From: Peri Hartman
> Is it possible to use multiple coils to focus the "beam"?

Magnetic fields are devilishly difficult to direct or focus.

With electricity, we have great conductors (copper, silver, etc.) and great
insulators (air, plastics, etc.) There are *many* orders of magnitude
difference in their conductivity, so we can tightly control where the current
flows.

With magnetics, we have no good conductors, and no good insulators. It's as if
our best electrical conductor was carbon (which we make resistors out of), and
our best insulator was water (which conducts pretty well, especially if dirty).
Imagine trying to make a circuit work where the conductors are all carbon, and
it's submerged in water, which partially shorts everything to everything else!

(Superconductors can give us good magnetic insulators; but they don't work
except at cryogenic temperatures).

> I don't know wave theory but I believe directional radio transmitters work
> by having two or more antennas. Can something similar be done with inductive
> coils?

Yes; sort of. Every electric field inevitably has a magnetic field, and vice
versa. That's why we call it "electromagnetics". However, for these fields to
act like waves, which we can focus and direct like light, the frequencies need
to be very high. The elements of a directional antenna need to have dimensions
on the order of 1/4 wavelength or more.

Wavelength (in meters) = 300 / Frequency (in MHz). At 100 MHz (the frequency of
FM radio and the old VHF television), the wavelength is about 3 meters -- so a
1/4 wave antenna is about 0.75 meters or 30" long. It's not too hard to make
antennas with multiple elements in parallel to focus and direct these
frequencies (like the traditional TV antennas that look like giant metal combs).

At 1 MHz (the AM radio broadcast band) the wavelength is about 300 meters; thus
the tremendously high towers needed to effectively transmit it (the whole tower
is the antenna). It's hopeless to make receiving antennas this big. We have to
use far smaller antennas, that are far less efficient and require substantial
amplification to work.

The inductive chargers mentioned here are using 85 KHz. The wavelength is on
the order of 3500 meters! It's impossible to direct such frequencies with the
techniques used for radio antennas.

Vicor makes switchmode converters that operate just over 1 MHz; about the
highest practical frequency for state of the art switchmode converters. They
had to go to heroic lengths to get their transformers to operate with
reasonable efficiency (90%). Such frequencies are not yet practical for high
power converters.

Lower frequency transformers are more efficient. Conventional 60 Hz
transformers can be over 99% efficient, if you use enough copper and iron. But
to do so, they require *very* tight coupling between the primary and secondary
-- minimal gap between them. This is the opposite of the requirement to have
some separation between primary and secondary as imposed by the wireless
charging proponents.

I think the only way to make a practical "wireless" charger will be to use more
or less ordinary frequencies, and mechanically position the primary and
secondary coils as close as possible. This means either moving the car's
secondary coil or the charging station's primary coil so they touch.

--
Excellence does not require perfection. -- Henry James