Hi Bob and All,     From: Robert Bruninga <bruni...@usna.edu>
 To: jerry freedomev <freedo...@yahoo.com>; Electric Vehicle Discussion List
<ev@lists.evdl.org>
 Sent: Friday, February 13, 2015 8:59 AM
 Subject: Solar EV Boats (was Practical solar EV's)

Here is a photo of my "solar boat":
http://aprs.org/Energy/solar/boat/solar-boatx.jpg
-------------Nice for local putting a most boats do. Especially the shade in
summer.  I notice you put a lot of weight forward that brings the transom up so
it likely about level with the water helps cut drag, improve range, speed.

> Or put a full 2-3kw on it and connect it to your home powering it when not
> motoring would be useful, cool.  A new definition of powerboat!!    ;^)

Yes, the number of boats and mostly RV's just sitting in the sun 99% of the
year are a great place to put solar panels and backfeed the house that 99%
of the time.---------- Not only that but some places don't make it easy, cheap,
to install solar on a home, property and this can be a good work around saving
'engineering', other legal costs.

>  Though 4-5 mph for solar should be doable...

Mine above does 3.3 knots on both trolling motors on full speed.  Drops to
2.5 kts at HALF the power.--------- Your kind of hull keeps it that way so just
enjoy the trip.  It's being on the water that is the point usually.
One of the 18'+ sailing catamaran hulls with the same set up would do 6-8mph if
you kept it light.  To go fast with EV drive your hulls need to be 8x's longer
than wide at the waterline.  You'll find most ships are for the same reason.
        Or a simple pointed both ends box from, plywood/epoxy  works well
giving more weight capacity.            A good solar boat is hard to beat
especially connected to the home, grid when not being a boat.
                     Jerry Dycus

But now I am humbled by looking at your amazing home-built below!  I never
thought of the autopilot!  What a great idea.  Because that is all I ever
do, is just take a loop around the creek!  Bob, WB4APR

>  My Firefly's motors (http://www.evalbum.com/3432) are only about 800
> watts total power from my crude homemade panel is 140 watts.  This gives
> me roughly a 4.:1 ratio of charge to drive during daylight i.e. it take 4
> hours of sunlight to allow travel for 1 hour.  While that only means 3-4
> miles of travel, it's more than enough to travel to the end of the lake
> and back.  The boat was purpose built to fish, cruise and dive off on a
> small lake so big power or speed wasn't considered but it is still
> practical.  Obviously more speed requires more power and the panel size
> and weight becomes an issue.  I have a larger faster electric boat I plan
> to convert to solar some day (
http://www.evalbum.com/4767) but I expect the charge ratio to be  30:1 if
the boat could maintain full throttle for 1 hour, but likely closer to 10:1
for normal cruising speeds.

Dan Baker

http://www.evalbum.com/3432
http://www.evalbum.com/4767