Dielectric essentially means non-conductive.  The whole point of NoAlOx is
to enhance conductivity and it contains zinc powder - some one said (I
haven't looked into it much).

Theoretically, why would you want to put a non-conductive material between
two current carrying members, when a conductive grease would do just as
well at protecting from moisture?  I see no reason not to smear dielectric
all around outside, but it might end up in the current path just the same.

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Hoegberg <hoegb...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> interesting
> Noalox and Penetrox is not the normal dielectric?,
>
> so I would not use it on sensor plugs for example
>
>  http://ecat.burndy.com/Comergent/burndy/product/PENA134
>
> this seems to be zinc-fume/dust in thick non-petroleum grease and used for
> joins with alu-alu or alu-copper.
>
> /John

> > From: marke.han...@hotmail.com
> > To: ev@lists.evdl.org
> > Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 10:04:14 -0500
> > Subject: [EVDL] Dissimilar Metal Contact on LiFePO4 Battery Posts
> >
> > Hi Lee etc:I thought that stainless bolts would be a problem on
> connections on the Cray-3 supercomputer I worked with Seymour Cray on in
> Colorado Springs but the actual electrical connection is *not* through the
> bolt but through the contact surfaces of the terminal top and strap (the
> power supply was 2000A) - although it was in liquid flourinert - no
> corrosion. All the LiFePO4 batteries sold T-Sky & CALB batteries have M8
> stainless bolts and copper straps supplied which are dissimilar metals with
> the aluminum threads on the battery terminals. I haven't heard of
> connection problems from those who actually drive their EV's 10K+ miles per
> year but first sanding or wire brush them & adding Noalox-probably best or
> dielectric grease to the contacts elleviates dissimilar metal galvanic
> corrosion. I noticed that doing nothing in a wet east coast environment
> leaves some white surface corrosion after 20k miles on the aluminum-copper
> contact point. I ordered NORD lock washers & Noal
> > ox from Grainger to redo all my connections with the stainless
> bolts.Have a renewable energy day,mark in roanoke, VA www.REEVAdiy.org
>

> > From: Lee Hart <leeah...@earthlink.net>
> > To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <ev@lists.evdl.org>
> > Subject: Re: [EVDL] Keeping LiFePO4 battery terminals tight every 10k
> > miles
> >
> > Michael Ross wrote:
> >> It is necessary to have a properly sized torque wrench, the willingness
> >> look up the proper torque setting for the materials involved, and a

*Dalai Lama *

Tell me what it is you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?
Mary Oliver, "The summer day."