That's a no brainer.  Get a Volt!

--------original email ---------------------
I have a friend who's contemplating buying a new car. I was able to get
him to seriously consider an EV, but he says there're enough times he
needs more than 100 miles range for some random emergency that he can't
consider one, though I'm sure it'd otherwise be ideal for him and his
commute. He's put off the decision for another year until a certain 2013
model something-or-other he has his eye on drops enough in price. By then
I should have my PHEV conversion of the Mustang done...maybe between that
and new EV models released soon I'll persuade him to the dark side.

Another factor is that the used EV market isn't very mature, and there's
still lots of questions about the remaining life of older EV batteries.
Once that settles, I think we'll see an upswing in used EV sales that'll
translate into more demand for new and old EVs both.

And, whatever else I think of Tesla Motor Company and what they do to
what're otherwise damned impressive cars, I can't deny being very excited
about what they're doing for the battery market. I'm going to face some
tough choices when it comes to batteries, knowing that there's going to be
so much rapid evolution on that front.

b&