Hello Cor and all,

I charge my EV call Transformer I back in 1978 from a street light circuit that
was use for one street light that was behind our building.  It was a single
circuit of 120/240 vac 60 hz that came from a single phase transformer across
the street from the transformer.  No other lighting taps came off this
transformer.

The transformer had a rating of 5KVA.  So about 5000 watts / 120 volts = 41.6
amperes.  Prefer maximum ampere should be at 80% of this rating in a normal
circuit.

These type of service transformer may have a service factor up to 2.50% so it
is possible to pull more ampere for a period of time.

The power company maintains the street lights in our city, so I call the
engineering department to see if I can have a service drop of 120/240 vac 60 hz
circuit breaker for 40 amps.  The onboard battery charger had a regulator set
for 30 amps which may surge a bit above this rating.

They approved this installation.  This was on a wood pole, so I made up a
service mast with 20 feet of rigid steel 3/4 inch conduit with a weather head
on top.  The conduit went to a meter base which was then connected to a weather
proof hinge cover circuit breaker panel that hold just one 2 pole 40 amp
circuit breaker.

Install four No. 6 AWG  THW  copper stranded wire to the weather head and allow
three feet of lead out of the weather head which are two phases (L1 and L2)
Black and Red color, a neutral, white color and a ground, green color.  The
meter base and circuit breaker panel was mounted to a marine rated 3/4 inch
plywood painted with a exterior paint.

The plywood was mounted a two lengths of electrical channel that will be lag
screw to the street light pole.  I furnish the service mast completely assemble
with fasteners to power company crew when the came to install this assembly.

The meter fee at that time was at a industrial rate of $0.01 a kwr.  Commercial
rates was $0.02 and residential was about $0.03 to $0.04.  My maximum bill per
month was $1.78 flat meter rate plus the usage rate.

Today are electrical rate is a summer rate of $0.10 and a winter rate of $0.06
per kwr.   The power company have 5 hydro dams on the Missouri river here in
Great Falls, Montana.   Lewis and Clark name the falls as the Great Falls.

Roland

EV Album.com/470