On Aug 20, 2014, at 11:04 AM, Dennis Miles <dmiles33...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The state of the art for fuel cell powered vehicles mandates a battery and
> electric motor system.

On Aug 20, 2014, at 11:04 AM, Dennis Miles <dmiles33...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The state of the art for fuel cell powered vehicles mandates a battery and
> electric motor system.

I'd say "it depends." Likely this will change over time as both batteries and
fuel cells evolve.

Ultimately, my guess is that you'll see mostly hybrids taking advantage of the
strengths of both. But this all seems to be application dependent.

> Because, economical fuel cell systems are only practical as trickle chargers
> or range extenders with the battery concentrating power for accelerating in
> traffic, or as needed.

Not the case. I just yesterday saw a site where fuel cells replaced batteries
for materials handling.  The economics provide a payback to the company.

> Other Hydrogen systems use the hydrogen as fuel for the ICE.

I'm not aware of any of these, but would certainly be interested in learning
about where it is being done.