From: "Cor van de Water via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: 12-Jan-15 1:02:26 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EV Demand Response - (now Home solar)

Solar thermal is not expensive if it is installed when the house is
built (or included when remodeled). I have heard from people in the
field that adding it to building code would not only save a lot of
energy but also save cost for home owners once the rather trivial
investment was paid off.
Another alternative - similar to EV until recently - is to do it
yourself.
I bought a second hand system ("hot top" boiler with heat exchange coil,
a drain-back solar panel and a super simple control board for the pump)
for about $400 and installed it myself - removed some of the roof tiles
to accommodate the 6x6ft panel, drilled holes through floor and roof to
connect pipes, even added a small drain-back container since the pipes
were running in a way that otherwise would prevent drain-back. As soon
as the sun started shining in the morning, the pump would come on and
start warming the water.

Oh, BTW, this was a "Luigjes" system in The Netherlands. The control
system consisted essentially of 2 comparators: one compared the temp in
the boiler with the temp in the panel. If the panel was warmer by a few
degrees, the pump was started. The other comparator was protection: if
the boiler temp reached max setting, the pump was stopped (and the water
drained back).
Winter times (with freezing nights in The Netherlands) were no problem,
since there was never water in the outdoor system that could freeze.
The electronics was so simple and low-density that anybody with a
soldering iron could understands and fix it.

This system was running the tap water through the collector (which had
copper piping) as the additional heat exchanger coil was used to allow
another source of hot water (the furnace) to be used to provide
additional heating if needed, for this purpose it measured the temp in
the top of the boiler and added heat to keep the top at high temp -
hence the name Hot Top.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626