On Nov 6, 2014, at 9:54 AM, Alan Brinkman via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> How about a used Volt? Or a used Leaf and a low cost beater ICE as a backup?
> Or a used Smart electric car with a used ICE beater?

All suggestions I made.

He's nervous about the quality of used batteries, even though I tried to
explain to him that they're getting real-world lifetimes comparable with
automatic transmissions. Sure, you might buy an used EV with batteries that die
a year or three later -- but you could just as easily buy an ICE with a
transmission that dies a year or three later, too.

His wife has a sales-type job that has her putting too many miles on the road
for possibly even a Tesla, so they'll always have a "backup." But he's also
worried about the might-never-actually-happen instance where he himself might
have to bounce all over the place for some random confluence of family
emergencies that he doesn't learn about until after he's already at work.

The Volt really would be perfect for him. I'm hoping that either they're in his
price range when he decides he's ready to buy (at least another year) or that
something else similar enough is on the market or horizon.

At the least, I take solace in the fact that Volt-style hybrids are likely to
soon dominate the already-dominant hybrid market. And, frankly, if all today's
hybrid models were replaced with plugin models with 20 - 40 miles of range,
that'd pretty much end our private transportation energy crisis. The transition
from such a state of affairs to an all-electric one would be natural and easy
but much less urgent.

b&