[ref
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVLN-Electric-NYC-Gabby-Cabbies-Need-Level-3-Access-videos-tp4662605.html
]

Lets remember this NYC Taxi program was not initiated by taxi drivers
wanting to drive EVs, it was thrust upon them by the Mayor. The videos
show somewhat initially willing drivers. I do not foresee them
sabotaging the program unless they have issues that are not being
resolved. Each of them are a small business person: bottom-line/costs
and profits have to work for them; those cabbies will have to see how
much they are saving over ice taxis.

Assuming these Leaf EVs are the newer model with a 6kW on-board charger
capability, ~3 hours to 80%SOC is not going to be familiar: that
downtime may make some cabbies think those 3hrs is time they could be
making money. Those cabbies are quite familiar with a ~20 minute period
to refuel and quick break when driving an ice taxi. If they can charge
at night at home, or if busy, also be able to use public L3 EVSE, that
should help to bridge the transition.

At the bottom of that post, I put another newswire, that states NYC will
have L3. I am concerned, not soon enough. I would have waited on the
launch until the public L3 was in place first. It is all about making it
all the same, yet different.

If you look at that taxi images, am also concerned, that while the the
Leaf taxi paint job looks modern, it has more non-yellow/invisible
surfaces showing. I would have wanted the Leaf taxis be painted like the
NV200 taxis, where they are mostly yellow, as that is what customers
look for to hail a cab. If you look at the nose of the Leaf taxis, they
are mostly silver-color that blends into the background.

It would do harm to the program to have other cars bash into the Leaf
taxis because a few cabbies still driving in their usual wild way, yet
now, other drivers do not see them as easily. When those cabbies drove
that wild way in their ice-taxis, they could get away with it because
the ice-taxis were brightly painted yellow all over = much more visible.
The cause for any bashing won't be remembered as less visible painted
taxis driven by wild driving cabbies, but that they were Electric.

{brucedp.150m.com}

-
-

--