It is not for some odd political or intellectual property issue that Li-ion
are prevailing in the marketplace.  And some of the formulations probably
have more Ni in them than Li, but I don't know that is a fact.  If it isn't
true weight wise, it is probably true $-wise.  Although LiFePO4 have no
nickel, the aluminium and copper foil are worth considerably more than the
Li or electrolyte content.

With the right management methods Li-ion have very long cycle life - I used
2000 cycles because it is common on spec sheets.  Spec sheets for LI-ion
batteries made in China just plain suck.  I tried and couldn't find out
anything about test procedures used,  Maybe because I am just a Harry
Homeowner and have no real clout, but I also have the impression that many
manufacturers and resellers there simply have no clue themselves.  In
reality Li-ion for larger format cells is still a tiny industry.  LFP seems
particularly easy to make and that invites knock off manufacturing.

Here is a quote from WIKI FWIW:

   - 100% DOD <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_discharge> cycle life
   (number of cycles to 80% of original capacity) = 2,000–7,000[14]
   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_iron_phosphate_battery#cite_note-14>
   - 90% DOD <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_discharge> cycle life
   (number of cycles to 80% of original capacity) > 10,000 [15]

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_iron_phosphate_battery#cite_note-Winston-GWL-Zyklentest-15>

There are references, but I have not tracked them.