John,

I'm in the same situation.  Planning on converting my F150 next year with
parts from my current EV.

I've been researching this for about a year now.  DIYElectricCar forums have
some good discussions if you search.  This discussion is one of the better
ones and most relevant to converting an F150/F250:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53052&highlight=automa
tic

Another good link is this transmission shop that specifically make
components for using an autotran in an EV:
http://www.fbperformance.com/ViewTransmission/?TransmissionID=100

Also there is a Porsche conversion on EVAlbum.  (I don't have that link
offhand.)

Bottom line is if you want automatic shifting then you'll need to install a
low stall torque converter.  And you'll need to change shift points
electronically.

If you want to shift manually you may be able to get away with just a full
manual throttle body.  With the second option you either have to rev a
little at initial takeoff to increase tranny line pressure.  Or get an
external pump plumbed into the tranny lines.  Or make some sort of circuit
to idle the motor.

Still trying to figure out the details.  Would love to share info if you
move forward.

Barry