There is an article on internet somewhere on a V8 hydrogen car that runs
with no throttling, like a diesel and gets diesel like economy. Hydrogen
burns over a wide range of mixture, down to 5%.

-----Original Message-----
From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of Ben Goren via EV
Sent: Thursday, 21 August 2014 10:06 a.m.
To: Mark Abramowitz; Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: Vehicle-apartheid! RI law punishes EV & hybrid
drivers

On Aug 20, 2014, at 12:42 PM, Mark Abramowitz via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

>> Other Hydrogen systems use the hydrogen as fuel for the ICE.
>
> I'm not aware of any of these, but would certainly be interested in
learning about where it is being done.

Regular gasoline engines are, for the most part, equally happy burning
stoichiometric mixes of gasoline, propane, or hydrogen gas. Replace the fuel
delivery system to provide that mixture to the combustion chambers and the
rest will run just fine.

There are caveats. Energy density is different, so power production differs.
Compressibility of the gas mixtures differ, so you need different timing for
optimum results. And hydrogen does really nasty things to metals and gaskets
with prolonged exposure.

But the basic mechanics are the same.

Wikipedia has a good article for a starting point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_internal_combustion_engine_vehicle

Note that this doesn't apply to diesel engines...but, with those, you can
substitute jet fuel, kerosene, or olive oil for diesel with (similarly
relatively) minor necessary modifications.

Cheers,

b&