Ah, thanks ALEC.....

I had heard that SRP was doing that.

On the inverter issue, you're going to need one designed for use both with
batteries and grid tie... Or one just for batteries if you go completely off
grid.  Either way, your current inverter will not work.  For one, it can't mAke
any voltage on its own, so you need SRP to make voltage for you--all it can do
is make current.  Outback and Schneider currently have ones that can work with
batteries and the grid and are starting to be able to use lithium technologies
(still 48 volts nominal --any higher is very unlikely due to NEC for houses).
If you want to completely off grid (what SRP and others are pushing us towards)
then magnum is a good brand.  Sma also makes some off grid ones (different than
their grid tie only ones.   This whole topic will be a big issue in the coming
few years so you will not be the be the only one researching it.  Many of the
manufacturers are working on new schemes to let you go off grid in areas where
net metering is taken away or standby fees are
  rising-- I expect to see a lot if new products in the next few years.

Sent from my iPhone