I tend to agree... The HOV lanes in the Bay Area are generally almost as
full as any other lane nowadays due to all the single person EVs in them.
So any advantage on those grounds is really muted.

I suppose my point is that there are various incentives that apply to new
EVs that are not extended to conversions, and so back to the original post,
I don't think there's as much interest in conversions simply because it
doesn't offer the incentives of buying new.

Furthermore, I think if the government was to really get behind
conversions, I fear they would implement some fairly strict implementation,
inspection and verification requirements that would make it more difficult
to do. Things like weight requirements that are in place in other
countries, that really impact the implementation of converting a car which
wasn't designed from the ground up as an EV into an EV. That would
effectively kill most conversions right there.

Regards,
Stephen