Generally speaking hub motors without shafts have a high unsprung weight and therefore have a rougher ride and a lot of stress on the motor. 24 kwh = 186 miles is more what I have problems with. 4 miles / kwh is great efficiency better than Tesla. The article did mention a max speed of 47 mph and rule of thumb at 45 mph aerodynamic forces are not significant so light weight vehicle does very well.

Michael 'T-Rex' Kadie

-----Original Message----- From: EVDL Administrator via EV
Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2015 8:08 PM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: Open Source Street-Legal affordable long-range EV4the masses

On 17 May 2015 at 19:22, Mike Nickerson via EV wrote:

Personally, my skepticism revolves around the hub motors (pun intended). Lots
of people have tried them, and few or none have succeeded.

I'm sure I've missed some of the attempts, but this is one I recall that
came close to success (though nowhere near production).  They mention some
handling problems but (I think) blame them on the somewhat high CG and
narrow track.

http://www.gaura.com/ev/luciole/index_e.html

I have to confess that I've been smitten with this little gem since I first
read of it in the late 1990s.  It's impressive design work for college
students, quite refined.  What a pity it never even got close to production.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator