I just had to do an estimate on solar PV to Electrolysis to H2 storage to
fuels cell to power out.

The electrolysis is limited by physics to be no better than 80% efficient
making H2, and commercially is it somewhat less than that.
Fuel cell conversion is probably in the range of 50% efficient though you
might use 60%   Higher than that is not a conservative estimate.   Fuel
cells are probably better suited for landfill gases, methane, and NG from
the ground.

Personally, I think battery storage is a better choice.   Musk seems to
believe that capacitor banks are still a possible solution better than
batteries.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Robert Bruninga via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> Generally, Hydrogen for transportation (no infrastructure) makes little
> sense compared to EV’s (everyone has an outlet in their garage).  The
> business model for hydrogen cars is very weak (though it is needed for
> trucks and road warriors).
>

> BUT!
>

> There is a future for hydrogen in utility scale applications for the
> eventual Bazgigawatts of periodic solar and wind excess into electrolysis
> of water to hydrogen.  Think of it as energy storage (the holy grail of
> renewables).
>

> But then creating a HUGE infrastructure from zero to distribute this
> hydrogen source  in tiny little buckets to burn everywhere in tiny amounts
> in millions of cars makes no sense, when the utilities can far, far more
> easily burn it right there at their plants to provide a continuum of
> electricity at night and/or low wind.
>

> Another way to look at it is to have the utilities burn the excess hydrogen
> to make electricity and use the grid to distribute that electricity to
> EV’s.  That is a far easier way to distribute “hydrogen stored energy”
> since EV’s and the grid distribution already exist everywhere.
>

> Of course, there will always be a market for SOME hydrogen fueled cars and
> trucks that must do long trips or continuous road travel.  No question.
> But that is something like only 10% or our transportation energy… and easy
> to implement along the interstates…
>

> P.S.  There is another thing I just became aware of.  Other countries
> versus the US with respect to Energy Storage..  Not everything is equal.
> Germany has a different perspective on storage (hydrogen) for many
> reasons…   they have no natural gas like we do.  They cannot use natural
> gas plants to make-up solar/wind shortages.  Where we view “storage” as a
> short-term (max 12 hour overnight) need, they view storage as a long-term
> requirement and not just for backup electricity, but for weeks or months…
>

> http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/blog/post/2014/06/energy-storage-a-different-view-from-germany?cmpid=SolarNL-Tuesday-June24-2014
>

> Just some thoughts.
>
> Bob, WB4aPR

*Dalai Lama *