On 03/27/2015 05:53 AM, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

Electric cars are charged by means other than by plugging them in, something
which is very helpful in getting a bit of extra range. But the amount of
energy recovered like this isn't going to be dramatic unless your trips
involves a lot of steep downhill driving. Although as the video here will
show, towing the car behind a truck is also very effective.

This reminds me of how I got my imiev home this past December. I believe I reported it here.

I bought the imiev from a dealer about 200 miles distant. A friend and I towed the imiev with the Tesla about 60 of those 200 miles. Two towing sessions of about 30 miles. Tesla SuperChargers supplied the energy for the imiev. It was cold and I ran the imiev heater while being towed. Stayed toasty. Under those conditions without a tow load, the Tesla would expend about 300-350 wh/m. Towing the imiev, it was about 500 wh/m.

The imiev manual shouts that the imiev is never to be towed with the rear wheels on the ground. Never the less, I encountered no trouble. We towed at moderate speed, around 50mph, and I kept the regen power in the mid range by selecting the appropriate amount of regen.