On 03/05/2014 01:08 AM, Lee Hart wrote:
David Chapman wrote:
If not for lack of funds I would love to have 2 of these for my G-van.

Same here: I'd love to have a lithium pack for my EV! The big question in my mind is whether they are any good. They are being sold as-is, without warranty. I've been burned before on such battery "deals".

I'll have to wait for someone else to go first, and tell us what they actually get.

A few notes:

1.) these are reported to be the same cells as found in the Leaf. This might make them convenient as a way to create a "48 kWh" Leaf, if one can find space for them. (Or useful as parts for rebuilding Leaf packs.)

2.) the cells in the 2011-2013 Leaf are demonstrating themselves as not being highly heat tolerant, and thus are losing capacity faster than projected in hot climates

3.) it looks like these cells were part of the Better Place bankruptcy liquidation in Israel. Were these cells sitting in Tel Aviv for a while? If so, one might expect there to be some heat and time related degradation.

Wikipedia climate info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tel_Aviv#Climate

Climate data for Tel Aviv (1916--2007)
Month   Jan     Feb     Mar     Apr     May     Jun     Jul     Aug     Sep
Oct     Nov     Dec     Year
Record high °C (°F)     26.8
(80.2)  29.6
(85.3)  35.2
(95.4)  40.4
(104.7)         46.5
(115.7)         37.6
(99.7)  37.4
(99.3)  34.4
(93.9)  35.4
(95.7)  38.4
(101.1)         35.3
(95.5)  27.9
(82.2)  46.5
(115.7)
Average high °C (°F)    17.5
(63.5)  17.7
(63.9)  19.2
(66.6)  22.8
(73)    24.9
(76.8)  27.5
(81.5)  29.4
(84.9)  30.2
(86.4)  29.4
(84.9)  27.3
(81.1)  23.4
(74.1)  19.2
(66.6)  24.04
(75.27)
Daily mean °C (°F)      13
(55)    13.8
(56.8)  15.4
(59.7)  18.6
(65.5)  21.1
(70)    24.1
(75.4)  26.2
(79.2)  27
(81)    26
(79)    23.2
(73.8)  19
(66)    15.2
(59.4)  20.3
(68.5)
Average low °C (°F)     9.6
(49.3)  9.8
(49.6)  11.5
(52.7)  14.4
(57.9)  17.3
(63.1)  20.6
(69.1)  23
(73)    23.7
(74.7)  22.5
(72.5)  19.1
(66.4)  14.6
(58.3)  11.2
(52.2)  16.44
(61.59)

vs Los Angelos:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angelos#Climate

Climate data for Los Angeles (Downtown <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Los_Angeles>), 1981--2010 normals
Month   Jan     Feb     Mar     Apr     May     Jun     Jul     Aug     Sep
Oct     Nov     Dec     Year
Record high °F (°C)     91
(33)    95
(35)    98