
>>

>>No, not practically.  If you can cut either the speed or the
>>range in half, it could be.  If you can recharge at the halfway
>>point of the 35-50 miles, it counts as cutting the range in
>>half.  But if you're really putting on that many miles in a
>>day, expect to replace your pack frequently.
>
> I have been reading and searching trying to find a donor car that I will
> be able to create that would get these results. I have been reading that
> the EV's can achieve these speeds. Is it just that they can't sustain them
> very long?

65-70 mph, is doable, easy even.  35-50 miles is doable, not easy but very
doable.
35-50 miles at 65-70 mph is not so easy.

> My commute from Hayward to Oakland is about 20mi round trip.

20 miles at 65 mph is doable.  1300 lbs worth of lead-acid batteries
should give you about 30 miles range at 65 mph, so 20 miles is only 70% of
that.  This is good.  You don't want your commute to take 100% of you
range because your range for new batteries doesn't last all that long. 70%
of your range means that the batteries will still be able to provide that
much range for several years ( if you don't murder them first ).

>>Another problem is that the Escort wagon starts out on the heavy side,
>> and
>>gets even heavier with all that lead.  So it isn't exactly zippy.
>

>>David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
>>EV List Administrator
>
> I thought the springs may squat, I was thinking of heavy duty springs or
> airbags to support the weight.

Then your brakes won't be up to the task, so you upgrade them.  Then the
bearings won't last long under that much load, so you replace/upgrade
them, then the suspension attachments strip, tear, etc.  etc. etc. etc.
If you are just going a little over the rated weight, then you might get
away with it.  When you go a lot over the rated weight things go south in
a hurry.  It's better to start with a vehicle that can handle the weight.

> I have been reading about a lot of cars out there with 144V and 192V
> systems how are they dealing with the weight in small cars?

Using smaller batteries.  I believe many (most?) of the 192V conversions
are using something like Optima YTs.  These are 12V sealed AGM batteries
that weigh about 45 lbs each.  It only takes 16 of them (720 lbs) to make
a 192V conversion.

> Thanks

Hi Roger -

NEVs aren't required to be crash tested, but the Canadian government got
samples of a few and did just this, then presented the videos of the
tests.

Do you happen to know if the results (or videos) of these tests are available online?
test

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

Citroen Berlingos do 60 mph for 35 miles, no bother (about 75-80% DOD).
They have 16KWh of nicads and are slightly taller than a UK Ford Escort
van. They have a paylod of 500kg so maybe you could lose the payload and
use lead acid instead of the Nicads.

On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 15:40 -0700, Mark Brueggemann wrote:
> --- "Barry C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > I have been reading that the EV's can achieve these speeds.
> > Is it just that they can't sustain them very long?
>
> Yes.  You get speed or range, but not both.
>

> > My commute from Hayward to Oakland is about 20mi round trip.
>
> You gave a range of 20-35 in your other post, which makes a huge
> difference.  35 is almost 2X.  20 miles, even at freeway speeds
> is pretty doable.

> >> It could never hold that much weight, at least not safely.
>
> > Any recommendations...
>
> I don't think you'll need T-145's to get the range you are (now)
> looking for anyway.  My opinion of what a chassis is capable of
> is based on what it would be like to drive it loaded similarly as
> an ICE vehicle.  Imagine putting a half a ton or so of sand
> in an Escort and driving around that way.  Just because you can
> find places to fit batteries doesn't mean you can keep piling
> them in for the sake of range.  Yes, you can beef up the suspension
> but that's just a start.  You have to think about braking and
> handling as well, which means balancing the pack from front to
> back, keeping the center of gravity low, and not push your luck
> with GVWR.  I've seen conversions well above GVWR and consider
> that an accident waiting to happen.
>

> > I have been reading about a lot of cars out there with
> > 144V and 192V systems how are they dealing with the weight
> > in small cars?
>
> They use smaller batteries, like Optimas or Hawkers.
>
> Mark "EV Basher" Brueggemann
> Albuquerque, NM
> S-10 EV

At 02:58 PM 22/03/07 -0700, Mike Golub wrote:
logi did tell me that some of the curtis 1204 are so
old, that they aren't worth fixing, but not sure what
parts they are talking about.

G'day Mike, and All

If you consider the depreciated value, they are probably worth about $0.20 in accountant-speak.

In real terms it is probably considering that the capacitors are that old that they have to replace the caps as well as the Fets, etc when you take commercial value of the labour, that they become more than half the cost of a new unit (or some arbitary value). I'm going to try and measure the ESR of the capacitors and re-use the ones that are OK, if that can be determined. Since I already have an ESR meter, there is no extra cost in doing so (not considering the labour).

For someone who is treating this as a hobby, or considering the wages value rather than a commercial hourly rate value, it is still worthwhile, particularly as there are almost no good secondhand units available, so either rebuild an old one, for which there is a purchace cost of a dead controller, price of capacitors and Fets, diodes if needed, and allowance for labour cost, or to buy a new one. No fun in buying a new one, don't learn anything and can't "tweak" anything.

So far looking at the date codes on the chips, my 1204s look like at least 12 years old, MOSFet technology has improved a lot in those years, so it is possible to make a controller that heats up slower therefore the full-power time is longer. As a commercial proposition it is probably marginal to rebuild these old controllers, but as a lower cost way to get a better controller and learn some along the way it is probably a good thing (your results may vary).

I've been looking at voltage upgrade, 48 volts up to 72 volts. To do this effectively the capacitors are taller, which means making holes in the heatsink (for ones just a little taller) or mounting them on the opposite side of the PCB and not putting the controller back into its' case.

In the case of the 1221s I haven't yet looked at what is available, I have been thinking of capacitors with a bit more capacity and a lower an ESR (if I can determine what that is) of the originals, leave out a few (maybe 3 or 4) and putting an ultra-low ESR capacitor that are used in inverter welders, etc in the spaces. (These are only a few uF, rather than the 220uF of the electrolytic capacitors that are in the controller).

So far it seems that the controller power stages suffer, the control boards are surviving in the very limited sample so far.

The biggest hassle with the blow-ups is carbonised PCB. For me it works to remove all the components and bead-blast the board, removing all of the compromised PCB material, then rebuild any tracks with tinned solid copper wire and epoxy if needed. Again, this is due to what I have to work with (a bead blaster). If I didn't have a bead blaster I guess I'd be using a small wire wheel in a Dremel tool or similar.

Hope this helps

regards

[Technik] James
i guess i need to clarify that the e-bikes mentioned in the
subject lines are just called bikes .. actually they are
scooters .. and are called ebikes for some reason or the
other .. matrix and yobyke are the two that i have seen

..peekay

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thursday, March 22, 2007 2:00 pm
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

> Hello All!
>
> I am working on a project and I need to ask for your input. I have
> a need for
> a 120VDC to 120VAC, 60 HZ Power Inverter at about 1500 Peak Watts.
> I am
> installing this into an EV for a test of sorts.
>
> Does anyone have a source for such an inverter?
>
> THANKS!
>
> David
>
> (Ratliffgrp AT AOL DOT COM)
>

> ************************************** AOL now offers free email
> to everyone.
> Find out more about what's free from AOL at http://www.aol.com.

I have been searching through the archives and on the internet about
using Prius battery packs instead of the traditional lead acid
batteries. I have only seen one person so far that has done that. Is
there a problem using that type of battery?

Went to water my batteries this morning, and found a real mess:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~dmott/MeltedBattery2.jpg

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~dmott/MeltedBattery1.jpg

Car details: http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1020

Batteries are Trojan T125's, I believe about 7-8 months old.  I've been
driving it about 3 months.  This battery actually reads 6.47V measured from
the terminals of its adjacent batteries, but I know that's at best an
intermittant situation. The car has been running fine, in fact I was just
feeling like I was getting the hang of things.  And a *serious* bummer to be
off the road in prime convertible weather :-(   Here's a start on the many
questions I have:

1.  How do I safely clean up this mess of lead?
2.  Is this battery toast, or can/should it be repaired?
3.  How could this have happened?
4.  How can I prevent it from happening again?
5.  Could any of the other batteries be damaged by this incident?
6.  Could this have started a fire inside the battery box?

thanks very much - De

Is this thing on?

--- Begin Message --- I am currently fabricating a hydraulic crimper for my battery cables and am in need of the size in mm or inch for the hex jaws for 4/0 cable. (2/0 would also be good to know)

The plan is to machine a set of jaws that will hold regular sockets that are cut in half and welded in. I already have most of it done but would like to avoid wasting time trying different sizes.

Info appreciated!

Mark Ward
95 Saab 900SE "Saabrina"
www.saabrina.blogspot.com

Barry,

There is a (public) charger list - IIRC the Oakland station has
a public charging point, the charger list will tell you if it
has the type that you can plug into:

Another option is that you check at your actual destination
if they have outlets where you can plug into. Either outlets
on the outside of the building, for vending machines or maintenance,
or other ways to plug in.
Since you stay there the entire day, you can accept that the charging
takes many hours.
Even from a 110V outlet you can charge at up to 1.5 kW if it is not
loaded with other consumers.
During an 8 hour day this gives you 12kWh recharge, which should be
plenty to cover 20 miles one-way (return trip) even when you use
a heavy 'light truck'.
With an EV-optimized small sedan (think CRX style) you should be
able to get under 250 Wh per mile, so you would be able to do a
round-trip from that amount of energy if you are driving carefully.

Hope this helps,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

--- "Barry C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I am wanting to build a EV ... Able to run 65-70mph. 35-50mi.
> > carry 2 adults, 2 children for around the town errands on occasion.
> > This is doable?
>

>No, not practically.  If you can cut either the speed or the range in
>half, it could be.  If you can recharge at the halfway point of the
>35-50 miles, it counts as cutting the range in half.  But if you're
>really putting on that many miles in a day, expect to replace your pack
>frequently.

I have been reading and searching trying to find a donor car that I will be
able to create that would get these results. I have been reading that the
EV's can achieve these speeds. Is it just that they can't sustain them very
long? My commute from Hayward to Oakland is about 20mi round trip. I most
likely would not have the ability to charge half way unless the public
garage by the Oakland city center has charging stations of some sort.

> > Right now I was looking at a Ford escort wagon

> > Trojan T145 6V batteries. (144V 24 batteries)
>

>Not in an Escort.  It could never hold that much weight, at least not
>safely.

Any recommendations... I have looked at Toyota Tercel's, Geo metro's, small
trucks.....
One thing is I am capable of beefing up the suspension.

Thanks for your help.

>Mark "EV Basher" Brueggemann
>Albuquerque, NM
>S-10 EV

I didn't go as far as you do Roland, but I did run the motor a bit and checked
resistances, as well as, checking brush leads like Jim suggested.

thanks for your ideas