Agreed.

I never take my 54 100Ah (Thunder Sky) cells past 80% DoD, but that's enough
for 60 miles range when driving somewhat conservatively in my little Porsche
914, and I haven't had any issues.  I do notice voltage sag starting to
increase, but not enough to be of concern.  I turned off Peukert compensation
on my LinkPro, and my Ah out vs. Ah in always matches almost perfectly (in
fact, it's more likely to overestimate Ah out).  I have some BMS data of a
recent drive that took me to 80% DoD; contact me off-list if you'd like to have
a look at how the cells were doing.  Temperature had much more of an effect
than SoC.  In terms of discharge rate, I used to have my Z1K set at 1000A
battery/1000A motor and the batteries never complained, but I tuned it down to
500A battery limit to try to baby my cells a little more, perhaps coax a couple
of extra years out of them.  My right foot doesn't have enough discipline
without an enforced limit.

Keep in mind that you typically won't be discharging much past 1C, on average,
and that's what the cells are often rated for.  Even when they spec lower
(0.3C, 0.5C), if you look at the discharge curves on the datasheet you'll see
1C almost always still gives rated capacity (or at least very close to it).  At
50 cells x 180Ah, I imagine you'd be treating them pretty gently, so I think
you can simply go by the published Ah rating x 80%, with a 20% 'reserve'
capacity for emergencies/slop.  For reference, my 2400lb 914 uses
1.25-1.5Ah/mile at 173V nominal.

If you switch to lithium I don't think you'll regret it.  The chemistry's only
disadvantage in my book is the "don't charge below freezing" limit.  That, and
up-front cost.  I get around the temperature issue by having a seasonal car,
but up here in New England I would definitely spring for a temperature
management system if I had a year-round driver.  Up front cost is more than
offset by lifetime cost:  I was originally looking at 16 Optimas which would
have given me ~13000 miles (500 cycles * 25 miles), and instead I got 17kWh of
LiFePO4 from which I hope to see >100,000 miles (2000 cycles * 60 miles) for
only about 2x the price.

Cheers!
-Ben