David's response was timely as tonight I saw a TV ad for a 108 mpg Ford
pih. Now what does that 108 really mean to the person still thinking old
school? That if they pump 1 gallon of chemical-fuel into their tank they
will get 108 miles ... no.
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121011/carnews/121019975

Ford is used the 108 rating in the TV ad to boost sales but, its all
funny numbers when used that way (and not funny hah, hah. Funny as in
totally bogus-dude!).

I feel confident we all know the original intent of the mpge ratings,
and that the rating is actually a combination of both electric and
chemical-fuel mileage. But when a company's marketing dept. is allowed
to use numbers in a manipulative way, to compete, their competitors will
do same (also puff themselves up real big, to look like the consumer is
getting more. Like the large economy-sized box of cereal, only to find a
third of it is air, 'Where's the beef?!').

Perhaps instead of modifying the Electric-miles to look like
chemical-fuel mileage, there should have been a rating that makes it
easy to see what range you are really getting:
20 e-miles + 41mpg = 620 miles total range.

Then the layman would concisely know
-they only have ~20 electric miles
-when driving on chemical fuel, they would get 41 miles @ highway speeds
for every gallon of chemical-fuel burnt.
-And the farthest between chemical-fuel fill-ups is 620 miles.

But that would not work, it tells the truth, marketing would never go
for that!

{brucedp.150m.com}
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where%27s_the_beef%3F

-