You are correct. We are requiring 2-way communication as well as monitoring of the power being transmitted. If some metal does come near/into the field, the transmitter can easily detect this (big change in current) and shut down the transmission. Likewise if the communication fails, power transfer stops. If the alignment between pads shifts (we call it alignment check) outside of nominal values, power transfer stops. If a living object comes near (basically to the side of the car), power transfer stops.

I've just spent an entire week working with the standard responsible for this, so all of this is VERY fresh in my mind. :)

Cheers, Peter