85VWCabrioletEV wrote:

> It makes total financial sense to try to use the Lester as an on-board
> charger if possible.  I know when I first saw that beast of a charger it
> scared the you know what out of me.  Looks like something used to create
> Frankenstein monster if you know what I mean.  (They dont make them like
> they used too....;) )  I am not sure how heavy the Lester charger is, but
> since the back seat has been removed, I am pretty sure I can fit it back
> there somewhere without too much problem.

I know what you mean, and wait until you've heard it humming away at work ;^>

If you mount it in the car, *please* firmly secure it to the vehicle!  This is
a heavy item and will seriously injure someone if it is not secured and you
stop suddenly or are involved in an accident.

> So I think I will try utilizing the Lester charger first, and attempt to
> find a j1772 connector and appropriate cable/wire to connect to the Lester
> 240vac input...... Unless someone out there knows of a reason that the
> Lester charger will not work.  I guess the electronic handshake with the
> evse equipment will be the biggest hurdle to overcome.

The bits you need to plug your charger into a J1772 EVSE are the same whether
the charger is the Lester or not.  Basically, the receptacle and the pilot
circuit.  All the pilot circuit (in this case) does is tell the J1772 EVSE that
it is OK (or not) to turn on AC power to the charger.

So, there is no reason not to buy those bits either way, and then you can try
using the Lester and if it works, you're set; if it doesn't, then you'll just
need to buy another charger to use with the J1772 bits you already have.

Cheers,

Roger.