Roger,
I think you misunderstood the original question.
Scott wants to keep his off-board Lester charger in case he ever
gets trouble with an on-board charger, so he can fall back to
charging at home the same way as today.
I agree with you that the simplest way could be to carry the Lester
and allow it to be on-board as it works - if it can convince the
J1772 outlets (called EV chargers) to power the Lester at 240V.
There may be reasons that does not work, either when power factor
of the Lester is not good enough or if there is no space for that
bulky charger in the vehicle, then it could be better to get a
modern, small and high efficient switching charger that accepts
240V (or both 120/240) and can charge his 120V pack.

Scott can comment if he wants to carry the Lester or go for
a different charger while keeping the Lester off-board.

Personally I am happy with my 120V charger since I can plug
into a 120V outlet at all places that matter to me, even though
there is a 240V inlet on my Bycan charger that was already
installed when I bought this truck. I might not have chosen
that particular charger due to its bulk. My favorite would
probably have been 3 series 48V switching power supplies
with current limit (and trimmed to deliver up to 150V)

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626