On Jul 31, 2014, at 1:46 PM, Lee Hart via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> I believe John Wayland converted one for someone. He's a genius at building
> beautiful high-performance conversions -- have you contacted him for details?

Didn't occur to me to actually try to contact one of the EV gods. But I suppose
it can't hurt to send him an email....

> I don't know much about what Netgain was doing in their solution. If you have
> contact information on it, let me know!

I just called the number on their Web site. The person (whose name,
unfortunately, escapes me) whom the receptionist transferred me to was the lead
in the project and more than eager to talk about it; I'm sure he'd welcome a
call from you.

> Given their other products, I'm sure it was a DC brushed motor.

If I remember right, it was a siamese'd pair of 6" - 7" WarP-style motors.

> Add the EV controller's potbox to the accelerator linkage. Then add some kind
> of mechanical link that disconnects the throttle linkage from the carburetor
> when you switch to EV mode (so you're not "pumping" the gas and flooding the
> engine when it's not running).

Hadn't thought of a mechanical linkage for the disconnect; I had instead been
thinking along the lines of an electric fuel pump and, possibly, electronic
fuel injection, or of controlling the carburetor's throttle electronically
somehow. The mechanical linkage probably makes more sense, though I imagine it
might take a bit of creativity to come up with something that can easily be
switched on the fly from the cabin.

Your description of various hybrid modes lines up with what I had in mind,
though, eventually, I'd like to figure out a good way to have the electric
motors ease off under cruising conditions. But for a first round, that can be
as simple as flipping the switch to turn off the EV system once I'm on the
highway, and remembering to flip the switch back on when I get off.

> It won't matter for your car, but in a vehicle with power steering, power
> brakes, air conditioning, etc. one could also leave the ICE idling in EV mode
> (since the throttle linkage is disconnected). This way, the ICE powers all
> the accessories, using a minimal amount of gasoline, while you EV motor does
> all the "driving".

Right now, the car doesn't have power anything. I don't anticipate adding any
power assist options, but I likely will add air conditioning. I *had* thought
that I might be able to get away without a DC/DC converter as you suggest...but
I'm also thinking that, considering I'm in the middle of Arizona, it'd probably
be a good idea to add active cooling for the batteries whenever the car is
plugged in or on the road. And if I do that, it probably also makes sense to
get an air conditioner that runs off the 12V system so it, too, can run when
the car is plugged it, both to save the interior and my own bum when I get in.
Again, I've got an embarrassing surplus of PV capacity, so I don't mind being
wasteful of electricity like that.

> It only gets complicated if you want a system that automatically starts and
> stops the ICE, and switches between modes based on some criteria.

That, indeed, is the eventual goal...but I'm now realizing that I can take that
part of the process as incrementally as I feel like. Once I can operate the two
systems independently, the worst of it all is done. Maybe it'll take a year or
more after that point to get to that sort of an idiot-proof mode, but that's
fine.

b&