It is possible to go all electric, even in MN, but it requires different
house construction.  Bob Ramlow lives in Wisconsin and says his solar hot
water provides about 70% of his heating requirements.  His book, Solar Hot
Water Heating, describes (among other systems) using solar hot water
collectors to heat a 2 ft thick layer of sand which is insulated inside the
house foundation with a concrete slab floor on top of it, giving over one
hundred of metric tons of thermal mass for radiant floor heating.  Water is
circulated through the sand with PEX tubing, starting around mid August to
heat it up for the winter. With such a large heat capacity, the temperature
of the mass decreases only a little over a span of several days of cloudy
weather.  This, with something similar to passive house design - eliminating
thermal bridges and "wrapping" the house in high R value material - would
likely permit meeting heating requirements in all but the more extreme
stretch of very cold days. Re-insulating an existing house is far more
difficult though since it is almost impossible to eliminate all thermal
bridges due to the house construction.

Air source heat pumps such as the Fujitsu 12RLS and Mitsubishi FE12NA have
greatly improved over the last 10 years or so, operating down to as low as
-20F, and offering COP values of 2 - 3 for -5 F < outside temperature < 30
F.

This was posted by a person who lives in Newfoundland:
"With regards to residential space heating, as noted before, our forty-four
year old, 232 m2 Cape Cod is heated by two air-source heat pumps and last
year their combined usage came to 3,829.7 kWh (and bear in mind our winters
in this part of the great white north are even colder than those of Buffalo,
NY). I should also point out that had we opted for best in class
performance, i.e., the Fujitsu 12 or 15RLS2, we could have theoretically cut
that by an additional 1,000 kWh."

So less than 3 MWh with the better heat pumps.  This would be over maybe 170
heating days, or about 18 kWh/day on average?  Energy use could be greatly
reduced with a better insulated house than the old Cape Cod.