To determine what size and load rating that is require for a vehicle, first
find out what the static load that is on each wheel and tire.

Lets say the vehicle weighs 3000 lbs and the weight distribution is 50/50.
Meaning 1500 lbs on each axle or 750 lbs on each wheel and tire.

In choosing a wheel, it is recommended to add a percentage over the actual load
on each wheel or about 1.25% over the load on the tire and wheel.   For are
example of a 750 lb load rating, choose a tire with a minimum of 1000 lb max
load rating.

Also choose a wheel with the same load rating as the tire.

Lets say the load rating of the tire is 1000 lbs max at 40 psi, and you only
have 750 lbs load on that tire, this does not mean to air the tire to 40 psi.
To determine the best psi setting to use, test the tire deflection rate by
doing the following test:

Jack the tire off grade and air it up to the maximum psi rating that's on the
side of the tire.  Now lower the tire to where it touches the ground.  Measure
from the ground to the rim of the wheel.  Record this measurement.  Now lower
the tire to the ground putting full weight of the vehicle on the ground and
measure again to the same reference point.

Lets say it reads 0.5 inch difference between the full load and unloaded weight
of the vehicle.  The 0.5 inch deflection is about the standard that is use for
most vehicles.  If the deflection rate is more than 0.5 inch than add some air.

Some truckers may use a deflection rate at about 0.385 inch or 3/8 inch for
smooth highway surfaces to decrease fuel usage.  I have tried the 3/8 inch
deflection rate, but it gives a very harsh ride and on rough roads, it does not
allow the tire to roll smoothly over wavy roads.

If you use a open spoke wheel that allows air to go thru the wheel, it is
recommended to install a aluminum deflection plate about 0.125 inch thick that
goes between the wheel and the axil flange, to prevent the air to go thru the
wheel.

Roland