Ø  consider the robot 'cheetah' at 30 mph when an obstacle darts into its
path.

They did that.  The robot cheetah jumped over the obstacles.  The movie was
cute to watch as the human throwing objects and obstacles onto the
treadmill was working harder than the robot cheetah was in missing them.

Though the icing on the cake was at the end of the treadmill video when the
cheetah blew a high pressure hydraulic line and spewed hydraulic fluid
everywhere and was jerked off the treadmill (to avoid becoming a pile of
junk at the wall)…

There was another video of a free-ranging cheetah robot running at high
speed across a field without **any** attachments (though not at 30 MPH).
 The treadmill cheetah had protective tethers and an external power
source.  The free-range cheetah was completely automonous with a motorcycle
engine powering the hydraulics)  Probably going 15 MPH or so.

Bob