http://www.hybridcars.com/open-source-project-hopes-to-offer-23000-ev-with-186-miles-range/
Open Source Project Hopes To Offer $23,000 EV With 186 Miles Range
by Sarah Shelton  May 14, 2015

[images
http://www.hybridcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Luka-EV.jpg

http://www.hybridcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Luka-EV-2.jpg

http://www.hybridcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Luka-EV-electrification-parts.jpg

http://www.hybridcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Luka-EV-chassis.jpg

http://www.hybridcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Luka-EV-battery-pack.jpg
]

An open source project is currently in the works to build an electric
vehicle powered by in-wheel motors.

The goals are ambitious: 1) Build an electric vehicle with a minimum range
of 186 miles that can theoretically be put into production and sold for
under $22,700. 2) Share the design so that others can replicate or customize
the platform. 3) Do it all in less than a year.

“The overall aim is to show that all electric cars can be competitive,” said
MW Motors of the prototype, which it has named the vehicle the Luka EV.

Working from a shop in Plzen, Czech Republic – about 50 miles west of Prague
– MW Motors’ team was formed by a handful of enthusiasts. The team plans on
sharing full details on the Luka EV on Hackaday.com, a website that
encourages an open exchange of ideas, with an emphasis on engineering.

“We hope that by open sourcing everything we may even encourage small
companies to open building cars locally in different countries,” said the
project manager.

The project itself is an experiment on a small scale, limited to one vehicle
for now. But if the prototype successfully meets the team’s goals, MW Motors
see three possibilities. The first is that an outside company will take the
concept and customize it to fit a specific market segment.

“We are sharing a platform, not just a car called the Luka EV,” explained MW
Motors. “The platform is very flexible. We think that with subtle changes to
the chassis design that people can make themselves, it should be easy to
make a range of cars [such as] a family car, a modern city car, a taxi or
even light goods vehicles.”

The company could also commercialize the Luka EV, though MW Motors doesn’t
know if this is a suitable direction.

“We are not sure if we will make it commercial or just leave a platform for
others to develop,” MW Motors said.

The team leader said the most likely option of the three is to create a kit
car for consumers to assemble.

“We will probably sell all the parts needed to make a car as a kit,” said MW
Motors. “Furthermore, we will release details of all the vendors we use and
(if legally possible and approved by a vendor) we will say how much each
component costs us. If this is not possible, we will bundle products” to
sell items such as the wheels and tires together. “Bundling would get us
over the potential legal issue of showing the amount we paid for a single
item.”

No matter which opportunities, if any, the project eventually leads to, two
final items must be checked off for MW Motors to call the Luka EV a success:
the design must be production-grade and a few vehicles must be sold at a
profit.

“In order for the project to be meet all the stated aims, we must sell some
vehicles for under 20,000 euros [$22,700] and we must give documentary proof
that we make a profit selling for 20,000 euros. So, without doubt we will
need to form a legal entity, make some cars and sell some cars,” MW Motors
said.

Though the Luka EV’s platform could be altered to create a larger sedan or
taxi, MW Motors noted that the expected market is most likely individual
commuters:

“We did not have a target market at the start of the project … But, talking
to people, it seems the majority of people seem to think this would be a
perfect car to go to and from work in.

“Usually an individual has to pay for the petrol to get to and from work,
and almost always they go to work alone. The journey to work is usually
short – below 50 km [31 miles] one way, 100 km return. As such, the Luka EV
would seem ideal.”

The car “only having the seats is not a problem as the kids usually do not
go to work with you,” added MW Motors.

Significant progress has already been made since the project began. During a
recent 5.5-hour range test, the Luka EV drove 128 miles on a single charge,
reaching a top speed of 47 mph.

The next step is to have the car road certified. Yesterday, MW Motors
learned last minute that the testing center in the U.K. has an opening for
May 22, and is scrambling to prepare.

“Very few pass the test first time around so it is likely we will fail,” MW
Motors said. “However, even failing will be good because we will get a
definitive list of faults we need to fix.”

Powertrain
MW Motors wanted only electric power for the Luka EV, selecting hub motors.
Mounted within the wheel assembly, the company said it picked this
technology because it hub motors arelightweight with few complex parts.

By mounting the electric motors on the wheels, the amount of weight on the
suspension is also reduced.

“If we can prove that it is possible to overcome at least some of the
perceived negative aspects of hub motors, the project would be worthwhile,”
the team leader explained.

The team is still deciding between two and four hub motors, depending on the
battery, each costing about $600.

MW Motors is testing two different batteries on the Luka EV: a 19.2-kilowatt
hours (kWh) and a 24 kWh unit. Both batteries feature a lithium iron
phosphate 4 mH chemistry.

Structure
Keeping the weight as low as possible was a priority, said MW Motors. The
goal is for curb weight to measure under 1,660 pounds, which is lighter than
the 1,800-pound Smart Fortwo.

“Weight is critical!” MW Motors emphasized. “Power [requirements have] a
direct relationship to weight. Less weight equals less power required,
equals less batteries and smaller motors, equals less weight. [It’s] a
virtuous circle.”

To keep weight low, the Luka EV’s body, doors and hood are built from
fiberglass. For the chassis, MW Motors located a basic, street legal
blueprint to fit the body. The chassis includes a ladder frame and a roll
cage.

Design
Meticulousness is required to meet all the standards for the U.K.’s
certification, the team said, comparing the list of regulations to a
minefield.

“Nothing difficult but great attention to detail required” for the interior
and exterior specs, MW Motors explained.

“Too expensive to hire Pininfarina. That would cost millions,” MW Motors
lamented. Instead, the company took inspiration from the “world of gaming.”
Three-dimensional online images were used at a cost of about $100. These
were transferred to foam, which was then used to make the fiberglass molds.

For the interior, MW Motors used seats from a Mazda MX5, adding
off-the-shelf parts for components like the seat belts, labels for the
controls and door latches.
[© hybridcars.com]

http://ecopreneurist.com/2015/05/11/open-source-street-legal-ev-project-in-the-works/
Open Source Street-Legal EV Project in the Works
By Christopher DeMorro  [2015/05/11]

Some of the world’s greatest minds are hard at work developing an
affordable, long-range electric car for the masses, but the technology
needed to do so may already be out there. The Luka EV project at HackaDay is
utilizing readily-available open-source information in an attempt to build a
186-mile EV that weighs less than 750 kg/1,653 lbs and only costs around
$22,000.

The Luka EV is already well underway, pulling its design from open source
video game files rather than hiring a dedicated designer. The body is built
from fiberglass, and in-wheel hub motors were chosen as a way to eliminate
as many moving parts as possible. The Luka is designed to be as simple as
possible to keep it affordable, as well as make mass production easier to
attain.

There were be two battery pack variants, 19.2Kwh and 24Kwh LiFePo4Mh that
can provide up to 300 km/186 miles of driving per charge, and the first test
drive took the Luka’s designers 205 km on one charge. Most importantly, it
has been designed to actually pass EU crash testing standards, meaning it
could be built and sold by anybody with the plans and wherewithal.

About the only place the Luka comes up short is top speed and, presumably,
acceleration. With a top speed of 80 MPH, here in America the Luka would
barely be able to keep up with the flow of traffic. It is, however, a
gorgeous looking electric car, and one that would fit well within the budget
of many would-be buyers. The project finish date is September, and from the
looks of it the team from MW Motors is going to meet their goals, and then
some.
[© ecopreneurist.com]
http://gas2.org/2015/05/11/project-to-build-open-source-street-legal-ev-underway/
https://hackaday.io/project/5066-luka-ev
Luka EV project at HackaDay

For EVLN posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/who-are-you-going-to-believe-toyota-or-tesla/2015/05/15/5701760e-f9a7-11e4-a47c-e56f4db884ed_story.html
Who are you going to believe: Tesla or Toyota?

http://gas2.org/2015/05/15/feedback-hyundai-tucson-fcev-owners/
fcv Refueling Takes Longer Than Advertised

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/05/12/solar-impulse-2-takes-renewable-energy-clean-tech-to-new-heights-says-pilot/
Solar Impulse 2 eplane takes renewable energy and clean tech to new heights,
says pilot

http://www.energymatters.com.au/renewable-news/solar-batteries-toyota-em4820/
Solar And Old hev Batteries Powering Yellowstone Campus

http://bikeportland.org/2015/05/12/first-look-yubas-new-spicy-curry-electric-assist-cargo-bike-143114
Yuba’s new ‘Spicy Curry’ electric-assist cargo bike

http://cleantechnica.com/2015/05/12/india-rolls-out-ev-incentives/
India Rolls Out EV Incentives for scooters,motorcycles,cars,buses, +

http://cleantechnica.com/2015/05/14/smith-electric-signs-deal-with-fdg-electric-vehicles-for-new-joint-venture/
Smith Electric,FDG-EVs.cn JV Deal, cn to the rescue again
http://evobsession.com/smith-electric-vehicles-signs-agreement-with-chinese-partner/

http://www.dogonews.com/2015/5/1/german-car-manufacturer-audi-creates-fuel-from-air-and-water
OT: Audi creates Sunfire fuel from CO2inAir+water+RE> use in a pih

http://www.power-eng.com/marketwired/2015/05/14/envision-solar-completes-further-successful-deliveries-of-ev-arc-tm-solar-powered-transportable-ev.html
Envision Solar Completes more EV ARC solar EVSE Deliveries

http://cleantechnica.com/2015/05/14/solar-ev-charging-via-advansolar-crowdfunding-opp/
Solar EV Charging via Advansolar (Crowdfunding Opp)
+
EVLN: Manowitz Builds an Electric Roadster in Manhattan, NY

{brucedp.150m.com}