On Jul 26, 2014, at 4:13 AM, brucedp5 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> But, what if that plugin (EV or plug-in-hybrid) came with a built-in level-1
> (L1) outlet powered by an inverter drawing from the vehicle's pack?

I'd love to have some variation on this theme. Actually, I'll have a dedicated
30 A circuit for vehicle charging. It'd be great to be able to flip a switch
and run that in reverse in case of power outages.

My roof is already covered in solar panels, but it's a grid-tie system that
shuts off instantly when the grid does so linemen don't get fried. But if I
could isolate my house from the grid on demand and if the car could provide a
sufficiently grid-like output to make the PV inverter think the grid was back
up, I could still run the whole house (including air conditioning, which isn't
exactly optional in the summer in Phoenix) during the day and then through the
night from the car, possibly with the assist of the ICE (and a couple jack
stands, as it'd be a direct-drive setup). I'd shut down everything
non-essential, of course, and use the hibachi to cook instead of the electric
stove / microwave / etc., but I generate enough excess that I'd be basically
okay off the grid...if I could store enough to make it through the night.

Is anybody aware of anything available today that would do something like this?

Bonus points if it's available in a charger that I'd otherwise consider putting
in the car....

b&