Hello everyone,

I'm hoping for some advice on a motor performance problem that has been
building for a while.

I have an ADC FB1-4001A 9" Series DC motor with a Kelly KDH14100D
controller.  The batteries are 13 kWh of ThunderSky LiFePO4 100 Ah cells.
That is 45 cells that are nominally 3.2V for a 144V system.  The controller
is theoretically capable of 1000 A, but I've always taken that with a big
grain of salt.  The vehicle is a Honda del Sol weighing about 2550 pounds.
Details at:  www.evalbum.com/2778

Over the past 6 months, my acceleration from a standing stop has been
getting worse.  In conjunction, the current draw at low RPMs has also been
getting worse.  (I only have battery side meters; no motor side meters).

I found a really good discussion in the EVDL archives from 2009 that was
very applicable.  In that discussion, the original poster was asking about a
problem similar to mine.  He had measured several controllers (including
lower-performance versions of the Kelly similar to mine) and posted RPM vs.
battery current values.

In his example, the various controllers were drawing between 150-200A from
the battery system at 120V and 2000 RPM.  During the discussion, it was
pointed out that battery amps would be lower than motor amps at low RPMs,
until the motor was running at full pack voltage.  The calculations showed
that each controller was running at its current specification for constant
load to the motor.

In my case, with supposedly a higher-power controller, I'm only drawing 60A
at 1000 RPM and only 100A at 2000 RPM.  At about 3000 RPM, I hit 150A and
start to cap out at about the maximum my batteries will put out in cooler
weather.  I'm not worried about the 150A, but 60A at 144V (about 8kW) is
very anemic for pulling onto the highway!

With that background, my question:

I know this could be because my controller is no longer putting out rated
power for some reason.  Is it possible there is some other reason, such as
brushes?  The motor and brushes have almost 25K miles on them.  I haven't
checked them for the past few months, but hope to tomorrow.  Other than all
making contact and not being worn down too much, is there anything else I
should be looking for?

Does anyone have other ideas about what could cause my power draw at low
RPMs to be changing over time?

Thanks for any ideas!

Mike