More here.. http://santamonicapd.org/Content.aspx?id=52058
      From: Ben Goren via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
 To: Peri Hartman <pe...@kotatko.com>; Electric Vehicle Discussion List
<ev@lists.evdl.org>
 Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2015 8:27 PM
 Subject: Re: [EVDL] Charging-EVr PD-assaulted> pushed, handcuffed, punched,
pepper-sprayed +

On Apr 26, 2015, at 7:30 PM, Peri Hartman via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> Either something huge is missing from the story or we're seeing incredibly
> poor judgment by police officers.

Alas, I fear the only thing "missing" is a realization that this sort of shit
goes on all the time, and it's only quite rare that there's somebody with a
camera there to film it. The only "poor judgement" the officers are going to
consider themselves guilty of is not noticing the bystander with the camera.

"Driving While Black" is outrageous enough...apparently "Charging While Black"
needs to be added to the list.

I have some small hope that the increasing ubiquity of smartphones will help
keep the cops better in line...but cops are also well known for intimidating
bystanders into destroying evidence that incriminates corrupt cops, if
necessary by arresting the bystanders for failing to comply with a police order
and then "accidentally" destroying the evidence themselves.

There're lots of good cops on the beat, to be sure...but the system as an whole
stinks to high heaven.

Regardless...a sad lesson for EV drivers with a built-in suntan. You're at as
much danger from the cops when you're charging as you are when you're driving;
plan your charging accordingly, be aware, and protect yourself. Maybe even
invest in a dsahcam of your own, and a particularly inconspicuous one at
that....

b&