You asked, "I thought I²R heating was greater for DC.  I am not an EE so
this is not a
rhetorical comment.
"  NO, if the power factor (Phase angle for ac voltage to current) is
perfect, the losses due to current squares times circuit resistance, are
exactly the same for AC and DC, but if the phase is shifted, Power factor
greater than the desirable perfect, then losses are greater for AC than DC.
And perfect is uncommon...

*Dennis Lee Miles *

*Director   **E.V.T.I. Inc.*

*E-Mail:*  *evprofes...@evprofessor.com* <evprofes...@evprofessor.com>