I don't have all those newfangled bird graphics in my 1989 truck,
but the converter (estimated conversion year 1995) did put the
pretty sophisticated for its time digital gauge in the center
console, together with an analog current and expanded scale voltmeter.
The gauge does an OK-ish job in counting down (Ah consumed and voltage
average) the SoC of my 120V lead-acid pack.
But usually I simply remember the last two digits of the ODO after the
last charge and make sure I stay within 25 miles from that number.

However, tonight I wanted to take my wife out for an early Mothersday
meal and since I had some business to attend to afterwards, I was forced
to drive in rush hour traffic (that I normally try to avoid.
So, I was burning the kWh faster than usually from the many stop & gos.
So, by the time that I had driven home, picked up my wife and son,
merged onto the expressway and left it again since it was jam-packed and
took a detour that at least was moving, but with many more traffic
lights and so we arrived at the Vallco mall where the restaurant was
with much less energy left in the pack than usual after only about 15
miles drive. The truck should still be able to go another 10 miles
normally, but I was doubtful if the 6 miles or so home would still be
feasible.

Slightly frustrated about this, I asked my wife and son to look for any
opportunity charging, even though I had no confidence that I had seen
Vallco on the Recargo list. As far as I know, HP on Pruneridge was the
closest charging location but due to the change of that area to become
Apple HQ, I was not sure if even that site would still be operational or
not.
Then my wife spotted a standard NEMA 5-15 duplex with outdoor covers on
the wall of the parking structure. I plugged in and indeed - my truck
was charging away! We went to the restaurant and came back a little over
an hour later, knowing that the truck now had plenty of juice to make it
home again.

In case you end up needing a charge when passing on 280 or Wolfe Road or
during your shopping or dining in Vallco and you can use a regular 120V
outlet then look for an outlet on the ground floor (not the parking
deck) closest to Macy's in the NorthEast corner of the Western parking
structure, against the inside (parking lot side) of the northern wall,
close to the stairs that lead down from the deck with the handicapped
spots that you see in this Google map view:
<https://maps.google.com/?ll=37.326368,-122.016387&spn=0.000403,0.000591
&t=h&z=21>

I don't know if Vallco want it on Recargo as it looks like a plug that
is mostly provided for convenience of maintenance crews or maybe for a
vending machine, but it was pretty convenient opportunity charging...
Note that the spots in that corner are 1 hour parking only, but I parked
a few slots over and rolled out part of my 100 ft extension cord that I
carry for this purpose.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626