I am with Jan.

The laser thermometers are averaging over the whole patch you see lit up
and they are not hugely accurate because of it.  If the patch is larger
from being farther away or not circular because it is on an angle - it will
not report what you are hoping for. They are best for shining inside a
uniform container, oven, furnace, etc. Or if at a wall, then you need to
take a series of readings.

Imagine on one terminal you slide off to one side and average in some
temperature from the top of the battery case.  Or you have to get very
close to one and far from another, and so on.

Can you share what make and model of thermometer you are using?

Mike

*Dalai Lama *

Tell me what it is you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?