Ben,
It is not the motor asking for a certain amount of electricity,
the setup: battery - controller - motor
places the motor in the dependent position, how much that the
*controller* allows to flow from the battery.
So, the short of it is that if the battery cannot deliver as much as the
motor could be taking, then it is the task of the controller that limits
the current (or voltage) to the motor. This means - *you* need to
program the controller to limit the output to the motor to a safe level
for both
motor and batteries.
NOTE that if the batteries are capable of delivering more power than the

motor can handle, again it is the controller that regulates a safe
amount to be delivered, though the controller can be setup to deliver an
instantaneous large amount and throttle back to avoid overheating or
otherwise damaging the motor.

Direct Drive tends to "lug" the motor, meaning: low RPM and high torque.
Torque is produced from current through the motor.

NOTE that for high motor current, it is not required that the batteries
are capable of the same current, as the controller can "multiply"
current at lower output voltage, so the controller and motor must be
capable of handling high current for a direct drive setup, or else you
will be very disappointed by the result.

For example, if the motor is capable of "only" carrying a peak 1000A
while the voltage on the motor is always below 30V because it is running
at such low RPM, then there is no way to force the motor to deliver more
than 30kW
even though your battery pack may be 144V and 200kW!
Note that if you can put a 2:1 gearing between motor and shaft, your
current goes down 2x and voltage goes up 2x so that means 500A 60V, much
more reasonable!

If your motor allows a peak of 2000A and at the normal driving speeds
can
take aound 50V then you are already in the 100kW range, but now there
are very few controllers that can dish out 2000A, in fact I only know
one affordable version and it is the Zilla 2K which is a DC controller.
For direct drive it will likely need a pretty beefy DC motor, especially
the brush setup needs to survive the 2000A currents, but drag racers
have shown that it can be done. Forced cooling of the motor and brushes
is a must!

My previous EV was a US Electricar truck that was a factory converted
S10.
It retained the manual gearbox but there was no stick - the box was
permanently locked in 2nd gear as a fixed reduction, so that the entire
setup allowed the AC motor to spin faster, 1000 RPM for each 8 MPH.
The truck topped out at 72 MPH since the motor redline was 9k RPM.

I am guessing that the question is if you can place the electric motor
*before* the transmission?
Or find the highest reduction diff for your Mustang that you can find,
you need to keep the Revs up to keep the electric motor alive!

Another alternative would be to place the electric motor next to the
drive shaft with a sprocket on the motor axle pointing forward (next to
the output from the transmission) and a 4x larger sprocket on the
transmission output.
That 4x reduction from the motor will allow you to spin the motor at a
decent RPM because the drive shaft typically does around 1k RPM at
freeway speed, so your motor is then doing 4,000 RPM. If that reductoin
is built-in to the motor, all the better.

Success,

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist